cleaning rust from machine tools ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalbasherJoe

Reaction score
Hi all - have just joined !
My workshop was flooded a while back, and having had a lot of health issues, has taken me a while to get back to sorting out.
Just for starters I found a box of fly-press tools/punches that were in a box with plenty of damp that had rusted quite a bit (see pic for just a few of these).
....apart from the usual hard graft of wire brush/emery scrub etc etc, are there any of these rust removal/converters fluids that are worth trying that anyone can recommend. I'm sure that when these do clea
IMG_8756.jpg
n up that there may be damage to some of the cutting edges but hoping still useable.
Many thanks

I used some restore rust remover (google search) successfully recently, an ultrasonic cleaner with whatever solution you choose in is almost essential, particularly for small parts.

Ultrasonic cleaner is expensive but worth every single penny, I couldn’t believe how much difference it made. Without it you have to rinse scrub the converted rust off so that the fluid can get to the next layer then put back in solution every 30 mins or so it takes forever like 24h for heavy rust. With the UC it does all that for you so just put in and turn on for 30 mins and it’s all done.

If you’ve got a lot of small parts then you will see the biggest difference.

I found one on Facebook marketplace when I was doing mine

I've had good results with distilled white vinegar, soak for a couple of days then rinse and clean up with a washing up sponge (the green rough bit).
It removes surface rust and seems better on higher quality steel.
I then apply some micro crystalline wax.

If you’re using citric acid it’s a good idea to neutralise the residual acid on the steel surface with a weak solution of baking soda (bicarbonate) to help prevent subsequent flash rusting.

I have also had very good results with Restore, which does not attack the base metal but does leave a dull grey finish.

Clive

Many many thanks for all your help - I found I have some citric acid but also found some 'Evapo-Rust Rust Converter' in the shed that I had bought some years ago and forgotten ever to try. I soaked the first batch of parts for about 15 hours, and then also your responses made me realise I could use an ultrasonic cleaner that I had tucked away to further the treatment - and bingo, I can't believe how everything is in fact better that I have ever had them in the past. Now doing every old tool I have around - never tried these processes before - thank you so much, see pictures below:
IMG_8763.jpg
IMG_8764.jpg
IMG_8765.jpg

Evaporust is good but it gets expensive. I've moved onto citric acid, it's just as good and a fraction of the price. So long as you wash your parts off and oil them there's no rust issues.

I will indeed try the citric acid as a more cost effective solution.
I have sprayed the cleaned parts in light oils and they are being stored now in a covered plastic container. Many thanks again.

I have some citric acid in powder form. Does anyone know what proportions of powder to water are needed to get the necessary strength?

I use white wine vineger from Lidils......€2,50 per 5lit.....
also
my solar water heater tube in the h/water tank was a bit slow....so pluged one hole and filled it up via the other.....
change the vin after 48 hrs n repeat...x2.....
now works like new.......
ps the tube along with the tank is Stainless Steel......

Surprised nobody has mention electrolysis, which is my now go to method. Chuck parts in, and you can leave them for as long as you like. It only removes the rust unlike acid treatments, so, you don’t need to worry about it eating stuff if yoi happen to leave them in too long! A bath, and a phone or computer charger and you are away.

Surprised nobody has mention electrolysis, which is my now go to method. Chuck parts in, and you can leave them for as long as you like. It only removes the rust unlike acid treatments, so, you don’t need to worry about it eating stuff if yoi happen to leave them in too long! A bath, and a phone or computer charger and you are away.
When I was reading up on this in the winter for the planer I was restoring, I ended up not using it as it looked really fiddly for small parts (with everything having to be in contact with the ?cathode?), whereas with the ultrasonic cleaner approach it was just a case of throw everything into a tub and press go.

I ended up putting some of the bits into jars inside the UC as some suggested to limit the soiling of the fluid.

@deema I thought you needed a battery charger or something of that size for electrolysis??

I’ve renovated a few machines
😂😂, and tried most systems. I prefer the electrolysis method the most. It’s unbelievable cheap, and it only removes the rust no matter how long you heave the stuff in the ‘soup’. It’s far gentler on parts and I have to say in my experience better results.

Back