Building a Garden Office Advice Required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark normally the ladders would be built out of 100x50mm nominal CLS (Canadian lumber supplies) a nominal dimension for what the batons are dressed from, the finished size is about 76x 38mm, CLS is that planed all round (PAR) with round edges you see at the timber merchants, and is generally the timber of choice for kit manufacturers, probably because they get a good deal from the importers, also being both PAR and rounded corners means fewer skelfs (Scottish slang) in kit joiners fingers, less absenteeism (homer) anyway this might still allow you to construct you ladders, they cantilever over the gable frames and are fixed (scew nailed) to the gable top runners and spiked to the rafters (affixed/nailed with 90mm nails) have a look at this and see if you understand
gable roof ladder.jpg
I think communication lines are getting crossed at times, could we figure out how to resolve this?...bosshogg

Attachments

• gable roof ladder.jpg
    gable roof ladder.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 861
The handle boss comes about because I was the boss for such a long time. Site Manager, Project Manager, leading hand joiner, whatever it stuck. Hogg is my surname put the two together...bosshogg...famous/infamous character/caricature from the "Dukes of Hazard" now there was a program...you can call me whatever you like, as you can see from the above the guys on site did...my first name is actually Allan...cheers

Thanks for the additional input.

I have taken a look at Building controls Ceiling tables and ceiling joists at 5m clear span and 600 centres would require some big timber. 50 x 220 seems to ring a bell. I cant help feeling that this is the wrong way to go as 8 ceiling joists at this size would be a lot of wood. When reading the tables it seems as clear as mud and so I am not aware if fitting vertical timber struts (not sure of technical words) between the rafter and the ceiling joists would allow me to reduce that section size some what?

My other option as Graham put it was to intoduce two rather large pulins with birds mouths cut in to them and fit them on either side at the half span point of the rafters. This I would have problems with the connection to the gables. I do feel I have to look at this if option a is seven 220 x 50 x 5000 ceiling joists.

I would be grateful if we could explore these options to see which one is more viable, less work and less cost.

Thaks again for all the additional help.

Mark

Hi Mark,

re smaller ties see previous post, last sentence of this para:

There are tables showing ceiling joist spans in the old archived version of the Building Regs Part A which can be downloaded free at: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upload ... A_1992.pdf See tables A3 & 4. Remember that all these tables are for buildings that fall under the control of building regs and the sizes will be calculated to restrict deflection to 1/360th of the span. If you are happy to accept more deflection you may be able to reduce the timber sections.

Graham

chipchaser":2734mwr7 said:
Hi Mark,

re smaller ties see previous post, last sentence of this para:

There are tables showing ceiling joist spans in the old archived version of the Building Regs Part A which can be downloaded free at: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upload ... A_1992.pdf See tables A3 & 4. Remember that all these tables are for buildings that fall under the control of building regs and the sizes will be calculated to restrict deflection to 1/360th of the span. If you are happy to accept more deflection you may be able to reduce the timber sections.

Graham

Thanks Graham

I did take a look, the ceiling joists they were recommending were, I think, 50 x 220 x 5000 I really am lost at the moment. Luckily the weather has turned so even if I wanted to I could not progress. I am interested in your Purlin idea. I will be honest your initial idea of a purlined roof seemed great but I could not get my head around making the gables for them to sit on. The problem is I have a view in my head and not a lot on paper. When it came to it I could not think how I was going to transfer all the weight of the purlins to the main structure evenly. I could not picture how to create a smaller gable to sit the purlins on. Then I had a thought!!! I remember you saying this way it would avoid me having to cut all these birdsmouths and I thought I was taking your advise to make life easy. I am after all very interested in woodworking and could do to learn through doing so I decided to go for all the rafters, which i have to say I enjoyed!!

You mentioned if I put two Purlins, one on either side of the roof I could do without the ceiling joists?? I am interested in that option. I would like to compare all my options and as you say "do it right".

Please could you expand on these concepts.

Mark

Hi Mark,

It was windy today in Northants, I struggled to open my car door just as R4 was warning of 50mph winds. If it was like that in Devon, not a day for clambering over your roof with an 8’ x 4’ sheet of plywood.

Ceiling joists: If you accept more deflection, make your ceiling as light as possible and of material that won’t show cracks you can minimise the section of the timber tie. A T&G matchboard ceiling looks good in a “cabin” is comparatively light and any movement is accommodated by the numerous joints between the planks. On the other hand, due to all the joints it does not provide the racking resistance that a sheet ceiling would. So maybe plywood panels with cover strips at the joints would be better if acceptable to you aesthetically.

