Commision from the wife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samfire

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on here much recently due to the fact that I've been concentrating on my watercolour paintings and now that I'm getting older it is too cold in in my workshop at this time of the year. I suppose I could put a fire on out there but it is cosier inside with my paint box.

Anyway, my wife received some Oracle cards for Xmas and asked me to make a box fro her. I had no choice but to brave the elements and, now that it is finished, I thought I'd share it with you.
oracle-box.jpg

Reminds me of the road in Ireland they use in Game Of Thrones etc beautiful combination of scrollsaw and pyro....as i said previously brilliant.
Cheers
Brian

A brilliant piece of work, and I dare say you have several brownie points for that one!
Thanks for sharing.
Regards Rodders

Thanks for your kind comments, but while the outside looks pretty decent the inside ain't so good. The wood I used for the lid is 6mm birch ply, which I had to use because I couldn't find any 6mm light hardwood that was over 100mm wide. The cards in the box are just a bit bigger so I had to use ply. Anyway, I had a bit of tear out on the branches underneath that were probably made worse because I was a bit lazy and didn't fit a new sharp blade before I started.

Here are some more photos as per request including the inside and tear outs. By the way, I carved the rabbit on the end of the pull with the Dremel my wife got me for Xmas and I was pleased with the result even though it is a bit rustic looking.

The first pic is of my original sketch. From that it was just a matter of cutting out the dark bits and then burning it with the pyrography iron. I give a bit more detail here http://www.shirewriting.blogspot.com

Attachments

• oracle.jpg
    oracle.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 786
  • oracle1.jpg
    oracle1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 786
  • oracle2.jpg
    oracle2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 786
  • oracle-hare.jpg
    oracle-hare.jpg