Carpenters Pencil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
can anyone tell me why a carpenters pencil is shaped the way it is, a friend asked and I told him I'd find out for him. I don't bother using one myself, I just steal normal ones from work and sharpen them every five minutes

So it stays behind your ear?

It defeats the space-time continuum breach that normal shaped pencils have?

This continuum breach allows normal pencils to disappear and reappear at random. Tape measures also exhibit this annoying characteristic. The special carpenter pencil shape prevents this from happening.

It's to stop them rolling off benches which causes the tips and leads to break. They also need to be larger than ordinary pencils if you are to use a wide lead for marking components legibly.

Scrit

surely the explanation is the same as left over socks :twisted: :lol:

you know, you wash a bunch of socks and even though you put in pairs, a single one gets left somewhere :roll:

pencils are octagonal to stop them rolling off the bench, but somehow in a woodwork situation as roger says, they disappear. eventually, you will find a couple or more living together. 8)

paul :wink:

Roger Sinden":202to81w said:
This continuum breach allows normal pencils to disappear and reappear at random. Tape measures also exhibit this annoying characteristic. The special carpenter pencil shape prevents this from happening.

I think they go to the same place as the screwdriver bits. It happened to me with a pair of hedge trimmers once as well :shock: :?:

im with roger :D
funny that they are always in the last place you look :lol:
carpenters pencils :? your beter off using a large felt tip marker their more accurate.

best to use 2H grade they last for ages, and keep a fine point.

engineer one":1mg8qdwp said:
eventually, you will find a couple or more living together. 8)
In that case how do they reproduce? And if possible can you tell me how you sex them so that they will make up mating pairs?

Scrit

Carpenters use these pencils, so that when marking up they have a 3mm wide line, this then ensures that the mastic man has plenty of work. I prefer normal sharp pencils.

i always thought you had to have a soft one and a hard one :oops: :oops:

otherwise, it's rather like sexing chickens, you need a BIG magnifying glass
:roll:

but then i buy mine in bulk when lidl have a deal, and they come from china, and you remember about the birth rate there :lol:

When I was a student, I once put a pencil up my bum and we ended up with a stencil :wink:

grumpy , surely it is joiners who use the wide pencil, so their polish labourers have some silicon work to do :lol: :twisted:

carpenters only use wide lines for wood that will expand and contract that much :roll:

err hmm, grumpy, moi :lol:

in our workshop, I buy pencils by the hundred, but the amazing thing is that there are never any short pencils....
Hear about the constipated mathamatician,...... he worked it out with a pencil........

Back