Bosshogg suggested a smaller tie than shown in the tables. Timber is quite good in tension as long as the area available for fixing is adequate. What I mean is that sometimes the local stresses around the nails or bolts at each end dictate the size of the member. In your building 220 x 50 is more than you need.

I think I posted the book extract comparing roof structures after you had decided to go with rafters. Had you seen that earlier and chosen an all purlin roof, as the BR Part A table for purlins supporting sheeting, you could have made a stressed skin panel for each roof slope, ply sheathed both sides, strong, light and simple.

I think you must now decide what you want and stick to one track. It will be simpler for you to follow bosshogg’s directions to complete your roof and you will have the benefit of his experience to guide and reassure you.

If you really have to have an open roof free of ties and hangers etc it will cost you in time plus the additional materials. In outline, one way to do this would be as follows:

I note what you say about providing support for the purlin ends at the gables. With this in mind I suggest that if you really want to pursue this idea you adopt two purlins per slope located so they are as near as possible equally spaced whilst falling above a section of solid wall, that is, not above a door or window opening.

Place the purlins vertically and use short studs within the gable panels to prop and contain the purlin ends. It’s like forming a box around the end of the purlin so it is held in place and can’t wind (twist). If you cut away the ply face the purlins can pass through and project to form the principal supports for your verge ladders. To set out the purlin positions you would first mark the line of the underside of your rafters on the gable ends. Then set the outer top corner of each purlin so that it does not cut into the rafter beyond 1/3rd of the rafter’s depth whilst providing not less than 50mm horizontal bearing for the birdsmouth.

Below the new purlin locations you would need to ensure enough support to spread the loads into the wall frame and down into the floor perimeter beams and thus to the foundations. That’s not as hard as I have made it sound, just add studs below the load so there is a vertical load path to the floor perimeter beam.

I would replace your ridge board with a proper purlin. However, because you have already cut your rafters to lie against the existing ridge board I would lift the ridge purlin and plant (glue and screw) timber ledgers to provide a bearing for birdsmouths at the top of the rafters. Now you can re-use your existing rafters by cutting them to fit.

Don’t forget that as your purlins are long (relatively in structural terms) they need to be restrained to prevent winding (twisting). You could put solid blocking between the purlins after you have fixed your ceiling. I assume that you will part fill the rafter depth with insulation and pin a ply, or whatever, ceiling to the underside of the rafters between the purlins.

Re your comment that you had little down on paper: I find it really does help to sketch out what you want to do. The process of drawing makes you think about how parts come together and generally shows up potential problems. Quick freehand sketches are all you need to work out the basics. CAD, Sketchup etc are good for the later stages when you need to put dimensions on parts but you can be trapped in the process of drawing which kills spontaneity. A quick sketch has little penalty of time attached so you can screw it up and do another without feeling bad.

I hope this answers your question and give you more to think about.

I am sorry to say that I cannot spend any more time on this as I have work to progress and need to devote all my time to it whilst the weather is ok.

Graham

Thanks for all your Help and support in this project Graham.

Your feedback has always been concise and very invaluable. I hope your project goes well and wish you all the best for the future.

I'll post photos of the completed project.

Kind Regards

Mark

Okay and now to compare my options.

Bosshogg - You kindly mentioned that I use the same cross section of timber I used for the rafters for the ceiling joists (Collars). I am a little confused with how I attach the Truss clips and Bat straps. Sadly the pictures did not show on your post but I did a google search and I think I found some.
restraint_standard1.jpg

Is this what you mean for connecting the roof structure to the studs? If so do I need one on each rafter/collar combination on eiter side?

81966_P

Is this what you mean for the truss clips? You say to fit them on the inside of the building? I assume you mean connecting the collar to the roof plate? Apologies for the question Is that not what the bat straps do?? Or Have I attached the wrong type of bat strap to the post??

My Rafters are currently Skew Screwed at the wall frame. I pilot drilled holes from the centre of the seat cut and exited from each side.

Apologies for all the questions you are dealing with a complete novice.

Mark

Mark

Can you post some more picture from the inside of your wall construction? One of each wall would be fine.

I would also suggest you stop for a moment and have a serious think about the type of roof construction you want and the primary constraints\considerations (i.e. headroom, cost, ease of build, etc.). Once you start building - changes direction costs both time & money.

HIH

Dibs

Hi Mark...for a complete novice you've certainly progressed to a remarkable and competent state so far. From the pics you've posted what you have is, as far as I can tell, is a rectangular structure which spans from the two side elevations 5m wall to wall.

What I advise you do now is work with what you have, any radical changes at this juncture will likely be costly and hamper your time frame for completion. To that end I will sketch a stick built (not pre manufactured) truss layout which embraces all you've accomplished so far...hope you can come along for the ride, as it will be fast and precise!

