Big 09 UKW Turning Competition : Pen Winners now announced !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big soft moose

Established Member
Reaction score
Here we are folks, the long awaited rules , timescale , etc thread. As the consensus dictates we are keeping these rules simple and easy - but if anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up by pm.

The rules

The competition is open to any UKW member including the moderators but not the judges or myself.

One entry only per member .

There are four categories
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Pens ( the pen turning contingent having asked for a seperate section). It is up to you to decide which category your submission fits in and note accordingly on your entry.

what you can enter

You can enter any turned item that you have made yourself. It can be something you have made previously, something you are currently making or something you make specially for the competition , this is entirely up to you.

Items can be decorated, carved, painted etc as you wish, and can be in any material fit for turning (wood, acrylic etc) the only limitation being that it must be a predominantly turned item.

Items entered should be all your own work ( though again this is being taken on trust)

Judging

For the main comp there will be a panel of four judges who will make the decision together. These are:

Richard Findley
George (Cornucopia)
Mark Sanger
Mark Hancock

the pen competition will be judged by Vincent Coates from the turners workshop

Judges will be looking at both the technical merit involved in a piece and also its form and aesthetics.

The judges decision will be final and we would ask everyone involved not to dispute it on the boards.

Prizes

There will be prizes for winners of each category, plus a "trophy" for whoever is judged to be the overall winner.

the prizes are as follows

Beginners : a days woodturning tuition with Richard Findley ( note that the winner will need to travel to Richard's workshop at their own expense)

Intermediate : £25 worth of chestnut products of your choice kindly donated by Terry Smart* , plus a turning tool **

Advanced : £25 worth of Chestnut products of your choice kindly donated by Terry Smart* , plus a turning tool **

Pens : £25 worth of products from "The Turners Workshop" for the best wooden pen , and another £25 worth of products from "The Turners Workshop" for the best pen made from alternate materials - both of these prizes kindly donated by Vincent Coates

* Note that due to the volatility of some of the solvents involved the Chestnut products cannot be easily shipped outside of the UK. Therefore if either of these prizes are won by an overseas competitor we will provide them with an alternative of similar value.

** The two turning tools involved in these prizes are being donated by two different donors , both of whom have asked to remain anonymous - they are being sent to me and I won't know exactly what they are until they arrive - I will update on this when they arrive.

The trophy will be a turned platter to which an engraved plate will be added and it will be held for a year then passed on to the next winner (assuming we run the competition each year as planned), Winners will also get a certificate to keep. I will handle the postage of the trophy within the Uk, however if it is won by an overseas competitor they will need to send me the price of postage before it can be despatched.

submission

Entries should be submitted on the submission thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 371#365371 We are looking for a maximum of three photos showing your piece from different angles and a description telling us anything you think we need to know about making the piece (wood type, technique etc) to a max of 200 words. You can assume that the judges are all competent turners so you dont need to describe basic turnery.

obviously the judges need clear photos to be able to judge the piece, but beyond that you will not be judged on the quality of the photo - this is afterall a woodwork forum not a photographic one.

The entries thread is for entry submission only - all comments about the compo should be made on this thread.

Timescale

you can start submitting your entries from now but the deadline will be 9am on the 17th of August 09 ( I will ask the mods to close the submission thread at that time). The judges decision will be anounced by or on August the 31st and prizes sent out shortly after that.

WIP threads
you can start WIP threads or not as you wish but these will not be considered by the judges only your submission counts at the end of the day. In the interests of fairness neither myself or the judges will comment on the WIP threads , tho of course you are free to seek advice and opinion from any of your other fellow forum members.

---

and that as they say is that - happy turning and I look forward to seeing your work shortly. Any problems, questions, concerns etc feel free to pm me.

