Central heating pipes lagging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The life expectancy of copper and PEX is about the same From my research. The UFH array is all in PEX with a 100 year lifetime expectancy……just wish I would be around to check it out, but expect to have checked out long before that! PEX doesn’t corrode or suffer from electrolysis which creates pin holes. The only down side is I can’t detect it with simple tools, however as everywhere is to be covered by UFH I can’t drill into the floors anyway. So to me, it makes little difference, apart from PEX expands and contacts less than copper which for some of the long runs is a big advantage.

Mine were all insulated as I remember the plumber telling his apprentice to fit the insulation with the slit uppermost so if there were any leaks it wouldn't drip down onto the ceiling, not sure if that was a good or bad thing :dunno:
Not always a good thing, I recently went to a leak where the home owner had fetched the part of the downstairs ceiling down where he thought the leak was from as upstairs it had wooden flooring. It turned out the leak had traveled along the insulation & was infact emanating from a fitting accessible from the airing cupboard.
The cost of repairing the ceiling was greater than the cost of fixing the leak 😖

and is the heat loss from PEX the same as copper?
Ian
I believe heat loss from copper is greater than from plastic. One of the first jobs I used plastic pipework on was a large secondary circulating hot water system, plastic was stipulated by the company supplying the components to minimise heat loss where the pipework couldn’t be insulated.

I am with Mwalker56 on this one. Part L1 has been recently upgraded (took effect June 2022). This not only applies to heat loss and insulation but also that in new builds all stages that affect heatloss have to be photographed (time & location stamped). How this will work with large estates is anybody's guess!

I am with Mwalker56 on this one. Part L (L1) has been expanded (aren't they always) and on new builds (from June 2022) it is a requirement to not just meet all the regulations but now to photograph all stages that affect heat loss. See the info. sent to me, thankfully my new build already underway, though I will still carry this out in case I get a visit from a person with a clipboard.
My current house (1920) landing is a twin of Deema's (my pipes area subtle shade of grey) and I know exactly where there is any heat loss through the floor as the Dog finds it!

Attachments

• Energist-Photographic-Evidence-.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 0
I believe heat loss from copper is greater than from plastic. One of the first jobs I used plastic pipework on was a large secondary circulating hot water system, plastic was stipulated by the company supplying the components to minimise heat loss where the pipework couldn’t be insulated.
The heat loss is greater from copper, UFH pipes aren't 15mm and don't run at 60c from an air source pump so those comparisons are pointless. I can see a reason for insulating pipework if you wish to keep a cold room between the heat source and the heated room, but how common would that be?

The heat loss is greater from copper, UFH pipes aren't 15mm and don't run at 60c from an air source pump so those comparisons are pointless. I can see a reason for insulating pipework if you wish to keep a cold room between the heat source and the heated room, but how common would that be?
I would guess, that in a world of higher heating costs and wireless radiator valves, increasingly common.

A totally unheated room? Unlikely, I'd think.
Well we don't heat our barn of a living room in the daytime, as we tend to live in the kitchen, but we do have the heating come on in our bedroom, morning and evening, and the pipes run through the living room.
I've no interest in arguing about it, though. We may be the only household in the world to whom this applies, which would skew my viewpoint.

Hmmm, plumbers up to their usual tricks. Pipe work looks neat, but how are you going to fix the boards back down?
Looks neat except that there are a bunch of unconnected pipes.... My guess is that it's not finished yet. Maybe pipes have been measured, cut and laid in approximate position.

Looks neat except that there are a bunch of unconnected pipes.... My guess is that it's not finished yet. Maybe pipes have been measured, cut and laid in approximate position.
Most of the elbows only have one pipe connected so I guess that's where the unconnected pipes go. I have the same doubts about fixing the flooring back down. Maybe take up a couple more floorboards and put a large sheet of MDF flooring over the whole lot.

I have had to cope with this problem many times for customers. It's invariably on the top landing and after the plumbers/ central heating guys, are long gone.

Back