Another floor tile question!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aet1

Established Member
Reaction score
This summer I will be taking off the vinyl flooring in my kitchen, then the underneath cork tiles, leaving the tar or whatever that stuck the cork tiles down then I want to lay ceramic tiles.
The hallway had cork tiles which I removed - but then spent ages getting a flattish surface on the tar. I tried a hot air gun to soften it before scraping, I tried solvents and brute force with a paint scraper.
I would love any suggestions.
I have considered just pouring self levelling over it. The parallel discussion today about insulation under tiles makes me wonder if I should try a completely different tack. but I don't want to raise the finished floor height if I can help it.

I didn't think of that, I have something like that with a 3" blade - for chopping through tree roots, I could see if it works as it is or sharpen the blade a bit (I wear safety shoes!). Something I did learn last time was not to walk on vinyl flooring if you have any of the tar on your shoes - found that after using various solvents, (that's one reason I'm changing the kitchen flooring - I found there is no way to get the yellowish stains out of the vinyl whatever I tried.

Personally I’d just cover the bitumen with a self levelling compound suitable for laying over tar if the floor is not flat.
Alternatively if the floor is fairly flat just tile over the bitumen with a suitable adhesive if you don’t want to raise the floor level.

Back