The UKW Box Competition - HERE IT IS!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
UKW Box Competition

OK hopefully this is what you have all been waiting for and as requested and hopefully this will become a regular event.

There will be two classes :-

Class 1 – Professionals making a living from Woodwork
Class 2 – Individuals enjoying Woodwork as a Hobby (anyone from beginners to advanced)

As agreed by the poll conducted, entry will be free and a nominal prize will be awarded at judging to the winner and runner up in each class.

Individuals wishing to enter the competition must register in this thread by Sunday 10th February and the competition will run from then until the 30th April 2013 – judging will be taking place on Saturday 11th May (Judges to be confirmed)

Each individual participating must undertake the following:-
1.) Construct a box with a top size of approximately 300mm x 200mm and standing approximately 150mm tall.
2.) Materials and fittings can be chosen by the participant but the cost of materials/fittings will not influence the decision - Judging will be based on the construction.
3.) Inlay stringing/banding as well as marquetry motifs can be used.
4.) Material costs must be borne by the entrant
5.) It would be preferred to see a hinged lid for continuity of entries but lift off or sliding lids can also be used.
6.) Each box constructed must incorporate at least one type of dovetail joint, this could be in the main box carcase or internal tray or fitting as chosen by the participant.
7.) Boxes can be made from solid stock or veneered as chosen by the participant
8.) Boxes can have internal trays, sectioning or lined as decided upon by the participant
9.) Each participant MUST conduct a WIP on the forum during the construction of the competition piece to enable other forum users to learn from this event as well as assisting with the judging process.
10.) The boxes will be judged on construction, execution of joints, finish and overall appearance etc.
11.) Pictures of the finished boxes must be applied to the forum WIP thread by the participant on or before the 30th April 2013
12.) Judging will take place on 11th May and will be undertaken by viewing the photos/WIPs submitted. the finished boxes will not need to be posted unless the judges feel there is a specific need to see a box for some reason.
13.) The Judges decision will be final and reasons for their choice will be specified – no further dissection of the decision will be entered into after the final decision has been made.

I trust that this makes sense and if you would like to participate please leave a message below this thread accordingly, but should you have any queries please PM me accordingly - Dodge

I work with timber in the construction trade / housing , but do this sort of wood work as a hobby , have made one box for a gift previously but am happy to be put in a class by those who are in charge !!

Kind regards Sam

Class 2 Sam

Count me in as well
Class 1
Limited experience with this type of wood work as Its mainly site work and bespoke Kitchens I do but I am looking forward to this win lose or draw
:mrgreen:

Roger

I'm in. I'm a cabinet maker of 3 years experience mostly MDF work so far and some antique restoration.
I'll abide by the letter of the rules and enter category 1, but as I'm out of work currently it'll be a mainly hand tools job, but I'll do my best.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Hi, Dodge

I am in too, in two.

Pete

Class 2 for me please. Although I only do this as a hobby I do mainly make boxes so if it is deemed I need to be moved to class 1 then please feel free.

Andy

Mr Dodge.....Please can I submit my self for making a box. I hope I'll get to make one but would hate to regret not putting my name in, and not being aloud!

Never made one to date so should be fun!

Am I assuming that I would now need to be in class 1 :D as I am now a TRAINEE CABINET MAKER!!! (love it when I say that!!!)

what's a dovetail?

add me anyway (hammer)

Melinda_dd":1tn9rr73 said:
i take it top size means it can be smaller?

I suggest that this is the size of the top or thereabouts

Rog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back