Carpenters Pencil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrit":33m66583 said:
engineer one":33m66583 said:
eventually, you will find a couple or more living together. 8)
In that case how do they reproduce? And if possible can you tell me how you sex them so that they will make up mating pairs?

Scrit
So the big question that needs answering is .....are carpenters pencils the same as wire coat-hangers and do they exhibit the same mating characteristics? - Rob

Does anyone else suffer from imaginary pencil syndrome this can take two forms,
1/ the absolute certainty that a pencil is behind your ear, you can even feel it touching your ear but when you reach up to get it, poooof, its gone.
2/ vise versa, you know you had a pencil, it would normally be behind your ear but you can't feel it there, spend 5 mins looking for it, then scratch your head and realise it was behind your ear all the time.

not sure this thread applies to northerners, can you put a pencil behind your ear with a flat cap on.... :lol: besides you'll probably have a capston full strength there all ready.

senior":vus0crc8 said:
not sure this thread applies to northerners, can you put a pencil behind your ear with a flat cap on.... :lol: besides you'll probably have a capston full strength there all ready.
It's trying to put a pencil on whilst wearing a flat cap and my glasses that makes for trouble - one wrong move and it's whiplash off the old SpecSavers. I think I'll have ter train a ferret to carry a pencil for me. Much easier

Scrit

yea but don't whippets run in a straight line???
might save a lot of problems with BIG layouts :twisted:

as for the great metal hanger conspiracy, how come they grow in the home, but your dry cleaner never has any spare????
paul :wink:

chas, since we are pushing something upstairs, how can we peak, that would mean we are off on the other side of a REALLY BIG
slope, we just don't know what it is :roll:

paul :wink:

not sure this thread applies to northerners, can you put a pencil behind your ear with a flat cap on....
Don't be silly that's what the flat cap is for, to slide your pencil in the gap over the peak, obviously something to do with northerners inherently slippery ears not capable of retaining a pencil.

Alan

I suspect northerners ears arn't slippery at all, what with all that coal dust behind them and only a tin bath to wash in bi-monthly. :lol:

senior":3nlvtv80 said:
I suspect northerners ears arn't slippery at all, what with all that coal dust behind them and only a tin bath to wash in bi-monthly. :lol:
Aye, we know what luxury is up 'ere, alright. Mither, just tell the kids they 've to wait while grandad and grandma have their baths - I'll just pop a shillin' in the meter fer another kettleful of watter to hot it up a bit after we adults have all had our baths. Good job we've ony got seven kids, it'd cost another kettle ful if we'd any more!

We wus obviously posher in our ouse, daint have no lecky but loads of hot water from the copper, and kid(s) went first.

Carpenters pencils have big soft leads so that they can make a visible mark on rough sawn timber - using the wide side if necessary. Also don't roll off.
Joiners on the other hand use ordinary pencils from HB to 2H for marking up on planed timber.
You can buy hard grades of carpenter pattern pencils but I don't see any point in them :lol:

cheers
Jacob

Only time I have ever used carpenters pencils is on very rough wood for 1st fixing. I prefer a good normal sharp pencil and after 20 years as a carpenter I have only just narrowed my choice down to the yellow and black Staedtler Hb Noris ones. Oh and they are on special in Tesco at the moment :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger Sinden":1e2rbg6d said:
So it stays behind your ear?

I lodge my pencil under the arm of my specs! But when I finish work, sit down and take off my specs, a carpenters' pencil magically appears in my lap!

Another reason they are elliptical by the by, is so artists will buy them for sketching. Fantastic range of textures and strength of line! . Great innit?

John

Scrit":3osviu11 said:
senior":3osviu11 said:
Aye, we know what luxury is up 'ere, alright. Mither, just tell the kids they 've to wait while grandad and grandma have their baths - I'll just pop a shillin' in the meter fer another kettleful of watter to hot it up a bit after we adults have all had our baths. Good job we've ony got seven kids, it'd cost another kettle ful if we'd any more!

Hi Scrit.
Nice one...
However, according to Catherine Cookson, the average family oop North didn't even have a shilling to begin with. I daresay she was right.

I still have a tin bath in case of fire!

:D John

CHJ":1sqf2ds0 said:
We wus obviously posher in our ouse, daint have no lecky but loads of hot water from the copper, and kid(s) went first.

Hope you remembered not to boil 'em our kid...
John

Back