Builder starting small extension, will I regret it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had three days to kill so I thought I'd read through your post and guess what???? i took 4 days.. :lol:
It made me laugh in places as I've only been doing building work for three years and at first I was worried about how good my work would be compaired to others. After seeing what other builders had left behind at some peoples houses I realised I had nothing to worry about, I don't have many customers but they keep me busy - i'm already fully booked for 2010...

I'd hate to have to get anyone in, it's such a lottery - actually you've more chance of winning the lottery.

It's a good job you had your eye on the ball through out the project though otherwise who knows what you'd have ended up with?

More progress!!

I fitted the tap to the sink and used 2 foam seals around the sink to seal it down, didnt use the plumbers mait as I thought it would get too messy trying to clean up the overspill.
I may once its in use, if it seems like dirt is getting under the lips of the sink use some clear silicone around it to sort it.
Used the 16 clips I had to clamp down the sink, had a couple of the clips fail on me. where the screw didnt follow the path its meant too and it pops the clip in half then, 14 will hold it ok though I can see why others silicone them down instead, saves the neck ache laying in units trying to do the little sods up.

Marked the wall and core drilled a 50mm hole through for the waste, that ended up harder than it should have as the core kept picking up the insulation and wrapping it around itself causing the clutch to activate on the drill. I was trying to core it out from the inside only in one pass. In retrospect maybe it would have been easier to go from both sides and not have to deal with the insulation.

Refitted the dishwasher and altered the pipework to include it and piped in the tap supply too.
Test run the tap to get rid of the air and check for leaks, not got a waste to the drain yet as I need to move a rainwater down pipe first to get access to the drain cover. Thats a weekday job.

Just need to fix this one worktop down to the units in a few places now and cut a back cover panel to hide some of the pipework and its done, oh and fit the plinth.

A few pics for you.

2d8jj9u.jpg

2jeo7th.jpg

105bck3.jpg

Might see if I can pluck up the courage to colourfill and clamp these 2 together Sunday, im told the 20mins workable time is actually around 10 so better get my skates on

img2941.jpg

When tightening up the bolts on the worktop joint, it helps if you can arrange your backside at the same level as the cupboard bottom. This takes a hell of a lot of discomfort away from the small of the back. There will be dust trying to get into your eyes, wear goggles.

Keep up the good work.

xy

And only snug them up else it will bulge the worktop. Don't ask me... etc etc. :oops:
BTW the jointing compound I used, from toolstation, started to go off after only a few minutes, so don't hang around once it's spread on.

Well its looking a lot closer now.

Joining the worktops....

Such a silly place to have a joint! an 800 unit trying to make out its a corner unit with a drawer rail just where the joint bolts go.

2rnbiqc.jpg

So I made up a couple of hardboard and timber "helpers" to keep one end of the toggles in the right place all the time leaving me just the nut end to deal with.

j8mdg2.jpg

I had been warned of many things to be careful of including one yesterday that the supplied amount of colourfill may not be enough for 1 joint, so with this in mind I elected to use Ext PVA on the bottom 3/4 of the joint and colourfill the rest.

With a ratchet spanner on each it was easy to pull them together and watch the colourfill squidge out the top. I used a cut up credit card to scrape off the excess.
Try as I might I couldnt get an invisible joint, I didnt want to overtighten the toggles, looks like no gap but the joint line shows lighter grey than the surrounding worktop. Maybe tomorrow I will try a wipe over with more colourfil or maybe not :wink:

rarqcm.jpg

The camera flash really does highlight the joint line, in reality its not nearly as visible as this.

I must remember to slacken off the joint bolts a little tomorrow.

I fitted the gas hob and moved the tall oven unit back into its place, lots of fettling to do now, but at least it almost looks finished.

I need to join 2 lengths of plinth as near as possible to invisible to keep the wife happy....

Plinth just laid in place for the moment.

wi3iuu.jpg

nice work, I'm yet to do my first mitred worktop but looks like you've done a great job on yours :) Your on the home run now!

