Carpenters Pencil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrit":2u9pax2p said:
engineer one":2u9pax2p said:
eventually, you will find a couple or more living together. 8)
In that case how do they reproduce? And if possible can you tell me how you sex them so that they will make up mating pairs?

Scrit

You could try typing 'sex' and 'pencil' into Google :)

senior":1ldg74ep said:
Carpenters use these pencils, so that when marking up they have a 3mm wide line, this then ensures that the mastic man has plenty of work. I prefer normal sharp pencils.

And I always thought that it was so that no matter how much the saw drifted you could always claim to have followed the line.

Benchwayze":2i0kjrms said:
Hope you remembered not to boil 'em our kid...
John
:lol:

Some near misses as I recall when the a bucket of cold from the pump had not been added.

Only the washing or withies for basket making were boiled in the copper,

Ohh, and I remember a batch of salmon that got stranded after the Severn floods and the occasional boil up of spuds for the piglets that resulted in a lot of aggro for my dad because of the cleaning required before the next wash session.

andrewm":28xjm6qw said:
You could try typing 'sex' and 'pencil' into Google :)
I just did. I think we'd better not go there........ :oops:

chip mentioned the offer at tesco on staedtler pencils. it is actually a decent deal, 10 pencils hb, plus one of their mars erasers and a pencil sharpener all for under 1.50 in my local tesco. and ready sharpened too :lol:

there were a couple of other interesting things too which i did not buy,
a staedtler drawing set with compasses and protractor etc plus pencils for about a fiver i think, also they have lots of deals on back to school stuff like cheap decent calculators etc, so worth a look for marking out tools, and stuff you can afford to lose.

finally and maybe more interesting, they have a discontinued laser device for 20 quid, supposed to be a laser level as well as a pipe and wire measurer etc. not right for me now, but maybe worth a look if you are in the market for something similar.

and finally when young in lincolnshire, my aunties house had an upstairs bath, but we nippers sat in the kitchen sink for our ablutions, cheaper to heat i think :roll: and of course that way we saved water too.

so all this green energy saving is not that new, the only difference is that then you couldn't afford to waste it now it is so cheap comparatively that we do.

paul :wink:

I have a Triton flat Octagon shaped Carpenter's pencil. It's got red lead and black lead. I hope the black end doesn't mean it's going gangrous! :D
John

Tsk tsk, this is all very upsetting and highly irregular, all this loose talk about "pencils", what's the wood world coming to?.

What's a pencil?, that'll be what the office wallahs use to do the first run at the annual accounts. That's what "pencils" are.

Goodness gracious me, real carpenters wouldn't be caught dead with such a device.

Real carpenters always use blackleads, appropriately tongue-licked for emphasis (and to feed the secret graphite craving too of course), and use them for marking, and for making check sketches on bare plaster, and for checking short straight-edges (don't get me started on "straight-edges"), and for stirring tea ("Co-op tea" of course, you know, the ones with lots of branches), and last but by no means least for distracting customers (did I hear someone say "surely he means clients"? I sincerely hope not, that's a word that belongs to another profession that's been around since the Ark and before), that's customers who start asking awkward questions.

There now, I feel much better........

So I hope that's now clear

Engineer one,

That deal at Tesco's is so good they have sold out in most stores.
The eraser is handy too for cleaning your diamond sharpening stones.

yes local asda has 5 staedtler pencils and an eraser for 1.15 so you are right it was a good deal.

certainly yesterday in brent park they had decent stocks.

lugo35":wqpxkywu said:
funny that they are always in the last place you look

This phenomenon was the subject of related investigation (related to the disappearing socks/pencils, that is) for many years. It taxed many of the greatest brains, and millions were spent on research. As with many great discoveries, the answer came by accident when someone was researching the potential existence of a fifth dimension. ](*,)

The answer was blindingly simple :idea: : Things are always in the last place you look because..................

you don't look anywhere else once you've found what you're looking for. :roll:

As for pencils, I generally shove mine in my trouser pocket, which has given rise to another puzzler: if I take a blunt pencil and insert it in my pocket point down, when I retrieve it it will still be blunt. (So??) But here's the interesting bit: if I insert said blunt pencil into my pocket with the pointy end up, next time I put my hand in my pocket to retrieve it the pencil will have attained a needle sharp point and impale itself in my hand. How does that work? :-s

cumbrian":vis70upv said:
I put my hand in my pocket to retrieve it the pencil will have attained a needle sharp point and impale itself in my hand. How does that work? :-s
I don't know, but I'd consider patenting those trousers. It sounds much better than hunting down a pen knife to sharen pencils all the while

Scrit

pen knife :shock: I always use the edge sander, many years ago one of my bosses actually taught me how to sharpen a pencil, still makes me laugh today thinking about a 15minute lesson on pencil sharpening. If I get time I'll do a video on the merits of different shaped pencil points. :lol: :lol:

did you have to have "L" plates on the pencil????

years ago, mates had to learn to drive a lift.

no passengers until the "L" plates were taken off :roll: :lol:

and of course now you need one for a fork lift 8)

senior":3uzl8rj3 said:
I always use the edge sander
I suppose the graphite rubbing off can't be seen on all that wenge :roll:

senior":3uzl8rj3 said:
If I get time I'll do a video on the merits of different shaped pencil points. :lol: :lol:
Should be a best seller. Might be best to leave it to the experts, though. Ask Steve if he can market it for you

Scrit

senior":3q6b6d02 said:
How many copies should I set a side for you Scrit :lol:
None. You don't need pencils with a CNC router....... :wink:

Back