Competition - CLOSED - Results 9am MONDAY

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please vote for your choice

• Cutlery canteen - AndyG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chisel Cabinet - Dedee

• Bowfront Chest of Drawers - Johnboy

• Small Bowfront Cabinet - Jorden

• Pew Seat with Storage - Offcut

• Mirror with Secret storage - Steve Maskery

• Lacewood Veneered Box - StevieB

• Scalectrix Chest - Syntec4

• Cherry Cabinet - Waka

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted AndyG for the large panel of difficult joints, a great design, a good choice of wood for each component, and he used a finish which celebrates the wood beautiful natural grain.
Good word Andy :wink:

Also well done to all the participants, beautiful projects all around.

And of course nice job Neil in making this competition something really exciting :D

Wow, very high standard, very hard to make a decision, I viewed the entries hoping that one would leave more of an impression than the others, for me it was:

AndyGs' cutlery canteen, I was really impressed by the level of detail, quality of workmanship, and the overall look of the finished piece, the only criticism I would have was the choice of hinge, I think it spoils the piece :cry:. I hope Andy has a set of cutlery worthy of such piece.

Woodpecker & CYC,
Many thanks for your votes :)

The hinge was a bit last minute. The lid is quite solid and weighs a fair bit, so I needed either two large hinges, or a piano hinge. Because of the curve and the size of the lid frame (about 1/2" square on the long sides) there wasn't much to attach a hinge too, so it had to be the piano hinge really.

As for cutlery. Not yet!! I'm getting Married next year, so we might get some as a present then :)

Martin, thanks for the feedback. The largish frame was kinda necessary to hold the double panelling (inner and outer). But yes, perhaps the horizontal parts could have been a bit thinner. Apart from that, there's not much that could have been trimmed down.

Thanks again
Andy

Newbie_Neil":3hdqsuez said:
Hi CYC

CYC":3hdqsuez said:
And of course nice job Neil in making this competition something really exciting :D

The thanks need to go to Alf for her inspired idea about the curve.
And giving up the planes... :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

Who figures if she's gonna have to suffer the loss she might as well reap the credit too. :p :lol:

Ever tho I’m new to the whole woodwork scene, it’s clear that all the piece submitted in the competition were of the highest standard, well done everyone :) , wish I could make something that good!

And although it was very tough to choose just one piece as the winner, for me it has to be Andy G, I just like the overall concept; the quality of workmanship is first class, and I just love your attention to detail!! Well done Andy! :p

Nads

Nice work from everyone =D>

In the end i went for Jorden but it was a hard choice..... I like the use of contrasting timbers and it stands out....very nice

I also liked everyone elses but Jordans stood out for me

best of luck

Ian

Congratulations to all the entrants. Each piece is of a really high standard.
My vote goes to Johnboy and his bowfront cabinet. He not only produced a beautiful piece that would grace anyones table, but he captured the spirit of the competition theme.

Drew

in the end i think it is unfair asking us to vote, but congratulations to everybody for such different approaches to the same problem.

it is useful to see how things are done, and the results.

so what's next.

thanks guys for adding excellence to the forum.
paul :lol:

Well, what can I say that has not been said already. Well I am going to anyway.
Thanks Neil for pulling everything together and Alf for the curved idea and to all the mods. That curve had been stumped for a long while.

It is reward enough to even be in a list with the other entrants but to have actually picked up some votes as well has made my day, week, nay year.

I have learnt a lot from all the entrants and from attempting things not previously tried - not all of which made it to the completed project by the way. And surely learning is what we are all here for.

Apologies for not replying sooner but I have been in France with an old PC, a very weak and slow internet connection and a keyboard that would have sent Steve Maskery into another rant had I tried to use it :lol: . Never mind a common european language the QWERTY keyboard should be standardised.

I digress. Mmy vote (and HID's) has gone to Johnboy although Offcut's dual purpose seat and storage come very close.

thanks again to all
Andy

That was a tough vote - all the entries were great. In the end I went for the chisel storage because it was my kind of woodwork - reworking an old board into something handsome, trying out new techniques and simple tools, and being brave enough to finish resawing that board with a handsaw!

If the next comp has no curves I may have a go myself.

dedee":u0r2kryb said:
I have a keyboard that would have sent Steve Maskery into another rant had I tried to use it :lol:

Rant? Moi? Surely not! :D

I don't know about you but I've thoroughly enjoyed following this. I'm astonised that so many people have taken me seriously, I KNOW that the storage is an afterthought, a gimmick, and, what shall I say, tangential, to say the least. I entered because last time there were very few entries IIRC, and if someone is going to the trouble of running a comp, it deserves our support. Nevertheless, I'm delighted, not to mention gob-smacked, to find I've picked up a couple of votes. I love you all, as the fat lady at the end of Morcambe and Wise used to say.

What particularly pleases me is that EVERYONE has picked up some votes. Great!

If Johnboy doesn't win overall there will be riots in the streets, it's beautiful.

Cheers
Steve

A very BIG well done to all the entrants =D>
I have been reading the post and have been findind it very very hard to pick one I like more.
I take my hat off to all that tryed some thing new for the comp ( I will pull mey finger out for the next one as I would be mopre than happy to be in with you all )
It has come down to two :-k ( I think )
Syntec4 is one for a very good box and just your 3rd piece, very well done and Johnboy for a very nice chest of draws
Well hear comes the hard bit, It has to be Johnboy but with Syntec4 a close second.

AndyG gained my vote, simply for the range of complex and technical joinery involved. For that alone, it stood out from the rest of the entries. He was bold enough to have a go at it and, what's more, he pulled it off superbly! :D

It was still pretty tough for me to say 'sorry' to the other projects. And, for similar reasons to those mentioned above, I'm still keen to see how Stewart's project develops even though he couldn't meet the deadline.

I'm sure he'll be fit and raring to go in the workshop again in no time! :wink:

Excellent competition all round, much credit must go to the organisation in sorting our list of finalists in to a voting poll.

Hopefully, I'll be ready to have a go at the next one, when the time comes... :wink:

I'm very impressed with all the entrants.
Well done to all of you.
And to everyone involved in the organisation of the competition.

=D> =D> =D> =D>
=D> =D> =D> =D>

FelderMan":kofh7zkp said:
I'm very impressed with all the entrants.
Well done to all of you.
And to everyone involved in the organisation of the competition.

=D> =D> =D> =D>
=D> =D> =D> =D>
And I'd like to second that. =D> =D> =D>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back