Concrete sectional workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at moving house next year, partly to get out of an area that is devaluing, but also to get more space for a workshop. One thing that has caught my eye is the potential of a concrete sectional workshop - within the (generous) planning limits I wouldn't need permission, and it looks like the costs are about a third of what a brick garage would be. Does anyone have experience with either these as a product or specific companies? Stories positive and negative would be welcomed!

Cheers.

I've been using a Compton garage as a workshop for 15 years without any problem

The only suggestion I would make is to insulate the roof to stop the condensation dripping

I have an old concrete garage as a workshop. it came with the house, and I don't do enough as a hobby to justify knocking it down and rebuilding it.

I have insulated it and replaced the concrete roofing panels with sheets of ply and onduline. It may have been asbestos, I had to dispose of it as such and wore the protective gear as though it was when I took it off.

Given the choice, I would have brick or timber in its place, but it is functional when insulated. Insulation made a big difference to noise and heat escaping.

My first workshop was a small concrete sectional that i bought second hand. If well insulated, they are perfectly fine.

PVA the walls and then paint them white.

You will be amazed how much brighter and bigger it will feel.

Thanks all. The ones I have looked at come with internal boards on the roof area to avoid condensation, and I will deck out the inside with studs and ply with insulation board behind them. Probably looking at something the size of a triple garage ideally.

I have a sectional concrete garage as my workshop.

As mentioned, condensation on the steel roof was an issue, but spray foam sorted that for me (but sounds like you already have that covered). I second the advice re painting the walls.

The supplied woodwork was, on all the different makes I looked at, pretty naff, so I budgeted for a new personnel door and fitted it myself.

For cost and ease of construction (my single garage was put up in about 4 hours) they're hard to beat. I do want a nice brick and wood one in the future though...

Thanks all, sounds like this is the route I'll go, paying attention to suitable doors and budget for paint. I think I'll also paint the floor with decent concrete paint.

The only other downside apart from the roof is the walls are a pain in the star if you ever want to fix stuff to them.

I've got a concrete sectional garage that is probably 20 years old in a house I bought a few years ago.
I got a company to replace the roof with metal sheeting (didn't fancy the climbing, or getting rid of the old stuff), and I'm just in the process of sorting it all out a bit inside.

I will probably give the walls a bit of paint, but it's already loads better with some cheap Ikea shelving (I had a spare IVAR unit with loads of shelves from the kitchen, so with an extra side and spreading the shelves out I've got two bays now).

To secure it I put battens up on the walls, using eye bolts secured into the bolts holding the panels together. It works fantastically well and is really easy. I found the idea from a blog, which includes pictures etc. I can't post links, but if you google "DIY Projects And Stuff: Pre Fab Garage Overhaul" it'll be the top result.

I was worried about drilling it, as I'd heard all sorts of stories of cracking and chipping, but totally avoided doing it, yet have still got a solid connection to the wall.

Back