Combi's - How much do I need to spend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
For the last 30-odd years i have had a generic combination square. The 90 deg is good, the 45 deg isn't. I've long since given up trying to read the ruler. It doesn't owe me anything, but I've decided its life is over. So:

Stanley £8.96

Stanley £27.60

Ax £32.20

Starrett £87.45

Gulp! - Starrett £258 (Same page lower down).

I want it accurate for woodwork rather than precision engineering, but it must be easy to read now and still be readable in 30 years. I figure if it lasts as long as my current one I won't need another. Just how much difference does spending 30x as much money make?

Any experience welcome.

Cheers
Steve

Steve

Faced with the same problem I went for the AXI. I often wonder if Starrett would be more accurate but so far I have no complaints with the Axi

I've got one of the Empire squares from Axminster. They're not bad for the money and are very clear to read... You could raise some questions over the accuracy/repeatability... I've dropped mine on the concrete floor several times and it hasn't fallen to bits yet, unlike some of the cheaper ones I've owned in the past! :)

Another possible option - I bought a Mitutoyo from Tilgear a few years ago. I've been very pleased with it. Not sure if they still stock them, but it was around £60 at the time.

Cheers

Karl

Steve,

I have the Axminster, bought for me some years ago, nice rule, easy to read and the heads are cast iron, very pleased with it.

Steve

I have had the Stanley one for years and its rubbish. The locking mechanism just doesn't work well and the rule is badly finished. If it was a tool I used regularly I'd replace it with a better one, but mine doesn't get a great deal of use.

Generally for this type of basic tools I consider Stanley a good balance of cost and quality, but not so in this case.

Cheers, Ed

Thank you all.
I'd sort of decided between the Axi and the cheaper Starrett, but I'll investigate the Mitutoyo, Karl. I have one of their DTIs and it is very good. Even at £60 it's only about a ha'penny a day over its life of 30 years :)

TVM
Steve

I have the 150mm version of the starrett and can't fault it. Prior to getting it (as a gift I hasten to add) I'd ever been a fan of combi squares. I've never had much luck with them and end up only assuming they're roughly square. Since I've had it, I tend to reach for it first as it's always bang on and is nice and readable. Although I'd never have thought it was worth spending that much on a square, I'm considering spending even more on its big brother.

Steve - I don't have any of them but use a Rabonne and Chesterman square (not an unduly expensive one at the time, but quite heavy duty) which I've found to be pretty serviceable - Rob

Steve, do they give a spec for the more expensive ones, usually if there is a decent spec you can be reasonably sure it is ok. I don't just mean conforming to BS-----, at those prices I would expect at least angular and linear errors to be stated. However I usually expect to much.

EdSutton":13az38g2 said:
I have had the Stanley one for years and its rubbish.
I find that interesting. I know several guys with Stanley combi squares and as far as I know they're all different! I think mine is the heaviest of the bunch being 20 or so years old. It's accurate. A couple of the guys have more recent Stanley squares bought in the last year or so. The are two different designs, so I'm not sure that Stanley make only bad or only good

Steve Maskery":2f5n1j5f said:
Thank you all.
I'd sort of decided between the Axi and the cheaper Starrett, but I'll investigate the Mitutoyo, Karl. I have one of their DTIs and it is very good. Even at £60 it's only about a ha'penny a day over its life of 30 years :)

TVM
Steve

on that logic you should be buying the expensive starrett as its only 4p a day over 30 odd years ;)

and think of the gloat/pose value at meets :D

Steve Maskery":1qku3e0n said:
Thank you all.

TVM
Steve

I have the 300mm Starrett and find it to be very good. Prior to that I had only a very cheap combination square which could only suffer in any comparison to any half-decent alternative, but I can honestly say that the Starrett is a pleasure to use. ...of course, there is a limit to how much pleasure can be derived from using a rule with a lump of metal attached :), but the rule is robust and accurate and the head is easy to adjust and comfortable in use too. I am a huge fan of their double squares too (I went on a spending spree at one stage!), and find myself turning to these more often than not, but of course they don't have a 45degree angle on them.

As you are probably aware, the more expensive combi shown on the same page that you linked to above is the very same head, with a longer rule and the addition of a protractor and centre-finding heads. You can buy the heads separately, and I think you can buy the different length rules separately too, should you wish to deplete your wallet further in the future.

In terms of cost, you might find the prices on Dieter Schmid - Fine Tools better value. I have used them before and can vouch for their quick and reasonably priced deliveries, and their friendly responses too.

I had a couple of Starretts but they were really boring. I sold them.

Now all this is really interesting.
ATM I'm thinking a good compromise would be to buy the Axi set plus the little tiny Starrett. I've wanted a small one for ages but never got round to it, and I could get both without breaking the bank.

Could be a Slippery Slope though!
S
PS It would mean re-organizing my tool board, too :(

Steve the mitutoyo looks good I would hope there would be a spec with the stated accuracy.

FatFreddysCat":3cj0bxse said:
EdSutton":3cj0bxse said:
I have had the Stanley one for years and its rubbish.
I find that interesting. I know several guys with Stanley combi squares and as far as I know they're all different! I think mine is the heaviest of the bunch being 20 or so years old. It's accurate. A couple of the guys have more recent Stanley squares bought in the last year or so. The are two different designs, so I'm not sure that Stanley make only bad or only good

I'm sure there is good and bad in Stanley stuff and I'm also sure that the older ones are probably better. The one I'm referring to is the one Steve linked to in his OP.

Cheers, Ed

Back