Chipboard Flooring Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I'm a big fan of Toolstation's TorxFast screws for general use, but where I've used them to temporarily fix sheets of chipboard to joists (5x50's) I've noticed they're beginning to work loose.

I was intending to run a bead of Stixall along the joists when I get round to fitting the floors.

What screws do you recommend?

Cheers,
Mark

You sure it's not the joists drying out and shrinking ?

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

" but where I've used them to temporarily fix sheets of chipboard to joists (5x50's) I've noticed they're beginning to work loose."
They are beginning to work loose and they're temporary? I think our temporarys must be different. :D If it were permanent I'd use 70mm or even 80mm screws, no matter what make.

Coley - the youngest joists are 41 years old, so pretty dry!

Phil - temporarily screwed down in February. Don't want to lay permanent floors until electrician and plumber finish 2nd fix and FULLY test. If i cracked on with the floors before we're certain everything is good, Sod's Law states pipes will leak and electrician will have faults, and the only way to fix them would involve ripping up the new floors.

They should be fairly dry then :lol: I've never had a issue with them, perhaps longer ones might be better....?

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It could be the joists. Over the years of house bashing I've found older joists that suffered from various types of deterioration and wouldn't take a screw of a certain length.
In one place the woodworm was so bad the first inch of joist was basically dust, 4 inch screws to hold the boards back down.

One reason for squeaky floors is that when boards are laid, any dirt, plaster, rubbish etc. that has accumulated on top of joists is not cleared away and when it works itself out with people walking on them it creates a gap, the boards are then not in contact with the joist hence the squeak with the board moving down and up and the screws/nails need to be tightened.

Screws do not work loose.

Andy

75mm dry line screw's on site with a screw gun, but why should you have leak's and electrical faults ask the plumber to pressure test using water norm is 2-3 bar, and the sparky to test all cables as he/she goes,
slate.

Back