Clamp recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tadge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for parallel clamps for making shaker doors so around 600mm capacity. Like the Bessey but wondering if any other cheaper alternatives are available and of suitable quality. Won't use every day but dont want rubbish so something good value for money. Cheers

Thanks. Are they 600 max or slightly over? For the price tempted for larger set just in case but longer length may be annoying for smaller jobs......

You can get them in various sizes but if your looking for just over 600mm the 800mm are the next size up.
I’ve not measured my set (600mm) but I would definitely look at a bigger size in case the 600mm come up at just that.
Yes they can be a bit clumsy but for your doors I reckon they would just fine.

You can get them in various sizes but if your looking for just over 600mm the 800mm are the next size up.
I’ve not measured my set (600mm) but I would definitely look at a bigger size in case the 600mm come up at just that.
Yes they can be a bit clumsy but for your doors I reckon they would just fine.
Cheers. Looked at the onhanded quick clamp for track. Look good also but no rubber foot on face so metal would probably mark wood. Shame

Be aware that a quad pack of Bessey 600's is around £186.00. I have no doubt the Rutland clamps are good, fit for purpose and do the job but they will be sourced and rebadged and ultimately they want to be Bessey clamps when they grow up.

From experience I'd stump up the £65 difference for the real thing. I've had and have a ton of clamps (it's the nature of what I do) and whilst I've bought other brands and will again, I've yet to regret buying Bessey clamps whereas it's been hit or miss with others. That said I appreciate paying 55% more is a huge shift between the two options and a big chunk of change in that context.

Unless things have changed dramatically since I last bought some, I can’t imagine why you would not buy Irwin Record sash cramps, 48 inch at £37.04 at Screwfix and you will be able to hand them down to your grandchildren if you look after them. The original and the best as far as I can see. Ian

I agree. There weren't too many options when I bought Record sash cramps years ago, and they've proved excellent. Very cheap in comparison to the Rutland ones and often for sale secondhand.
I later bought a couple of sets of their loose heads and made up lengths of hardwood to mount them on. You could even make the lengths of timber to exactly suit the making of your 600mm doors and use the money saved to buy yourself something shiny!

Have to agree with the two suggestions above that Irwin are a good source as well. Not sure I see the sash clamp being a direct comparison to a parallel clamp but I guess that depends on the thickness of the material being clamped. I have had really good experiences with their sash, quik-grip (HD) and their F-clamps. I'd be surprised if Screwfix have them though as they seem to have zero stock for most clamps right now, you might be lucky and have stock in your local stores and besides plenty of stockists. People selling them second hand generally want prices close to the RRP but then I suspect that's possibly a reflection of their value (partially).

Yes, I agree that the Irwin sash clamps are excellent but the OP specifically mentioned Parallel clamps.(Screwfix don’t have any at present ).
As for the extra money for the Bessey clamps, maybe, but I’m not so sure they are worth the extra £65 over the Rutland ones.

In form, function and quality of materials the Rutland clamps seem almost identical to the Bessey.
Sure, you have the Bessey name tag, but whether or not that makes it’s worth that extra money is open to question.
There is not much I’d buy from Rutlands but so far the clamps seem just as good in comparison with the Bessey parallel clamps that I have.
But a view on longevity can only be arrived at with over a period of time.

Hi all, I'm looking for parallel clamps for making shaker doors so around 600mm capacity. Like the Bessey but wondering if any other cheaper alternatives are available and of suitable quality. Won't use every day but dont want rubbish so something good value for money. Cheers
I have bought a few of these (loads of similar versions) a couple of years ago. I planed some hardwood so it fitted snugly inside the channel and it stiffens them immensely. They're now still light and very strong. If your joints are good, you shouldn't need more than these on a shaker style door. I also have Record steel sash clamps are very rarely use them. Heavy and usually overkill for my needs. But they do have nicer threads on the heads.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverli...amps-Cramps-24-Inch-600mm-VC62-/232045353669?

I am obviously missing something, what do you use a parallel cramp for please?
They just apply pressure across the parallel faces of the clamping surfaces and this is often larger and longer than other styles of clamps whilst maintaining that parallel aspect relative to the clamp and material. In reality you could probably achieve the same result with other clamps and adaptive / additional hardware but often it's the compactness, light weight and ability to lie flat on a surface or against it that gives parallel bar clamps the edge. If that makes any sense?
Yes, I agree that the Irwin sash clamps are excellent but the OP specifically mentioned Parallel clamps.(Screwfix don’t have any at present ).
As for the extra money for the Bessey clamps, maybe, but I’m not so sure they are worth the extra £65 over the Rutland ones.
In form, function and quality of materials the Rutland clamps seem almost identical to the Bessey.
Sure, you have the Bessey name tag, but whether or not that makes it’s worth that extra money is open to question.
There is not much I’d buy from Rutlands but so far the clamps seem just as good in comparison with the Bessey parallel clamps that I have.
But a view on longevity can only be arrived at with over a period of time.
Sash clamps would be ideal for doors which is why I think people suggested them but as above depends on the thickness of the material overall.
Rutlands' parallel clamps had a bad rep at one point as over time the main metal spine would wear and lose grip. It only came up on the forums as strangely none of the real reviews appeared on Rutlands' website (I'm sure that was a one off for Rutlands!!!). Not all clamps, even identical looking ones are built the same with the same standard of materials and to the same level of QC or indeed recourse if they fail. Rutlands will have almost certainly just outsourced a supplier for their current clamps with clearly a deal to put their name on it, that said this isn't necessarily a negative thing as they may have done their due diligence in that sourcing. My point I suppose is the product is a rebranded one and the original product has no provenance whatsoever; you're buying what Rutlands bought. They may be superb and stand up over time, they are clearly different clamps to the ones they sold previously. They may even turn out to usurp Bessey's position in that market. Bessey's are not perfect, they take some getting used to in operating the clamp in certain situations but the quality or their pedigree is never under question. I'm not knocking Rutlands, just being realistic in their offerings; they fit a niche and people obviously keep buying from them. Rutlands is effectively a reseller of clamps whereas Bessey is the actual OEM and they are world renowned for their clamps.
All I'm saying is that from experience I've never regretted buying Bessey and whilst expensive, the pain of that is often dissipated with long term ownership.