ATTACH]

The rafters are your originals, birds-mouthed over the wall plates, the collars are raised (your decision, but be mindful of standard plasterboard sizes i.e. what you can get off the shelf) for all things plasterboard you can generally get most of your answers from here http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/S... but hopefully it will be worth it...bosshogg

Attachments

• Suggested roof layout.jpg
    Suggested roof layout.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 999
Mark

Cheers for the pictures. Walls - I would have used (and did use) a 4"x3" wall plate to sit the rafters on. The walls where there is a door and windows, I would have doubled up the header above those, especially for the door, where in one of your pictures, there is the "post" coming straight down onto the door header. That would transfer the load straight down to the doorway header.

As for the Kingpost's - Bosshog, I'd be inclined to disagree, if as your post reads to me that all the trusses are to be KP ones. There's been plenty of shed's built with simple trusses, either using bolted connections or ply plates over the connections. King post trusses is overkill.

Mark - I'd pause it and get some professional advice. Needn't pay for it, but a roof isn't like a stud wall, which might sag, etc. but a roof (poorly designed) could come crashing down a lot easier and probably collapse the building. 5mx5m isn't like 6'x6' shed storing the lawnmower and stuff.

It's a shame Mike Garmham isn't about on this forum - having said that you may want to post up on www.thewoodhaven.co.uk where he is active.

Dibs

p.s. I'd have a look thru the other threads of folk who've done an all timber built & there are a few who made their own simple trusses.

Boss.

Great information thanks a lot!!

Are you suggesting that I remove the ridge board and build trusses as per the diagram? I feel happy with keeping the collars on the tops of the wall and I am sure they will be strongest here. Are you suggesting that I need to make king posts and the diagonal bracing as per the diagram?

It looks great, but it also looks like their is something inherently wrong with my roof as it is. The pitch or angle of dangle is 20 degrees so it is a low pitched roof and this is not ensure it complies with permitted development rules. Under 4M, Dual Pitched, La di da di da.....

Sorry but I am not sure what direction I am taking? I was thinking of leaving the rafters as they are and placing two struts?? one halfway up each rafter and connecting them to the collars to make a similar shape as in a loft truss. I was not thinking of taking out the ridge beam and replacing it with a King beam.

Do you think my way is possible or am i only dreaming.

With regards to wind direction Graham , on an earlier post put up a drawing of the site layout with regards to North south east and west. As we are about 3 miles as the crow flies off the south coast I assumed the prevaling wind is a South westerley. All elevations have heavey woodland around except the westerly elevation which has a gorgeous view over the blackdown hills. This elevation is inherently weak as it is the large 1200 opening for the double upvc french door and two small 620 x 820 windows. Looking at the front elevation and notbeing astructural engineer ||I would say the wind would blow up the hill on the westerley face and wont to lift the building off its piers. To address this I was going to frame out the underside of the structure to keep wind from blowing under the floor and wanting to lift the structure which is I may add bolted to each corner pier with M6 Bolts. This is another story but I just feel you should know my feelings on this. Ok back to the roof.....

I'll await your confirmation on what you feel is the best and most cost effective way to proceed with my roof.

Thanks again

Mark

Thanks Dibs - Not sure if I'm any further forward.

Cant see the wood for the trees.....

I am aware I need to get this baby watertight as the wet weather keeps showing its ugly head and even though I have used OSB 3 it is only water resistant.

Thaks for the input though.

Mark

Mark...update to your latest post...keep the ridge boards I wasn't thinking when I posted the sketch, this was an indicative sketch I adapted to show a basic layout that would address all of the issues you had raised from previous posts. Forgive me if I have presumed to much, but so many variations appear to have come and gone it is not apparent the definitive state of play that's current, please don't take that as any form of criticism, just clarity...now that you state your happy with the ceiling at wall head height omit the raised collars (in sketch) from your mind and go back to my earlier post detailing how both to cut the collars to the predetermined shell width (measure on site the width between gable panels both sides - if you've done your job right, as I'm sure you have, both gable elevations will be the same) cut collars to suit the rafters ensuring that they are all identical i.e cut one as a template, choose one of the outermost pair of rafters to measure/fit it, when fitting the others push/pull your shell walls to achieve a snug fit for each one (you will probably require assistance for this) cut and fix the struts, my best advice, as you see above. The idea behind this elaborate advice is that this should allow you to plumb and straighten your structure with minimum confusion and re-measures...you can omit the king posts at your discretion, however I would advise you to double up the struts, something like this
truss.jpg
the idea of any truss design is to best distribute the load that the completed roof structure will apply to the shell and to minimise movement in such a light structure. That being said the timber you have chosen for your roof is sufficiently heavy allowing you to take liberties at your discretion. Truss clips and hold down straps should be as per my last post (you may have to source singles and fit one either side of the truss and gusset assembly at the wallhead although if you find any with the right space to suit your assembly, all to the good) your 20 degree slope will work fine with this strut configuration and as far as I can see the current rafter layout is fine...unless anyone else can see fault?...sorry I didn't take time to review Graham's earlier post re the setting and location of your structure, now that you have pointed it out, the ridge board will provide one brace and if you could add say 3 more (nail them to the struts, wherever convenient bearing in mind you want to achieve go wind load distribution)...re the tying down of the shell to the foundation piers, this can be achieved with straight hold down straps fixed to the outside of the Tyvek following a stud line down to the piers...hopefully this answers all your queries...bosshogg

