Collector - Moi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I never realised I had a problem until I mentioned in another thread that I had 4 lawnmowers. Well it appears I had one more that I previously thought. Now where did that come from?

5mowers800.jpg

On a serious note if anyone has a 12" version of the Ransomes Certes (2nd from left), preferably with grass box, that they would like to get rid of I'd be able to help out - just don't tell the missus.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Nice mowers - pity about the grass (sorry) :)

What make is the little one? I have a Webb Witch that I no longer use (too much grass to cut so I use a petrol rotary) but I won't get rid of because it is so good. When I was at an antiques sale a few years ago I saw a minature version of it going second-hand that I would have bought for my kids to use, but they had grown up by then so I let it go.

Paul

Paul,
Yes the grass is not at it's best at the moment, hose pipe ban and a self imposed ban on chemicals while the kids are still eating it.

The little one is a Webb Minature. It is a toy and although fully functional does not really cut. The drive is a big fat rubber band that slips under the slightest resistance eg fingers. Oldest daughter enjoys following me around with it although I might need another two for the twins!

Andy

Just yesterday my old man was bemoaning the fact that his 'leccy cylinder just doesn't do as good a job as his Ransomes Ajax (sans grassbox :( )

I've probably told you this before, Andy, but if you're ever down this way you must go to Trerice and see their collection, if you haven't already. Even I was slightly impressed; the old man was mowing his way down Memory Lane in no time. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

dedee":87k3wc08 said:
I never realised I had a problem until I mentioned in another thread that I had 4 lawnmowers. Well it appears I had one more that I previously thought. Now where did that come from?

3 Ajaxes and a Certes; you're quite the Ransomes fan, aren't you!?

But I think your lawn needs a lot of work before you'll be using the Certes.

Mine does.

BugBear (18" Marquis, Ajax Mk4, Certes 14", all Ransomes)

BB,

I should have know your passion for collecting good quality tools would stretch beyond woodworking. :wink:

I have used the Certes on the lawn but 4 years of less then ideal treatment has taking its toll :cry: The Certes although heavy is just so smooth but on grass more than 1" high or on a lawn less than snooker table flat it is useless. It was not called the "bowling green" mower for nothing.

Andy

dedee":sqbiyrw1 said:
Alf":sqbiyrw1 said:
Ransomes Ajax (sans grassbox :( )

Make him one :!:

My father has done this with plywood at least once for a motor mower.
I'm not sure he actually wants one; it's my dreadful desire to see "complete" tools I think. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Dedee wrote:

Well it appears I had one more that I previously thought.

Two thoughts occur to me here. First and foremost; are lawn mowers in a shed like wire coathangers in your wardrobe?
Second and foremost, that would be four of 'em to get into the Landy and take down the dump :roll: :roll: :wink: Rob

Many years ago I cam across someone who worked for one if the better quality auction houses in London who admitted to owning more than 20 lawnmowers, but no, he wasn't a collector. So what did he do with them?...... he lived in a FLAT!!! :shock: At least you've got some grass :wink:

Scrit

woodbloke":10ydq03k said:
like wire coathangers in your wardrobe?

What is it with wire coathangers in the wardrobe :? Do they multiply every time you close the door :? I keep throwing them out but the next time I look there's more of 'em :? :? :?

Is it me :?

Paul

Paul Chapman":10clt48e said:
woodbloke":10clt48e said:
like wire coathangers in your wardrobe?

What is it with wire coathangers in the wardrobe :? Do they multiply every time you close the door :? I keep throwing them out but the next time I look there's more of 'em :? :? :?

Is it me :?

Paul

These are of course the larval form of the British Common Bicycle. By keeping such bicycles cool the reproductive capacity is modified and so the population of juvenile bicycles (wire coathangers) in the next reproductive season is reduced.

HTH

JW

Back