I am obviously missing something, what do you use a parallel cramp for please?

Parallel cramps are much quicker to use than traditional sash cramps. The main thing I like about them is I can clamp up for example a panel, lift it off the bench with the cramps still on and it will just stand up on edge on the cramp heads if that makes sense.

+1 for Bessey. I have never regretted buying them (just winced at the time) & now only buy Bessey. I bought a set of Rutland sash cramps some years ago, a complete waste of money - never again!

I have bought a few of these (loads of similar versions) a couple of years ago. I planed some hardwood so it fitted snugly inside the channel and it stiffens them immensely. They're now still light and very strong. If your joints are good, you shouldn't need more than these on a shaker style door. I also have Record steel sash clamps are very rarely use them. Heavy and usually overkill for my needs. But they do have nicer threads on the heads.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverli...amps-Cramps-24-Inch-600mm-VC62-/232045353669?
I have quite a few of these too, 800mm and 1200mm. I've used them for many years and cannot think of a situation where I would need my excellent but rather heavy 4ft Record sash cramps except for when I've used all fourteen aluminium cramps.

They just apply pressure across the parallel faces of the clamping surfaces and this is often larger and longer than other styles of clamps whilst maintaining that parallel aspect relative to the clamp and material. In reality you could probably achieve the same result with other clamps and adaptive / additional hardware but often it's the compactness, light weight and ability to lie flat on a surface or against it that gives parallel bar clamps the edge. If that makes any sense?

Sash clamps would be ideal for doors which is why I think people suggested them but as above depends on the thickness of the material overall.
Rutlands' parallel clamps had a bad rep at one point as over time the main metal spine would wear and lose grip. It only came up on the forums as strangely none of the real reviews appeared on Rutlands' website (I'm sure that was a one off for Rutlands!!!). Not all clamps, even identical looking ones are built the same with the same standard of materials and to the same level of QC or indeed recourse if they fail. Rutlands will have almost certainly just outsourced a supplier for their current clamps with clearly a deal to put their name on it, that said this isn't necessarily a negative thing as they may have done their due diligence in that sourcing. My point I suppose is the product is a rebranded one and the original product has no provenance whatsoever; you're buying what Rutlands bought. They may be superb and stand up over time, they are clearly different clamps to the ones they sold previously. They may even turn out to usurp Bessey's position in that market. Bessey's are not perfect, they take some getting used to in operating the clamp in certain situations but the quality or their pedigree is never under question. I'm not knocking Rutlands, just being realistic in their offerings; they fit a niche and people obviously keep buying from them. Rutlands is effectively a reseller of clamps whereas Bessey is the actual OEM and they are world renowned for their clamps.
All I'm saying is that from experience I've never regretted buying Bessey and whilst expensive, the pain of that is often dissipated with long term ownership.

I don’t disagree with this at all in fact I take your point entirely.
It’s true that Bessey manufacturer their own clamps and that Rutlands don’t.
But my handling of both Rutlands and Bessey parallel clamps don’t show much difference in quality in terms of “feel”and in actual use that’s all.
But, like I mentioned, time will tell in the longevity department.

In terms of provenance, it’s maybe obvious that the Rutlands clamps will be made in China like most these days, but that isn’t “always” a bad thing.

Im certainly not trying to push Rutlands as a seller of great quality tools, in fact I’ve had to send back, twice, a “guaranteed flat” and “straight “ rule that was anything but flat or straight .
Fortunately, I bought they clamps before I bought the rule, and if I hadn’t I wouldn’t have bought the clamps judged on the quality of the rule.
Nor would Rutlands be my first port of call for most things .

I bought a Hilka 4' steel sash clamp for £21.50 two months ago. Very strong and simple. A minor hassle is the pin falls out of the tail easily if the clamp is not under pressure. A hole and a cotter pin will soon fix this. Working on a budget, I am happy to put up with the above and the considerable weight.

Maybe Hilka do shorter similar clamps?

I have 1500cm parallel clamps from Rutlands and they seem good. I used them yesterday for a table top glue up. I haven't had them long so cannot comment on the longevity but so far so good. Speaking for myself, I am not using them on a daily basis, probably max once a week, even less than that really but if you were making all day every day, the extra money might be better for proven quality better spent, if for occasional use, the money saved may be worthwhile.

One other thing is Rutlands offer a "Lifetime Warranty" stating "If any clamp fails due to a material or manufacturing defect it will be replaced free of charge". Not sure if you could take advantage of that if you ever did have an issue with the clamps.

Attachments

• 20210317_170949.jpg
    20210317_170949.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back