Chicken & Leek Pie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Established Member
Reaction score
Tonight's dinner was an experiment.

Chicken & Leek Pie

Picture001-1.jpg

Easy – made it up as I went along. Serves 4-6 hungry adults.

Pint White Sauce
5oz Cheddar Cheese grated
Cayenne Pepper
6 Leeks washed and sliced
3 Chicken Breasts cubed
Mashed Potatoes
1 Egg
Milk
Butter
Melted Butter

Base – make a pint of white sauce and stir in about 4oz cheese and a dash of Cayenne Pepper (Cayenne lifts a cheese sauce). Season with salt and pepper. Keep the sauce on a very low heat.

In a frying pan seal the chicken cubes and add to the sauce. Then fry the leeks until tender and add to sauce. You might want to add more salt and pepper to taste.

Mashed spuds – mash the spuds with an egg, a knob of butter, some milk to loosen and the rest of the cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. (Make your favourite mash).

In an oven dish - rub the dish with butter and pour in the white sauce/leek/chicken mix. Spread evenly. Then add the mash and spread over the sauce sealing the edges. Take a fork and make lines, then brush on melted butter.

Bake at Gas 5, 375F, 190C for about an hour until the crust is golden.

I made this at lunch time, left it on the bench, and baked it for an hour this evening and it was piping hot.

Picture002-1.jpg

This got full marks from the Operations Manageress and I am allowed to make it again with no changes.

Brendan

Looks good Brendan, one of my regulars that. We had fish pie tonight too ;) I made it the bechamel way (with wheat free flour). Just cod and haddock, missus doesn't like prawns.

Can I make a suggestion? How about we make a new thread called 'UK Workshop Cooks Club' or something, and post everything in there. Otherwise we'll start being mistaken for a cooking forum ;)

Good idea.

This is fun but also of great interest to me because, now that I am in charge of cooking, it is great to see easy, tasty recipes that work with ingredients most of us have in the cupboard.

Also, it becomes really frustrating trawling the internet for ideas because I get bogged down in 37 versions of one recipe I want to try.

Brendan

Back