Do I need a No03 hand plane ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a no3, but very rarely use it (but it's a Nooitgedagt, which amuses me, being dutch).
I really like the 60 1/2, and also the 102, indeed as others have said to knock off corners.
But if you do not have a no5 yet, get that first. I think a no6 is too unwieldy for general use (granted, mine is a very heavy one from stanley) but a 5 is great.

My No3 has a plastic handle, which causes anxiety and distress amongst the enthusiasts, but is a perfectly good top quality example of the product. So don't be put off by plastic!

In the states, the 4 and 5 are most common. some of that probably has to do with them being regular stock even in a small local hardware store.

i've met folks here or there who prefer a three, including someone who works professionally with hand tools exclusively.

The answer in this is a simple one - you might like a 4 or a 3 better, or you might like having both. Just buy a 3 and find out.

Back