Big 09 UKW Turning Competition : Pen Winners now announced !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a very good standard of entry and some forum members may have been put off by that, but remember, in any competition there has to be losers.
The losers are every bit as important as the winner because without the losers there IS NO competition.
If all the sprinters up against Usain Bolt had withdrawn because they thought they had no chance, there would have been no race and no new world record.
Boundaries never get pushed without competition.

It would have been good to have some sort of posting system that allowed you to see your own entry but not every one else's until the deadline had passed. Probably not possible on this forum though

Can I just say that jpts entry in the advanced section (Spalted Beech Fruit Bowl 14 2/1" X4 1/2", last of the entries) is really quite beautiful.

I'd love to do something like that.

Pete[/url]

duncanh":2kptf2x6 said:
It would have been good to have some sort of posting system that allowed you to see your own entry but not every one else's until the deadline had passed. Probably not possible on this forum though

I dont think that would have been practical duncan - also a lot of the fun is in seeing what other people have made. We could've done it like the flat world compo where people commit to entry and say what they are going to make before then making it - but people at large didnt want to do that.

Duncanh wrote

I can see your reasoning Duncan.Perhaps some of the entrants did get put some off by some of the pieces,but it was one of your pieces that encouraged me to have a go at doing one similar,and i'm glad that i did.
So if it wasn't for this comp perhaps i might not even now had attempted it.
So i would look at it as giving me more encouragment to enter.

As a first I reckon it has gone pretty well. I also think that having the entries entered privately might be a good idea but seeing people enter so many good things has been a boost in itself. For me it's been quite a surprise at the high quality of things that people have been turning out. (pun unintentional) Some of the things in the beginners section are as good as in the expert class. Be interesting to see how the judges will place them all. Sooner them than me.

Pete

I hae to admit that I loved seeing everything as people made it. I just stuffed up by thinking that the submission deadline was the same as the flat worlsd one - sometime in October! :oops: Bummer, should have read the instructions after the flat world and maybe it would have stuck in my stupid brain.! :evil:

Thanks to all for posting before the date - it kept the whole thing alive and I can't say that any of the entrants would have put me off posting a submission as I would have been interested in seeing what the judges thought. Also there is the fact that what I think looks fantasitc could have been a turn off for the judges!

Miles

And the Winners in the UKW 2009 Turning Competition are :

Beginners : LOZ
[
S7002622.jpg

Loz wins a days turning lesson with Richard Findley

Intermediate : Jenx

Jenx wins £25 worth of chestnut finishes courtesy of Terry smart , and a Hamlet 1/2 ins Bowl gouge donated by an anonymous donor

Advanced : Duncanh

Duncan wins £25 worth of chestnut finishes courtesy of terry smart and a sorby spindle gouge donated by an anonymous donor.

Wildcard ( the one that a non turner likes best out of all entries, judged by my Swimbo, Sarah): CHJ
] __

Chas wins a Crown 3/8 Spindle Gouge donated by an anonymous donor.

Highly commended : BMac
BrendansLiddedBox.jpg

Brendan wins a large tin of Liberon finishing wax , donated by an anonymous donor

Pens : Ive not heard back from Vince yet but will edit this thread as soon as I do - there will be two winners in this category one for wood and one for alternative materials.

All winners will also recieve certificates and small trophies just as soon as I've had a chance to make them.

Could all winners please contact me by pm with their postal addresses so that I can send out the prizes that need posting and breif them on how to claim those that need claiming.

The standard of all entries was extremly high and the judges must have had a very hard time choosing, so if you didnt win this time please dont be dispirited, there is always next year.

It remains only to thank the Judges Richard Findley, George (cornucopia), Mark Sanger, Mark Hancock, and Vince from the Turners workshop, Our prize donors, and also thanks to Noel for very efficient mod service in stickying, opening and closing threads.

Ive enjoyed running our inaugural turning competition and will hopefully see you all (and more) back next year for the 2010 event.

Well done everyone, can't argue with the judges decisions All deserving winners
Definitely worth repeating. BSM up to it?

Pete

Bodrighy":6rzha9i8 said:

Pete
No problem - but not until next year :)

That said we might start earlier next year and have a longer deadline, if only so miles has time to enter ;) :D

Well done to everyone who entered and congratulations to the other winners. Thanks to the judges for giving their time.

I was wondering about maybe starting a monthly challenge along the lines of photo challenges which I've taken part in in the parts. Someone sets a challenge (eg. a box) and everyone (including the setter) has a month to post something that they make as a result of the challenge. The setter then chooses a winner (they can't choose themselves) and the winner sets the next challenge.

Thoughts?

Duncan

big soft moose":dard8owr said:
Bodrighy":dard8owr said:

Pete
No problem - but not until next year :)

That said we might start earlier next year and have a longer deadline, if only so miles has time to enter ;) :D

Harsh, but sadly very fair! :) :oops: To be fair I think the duration was about right, judging by the entries, it's just that I got confused with flat world!

Miles

well done everyone all deserved winners, hope they repeat this every year from now on, only i will be in the 'other' entries.

Some quality turning displayed above, congratulations to all entrants and winners.

If I only had the time to learn :) :wink:

Good comp. and some excellent entries :shock: .
Thank you Mr Moose and all concerned! you done good! =D> =D> =D>

Congrats to the worthy winners, we hope to see the results of what you do with the prizes. :lol:

"well done Loz - you are a bit of an upcoming star in the Woodturning World!

Congratulations!!

From your Mrs and all your lovely girlies!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:lol: "

Edit - Seems the missus has hacked my UKW account ! - Thanks Love !

Back