Do I need a No03 hand plane ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given what we understand about 'Joiners' you probably used it to bang in nails.
No used to do that with my head.
When ar worra lad theh wuz ony one ammer int ole ut village!

I have a no3, but very rarely use it (but it's a Nooitgedagt, which amuses me, being dutch).
I really like the 60 1/2, and also the 102, indeed as others have said to knock off corners.
But if you do not have a no5 yet, get that first. I think a no6 is too unwieldy for general use (granted, mine is a very heavy one from stanley) but a 5 is great.

My No3 has a plastic handle, which causes anxiety and distress amongst the enthusiasts, but is a perfectly good top quality example of the product. So don't be put off by plastic!

In the states, the 4 and 5 are most common. some of that probably has to do with them being regular stock even in a small local hardware store.

i've met folks here or there who prefer a three, including someone who works professionally with hand tools exclusively.

The answer in this is a simple one - you might like a 4 or a 3 better, or you might like having both. Just buy a 3 and find out.

Back