Attachments

• truss.jpg
    truss.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 968
Bosshogg

On the original post you mentioned that I layed the collars to the side of the rafters but in your illustration they are mitred in front. 4

Sorry for the confusion.

Mark

Mark...no need to apologise, I'm getting a little confused my self...as long as you feel you can plumb & straighten one external wall (not gable wall of course) I'd chose to cut the angles and squeeze in the collars under the voids between the 20 degree angle and the wall plates, with the first side fully nailed up snug, the opposite wall can be free to push/pull to fit the collars at that side in, and assuming you can cut all collars exactly the same this will self straighten the opposite wall, I hope you can understand all this. Once all is fitted and nailed (nails punched in flush) you can glue and screw the gussets, as per the last diagram. I took this truss design from one of my old contracts and it work very well, tried and trusted, you could say. Once the clips, straps and wind bracing is affixed you should have a good structure. When the walls are strapped to the piers your shell should be solid and ready for the roof covering( I assume you have worked to metric dims therefore you should get metric 11mm boards 2400x1200x11mm they are available)...bosshogg

Boss

You say nail them and then fit them inline with the rafters and then fit the gussets. Before I fit the gussets where should i nail the two sections?

My only concern is that on trusses they are not usually Birdmouthed. Will this not cause a problem making the connection between the rafters and the collars?

Am I orderering 50 x 125 x 5000 untreated c24 timber or 50 x 150x 5000 untreated??

Finally Can I install the diagnal struts vertically at the halfway point between the rafters on either side? This will mean I can use the loft space for storage!!

I feel my mind is moving somewhere now...thanks.

Mark

Markymark":28jfes2t said:
Boss.

With regards to wind direction Graham , on an earlier post put up a drawing of the site layout with regards to North south east and west. As we are about 3 miles as the crow flies off the south coast I assumed the prevaling wind is a South westerley. All elevations have heavey woodland around except the westerly elevation which has a gorgeous view over the blackdown hills. This elevation is inherently weak as it is the large 1200 opening for the double upvc french door and two small 620 x 820 windows. Looking at the front elevation and notbeing astructural engineer ||I would say the wind would blow up the hill on the westerley face and wont to lift the building off its piers.

Mark

Mark

Wind doesn't just load a building in the traditional sense - i.e. blow against it. It also creates a suction affect which can and does affect a building to a lesser or greater degree.

In your above post - assuming the trees shield the building, the movement of air above your building horizontally will create a suction affect on your roof and needs to be taken into account.

The openings in a wall weaken the ability of a structure to resist wind loads.

I will re-iterate what I have said before - you need to stop and pause for thought. Rectify the framing issues in your walls and then work on and finalise a design for your roof. Not only taking into wind loading (and suction), but taking into account what you can fabricate and what you can't. It may be better to buy pre-made trusses at this stage. These needn't be prohibitive in terms of cost. I had trusses costed for a 4m wide and 6m long garage quoted at £600 and it was marginally more than I could have had the timber supplied for. If you are unable to take wind\snow loading into account - have someone else do it.

Regards

Dibs

Dibs

Thanks for your advice. As a trained pilot I am totally aware of wind loading on structures. I am not sure what framing issues you are talking about? I can only assume you mean the header above the door as per your last post.
If I could ask you to be more specific I can adopt your feedback. Making accurate trusses is childs play with the help of other more experienced forum users and as this project is for self gratification I could not farm out any part of it. This project is about learning through doing not taking the easy route of buying in.

Please dont take this the wrong way but I only work with a positive mental atitude and if I wanted to save money and time I would have bought a Kit cabin.

This thread has been runing for quite some time now and so far it has been very creative and has presented me with answers to possible problems that may arise.

I welcome your positive and constructive criticism and hope you can share your years of experience.

Kind Regards

Mark

Back