Ceramic tiles on floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
The time has come ( eventually) to lay ceramic tiles on my bathroom floor. The thing is, there is a step about 3 inches high part way along. I want to set tiles vertically to cover the front of the step, but I don't know how best to finish the top edge. Being a bathroom there could be issues with bare feet and tile edges, so what would you people in the know recommend for the edge - leave it as tile, or put some sort of trim to cover it, and if so, what trim?

Any suggestions?

K

I dislike trim (although I do use it occasionally), for that sort of thing I'd leave the tile low on the edge and back on the top and grout the join in a fillet, it looks neater to my eye and won't discolour like edge bead does. it will eventually blow out but it's rather easy to repair.

There are loads of edge trims available in the tile shops or big sheds, just make sure you buy the correct size to suit the floor thickness. Plastic should be ok in a bathroom unless shoes are worn when it might scuff otherwise one of the aluminium polished trims look good.

Anything like this will work but note that you fit the vertical tiles first then the step on top.
https://www.northantstools.co.uk/produc ... gJCivD_BwE

I have used some external corner trims in polished aluminium but those were for wall tiles so don't know if available for floors.
Bob

Back