cc or ml?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Can any of you mad scientists explain this to me?

Every where I've checked, I'm told cc and ml are the same. How can that be? A Cubic Centimeter is 10mm x 10mm x 10mm which equals 1000 cubic milimeters.

When I dose something with drops I'm told thats 3 ml in a drop.

If I had a box 10 mm square, how many ml drops could I get into it? A dam sight more than one, I know.
Simple words please, my brain is already hurting after 20 minutes of this.

One cc does equal one ml, however one ml is equal to 10 to 60 drops according to what the fluid is (approximately).

Hmmmm.
it looks like I have misunderstood "drops" for a number of years. Thankfully, it hasnt caused any problems as I have just followed instructions on labels.

Thank you. I can now go mix up some super duper weedkiller without burning a hole in the ground through to australia.

The way I remember it - physically a litre is a 10x10x10 cm cube, so 1000 cubic centimetres to the litre.
A ml is a milli-litre. 1/1000 of a litre
So matching those two facts up, a mili-litre must be the same as a cubic centimetre.

And if the liquid is water, that 1 litre, 10cm on a side cube, weighs a kilogram

The image of the cube helps to stick it in my head :)

Sideways nailed it. Units are one of my favourite things, we have such fun each year when the new graduates join the company. I work in oil and gas and the unit system is horrible mix of S.I. / Uk imperial / US imperial and some custom ones.

F.

BBL and MMscf are 2 of my favorites for confusing graduates.
chuck in tubulars from 2 7/8" to 13 5/8" in 35.5m stands and see if their head explodes.
Once they get their head around that tell them to measure the pipedeck in smoots (this one is especially mean and has nothing to do with O&G). If they get that send them to the mud lab, if that doesn't get them, nothing will.

:)

yes, 1ml = 1cm3. The litre isn’t a proper SI unit, so in scientific circles the ml is frowned on compared to the cm3. That’s why chemists measure liquid volumes in decimetre3 (which is actually a litre).

For a while I was tracking my car fuel consumption in a log book using a conversion factor built into my Casio calculator. I was getting awful fuel consumption and I couldn’t understand why my miles per gallon was so bad. Turns out the calculator used a litres to US gallon factor, not “proper” (uk) gallon. US gallon is 3.785 dm3 and proper gallons are 4.546 dm3. That improved my fuel consumption by about 20%.

And how about "Square Decimetres" then?????

It does exist I assure you, it's how the FAI (Federation Aeronautique Internationale - yup, it's originally a frog organisation from way back in about 1905 or so) defines the wing area measurement of "sports" aircraft, model and full scale. I STILL don't understand it - sq ins, sq ft, or sq metres even, if you must, yes OK; but Square Decimetres, I ask you!

And wing loading for models is defined in grams per square Decimetre!!!!

AES":2fwc9aus said:
And how about "Square Decimetres" then?????

It does exist I assure you, it's how the FAI (Federation Aeronautique Internationale - yup, it's originally a frog organisation from way back in about 1905 or so) defines the wing area measurement of "sports" aircraft, model and full scale. I STILL don't understand it - sq ins, sq ft, or sq metres even, if you must, yes OK; but Square Decimetres, I ask you!

And wing loading for models is defined in grams per square Decimetre!!!!

Quite straightforwards. It even tells you how to work it out in its name unlike many units (mostly imperial)

Maybe for you Brandlin!

But a Q: Is it a tenth of a metre (squared) or ten metres (squared)? Since the measure COULD be (and is) applied to a small model (say easily less than 1 metre wingspan) AND to a full-size aeroplane (let's say a Red Bull-type racer for example - guess at least 5+ metres wingspan) it seems a pretty silly way of measuring wing area to me - as said, sq inches, sq feet, sq metres (or yards even) but Decimetres? Nah, not logical to me anyway, sorry.

It's a unit of area equivalent to a square with side length one decimetre.

deci means one tenth of
deca means ten of

So a decametre is ten metres.

Sideways":38jvq6fy said:
And if the liquid is water, that 1 litre, 10cm on a side cube, weighs a kilogram

Only at 4 degrees Celsius, when its density is at a maximum. At any other temperature it weighs slightly less.

AES":s2kfczmo said:
Maybe for you Brandlin!

But a Q: Is it a tenth of a metre (squared) or ten metres (squared)? Since the measure COULD be (and is) applied to a small model (say easily less than 1 metre wingspan) AND to a full-size aeroplane (let's say a Red Bull-type racer for example - guess at least 5+ metres wingspan) it seems a pretty silly way of measuring wing area to me - as said, sq inches, sq feet, sq metres (or yards even) but Decimetres? Nah, not logical to me anyway, sorry.

Ten metres would be decametre not decimetre.

An example of why it is best to stick to SI units, m^2 in this case!

As a pre-decimal school child, I am quite happy in perches, rods and furlongs...and even happier in firkins!
My first choccy bars were paid for in ha'pennies and I remember the odd farthing in change.

I hasten to add, as an S.I. trained Biologist, I am also adept in µm, degrees Kelvin and terabytes.

Sam

Had to go and look up the Smoot. Now that’s what life is about, what a great story.

F.

Back