Can you Identify these Tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Davis

Reaction score
A friend has asked if I can identify these two tools but I can't

Any ideas?

The Hook Tool is 4" (100mm) long

The other Tool is 5-3/4" (145mm) Long

Click this link to see the picture and to see any suggestions to date.

http://www.poolewood.co.uk

Is the hook not a stevedor's billy, used to help handle cargo nets. (and nowt to do with lathes, unless importing them the old fashioned way :) ).

I doubt it very much, bit small for that,

One suggestion I've had so for is

"believe that the handle with the hook looks like a Boot puller used in pairs to pull on tight fitting leather riding boots when we wore such things- Just a thought"

Terry Davis":23wnphgo said:
There are two tools, the picture of the hook tool is from three angles.
doh.......

I have a vague feeling I've seen a hook tool like that used for twisting split hazel into a sort of rope.
Best bet for this sort of identification is the "Tools and Trades Historical Society", if they still exist.

The hook is a billy hook as suggested. We had them on the ships for handling large bales of material and palletted cargos whne on a winch or davit. The hammer is like a chipping hammer that we used to use for chipping paint off stanchions and rails though ours had longer handles.

Pete

The bottom item in the picture (the one with the handle) is definitely a hand finishing tool from the shoe industry - although its exact purpose is beyond me.

My father in law had boxes of them when he died and they are still sitting in his garage. He was the great-grandson of Edward Green who allegedly made the finest shoes in England.

Back