People who have expressed interest in the compo so far are (? denotes a maybe)

Bodrighy
Miles_hot
RKchapman ?
Paul J
Dusty Dave
Pete Honeyman
JPT
WiZer
Stevebuk
Loz
JohnB
Neil Dyball
Bmac
Dave leishman
Seanybaby
The Shark
Rich Burrow
MalTrout512
Tep ?
Pete Basset
DuncanH
JonnyT
Scrums
Turn it In
Digazz
Jenx
Greggy
Bracky 1
Mrs Silver
Heraldis
jonzjob
boysie 39
thomasB
Dave L
Wincho 84
Shed head
roggatismus
martyn
tobydavidson
nik nak
Dave H
gitface
Boothie14
CHJ

44 interested so far, and 24 entries

anyone else who is interested feel free to just dive in and submit - this is open to anyone , from someone whose just picked up a gouge through to the proffesionals - I will keep a running list of those entering or interested here (I will put the names in red once entry has been submitted)

Another question :roll:
Do we need to say which cat we will be entering,beginner,etc,and will the judges change it if they feel we are in the wrong cat,as i'm not sure whether to go in beginner or intermediate :?

If your a beginner Paul, then I clearly have no hope! :oops:

Jonzjob - my mistake , but no need to feel neglected as i have added you.

Paul J - yes you need to say on your submission which category you are entering. We are leaving it up to the individual which category they think they fit in so its up to you - having seen some of your work i'd suggest that you are intermediate - but whichever you want.

the lines between the categories are always going to be a bit blurred so i hesitate to lay down guidelines - particularly as its about ability as well as length of time turning, so the best person to chose which category you belong in is yourself

that said we are trusting people to be honest about their abilities so if we got any obvious bandits (which i'm sure we won't) we would intervene and suggest they move to a higher category.

the only hard and fast category guidance i'm giving is that if you are making a pen you belong in the pen category :D :p

hehe sorry Paul, but I've seen your work and I can't replicate it ;)

BSM Can you enter in both pen and beginner (etc.) categories?

Nice set of prizes to encourage more members to enter :D
So a big thank you for those who are donating, to the judges for giving up their time,and to BSM for organising it all:D
So lets all enjoy :D

wizer":26cc1gug said:
hehe sorry Paul, but I've seen your work and I can't replicate it ;)

BSM Can you enter in both pen and beginner (etc.) categories?

sorry mate but no - to make it fair and allow as wide a spread of winners as possible, while also keeping things simple, the rule is one entry per member - its your choice as to whether you want to enter a pen or something else but you cant do both.

Likewise in answer to a querry just recieved by pm if you are entering pens you can't enter both a pen in wood and a pen in alternate materials - one or the other but not both.

Thanks Pete, was just wondering really and actually I was wondering if the pen category could have more than one item, which I guess you've just answered.

wizer":1thn8qlu said:
and actually I was wondering if the pen category could have more than one item....

in the pen category we will allow people to enter a pen set as one entry (e.g a pen and propelling pencil , or two matched pens of different sorts, in a presentation box) if they wish - as i realise that quite a lot of pen turners make these.

however an entry can only win one prize at category level so there is no point in entering a pen set with one made in wood and one in alternate materials hoping to pick up both prizes because that aint going to happen.

Likewise in the general turning we will allow a pair of candle sticks , a nest of bowls, matched salt and pepper grinders, sets of coasters etc to constitute one entry - but only one entry is allowed per member and we will not allow the entry of "sets" of random items to be entered to try and increase anyones chance of winning.
The decision as to what constitutes a set and what doesnt will be at my discretion so if you are in any doubt please contact me before submitting your entry.

Thanks Pete, that clarifies exactly what I was wondering.

B S M Pls put my name into the Comp. My entry will be a few Months from now as Richard Raffen is not here until June :lol: :lol: and I dont know if he has it made yet OH dear I should not have said that :oops: :oops: REgards Boysie. Beginner Beginner.

If its not too late, can i be included as well, please. Will be in the beginner section. :)

Paul.J":3uq81b2s said:
Another question :roll:
Once we submit our entry,can we change our mind for another piece :?:

up until the entry deadline (9am - UK time- on august 17th 2009) you can change your entry if you wish simply by editing your submission post (note editing it - not adding another one). once we reach the deadline the submissions thread will be locked and all entries will be considered to be final.

Wincho84 and Dave L - I have added you to the list.

Thanks BSM.
Can we also copy another members piece that we/i have seen,or similar to it,if we/i get their permission to do so :?:
Sorry for all the questions,last one i promise :roll:

Back