Shultzy":2vrdzfsk said:
Did you have to scribe the plinth before you fitted it? If so, how?

:oops: Its not fitted, just propped up under to see how it looked.

I was lucky I suppose as its a real nice fit without touching it, a couple of mil clearance which will mostly go when I fit a plinth sealing strip under it.

I think you can just measure the gap and deduct 5mm from the depth in most cases if the floor is reasonably level as nobody is going to get down that low to see if you butted it up to the underside of the cabinets. Makes it a bit easier to remove if need be too for cleaning spillages etc.

If the floor is all out of level try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyORTpC3xuw

Alan Jones":ib1dglw5 said:
What colour was the colourfill? Id be inclined to use one near to black for that worktop

CF145 Black granite, I think its probably the right one, that photo doesnt really do it justice with flash highlighting the join, in light of day today it doesnt look too bad. I have a mate with one the same colour, I will take a look at his joint and compare :)

right ive just read all 13 pages! - looks like it has been quite a saga, however the finished result looks cracking!

Very small update, double oven is in and working. Wife is pleased though the week I have waited (and still waiting) for the plumber to come and connect the gas pipe to the hob is spoiling the fun some.

Dishwasher has been test run :wink: that works.

The old kitchen sink unit has come out and I spent time today re plumbing all the water in the old kitchen so the washing machine can have a new home and the old worktop can have further use on a side wall for now.
The plinth lengths I have are all bowed, thought the floor was out but its not, they seem to have changed shape where the white protector strip is fitted to the bottom. Looks like I will have to run them all through the table saw before fitting and use plinth sealing strips on them.
I have a 4mm sheet of black granite laminate to trim to 900 x 780mm and I gave it a test with the router today. Seems to leave a nice edge, so I will trim within 2mm of correct with a jigsaw then finish with the router.

Have yet to choose tiles for the splashback, so must get around to that this weekend.
My friend came round and viewed the worktop joint, says its fine, in fact better than his turned out. So I'm happy to leave it as is.

13 pages and near finished!

Thanks for all the advice along the way. Hope you all enjoyed the read :)

Its been highly entertaining :D and very pleasing to see the end result, you've made an excellent job if that doesn't get you in the wifes good books nothing will :wink:

Great stuff - you started 2 years and 8 months after me, and beat me to it!

I can see me still "fettling" this new kitchen for some weeks yet, the plaster has now started cracking on 2 walls where the ceiling meets the wall, I think this is pretty usual stuff with houses with central heating but it does mean I will later be fitting coving around the walls to cover it up and get a nice line rather than the rough corners the plasterers left me.

The "old" kitchen needs gutting out, new ceiling, walls plastered :roll: floor tiled, old boiler chimney stack removing and I'm half tempted to remove the wall between it and the lounge as it already had a large serving hatch and a door in it so cant see its supporting much above...

The large back porch looks like it too is going to get plastered and should then house the washing machine and tumble drier.

The bathroom is still waiting for me to start work, need to gut that, fit a temp basin and bath over one side so I can then fit a big shower unit in the space made, once thats in and working I can remove the old bath and fit a LOO at last along with hand basin.
I was looking at the fitted furniture units with vanity bowl and loo built in as I can then fit a matching tall cupboard alongside the units for towel storage etc.

Then there is our bedroom which I bought all the fitted wardrobes for some 3yrs ago which are still mostly in boxes.... will I ever get to finish off my workshop? I'm not sure!

Right its finishing touches time and I need some suggestions please.

I cut down a 4mm sheet of laminate for a splashback, but cant make up my mind if it looks good or not, the alternative is 0.9mm stainless steel with folded edges on a 7mm MDF backing board.
I intended to fit a 20mm stainless rod I have across the top back of the splashback with butchers hooks on for cooking utensils to hang on.

2hxmufp.jpg

1z4x5bn.jpg

We have been warned against stainless as its such hard work to keep looking nice behind a hob, seems they show every little mark.

We went around the sheds today looking for tiles, I have room for 2 rows of 4" and a finishing strip below the sockets, I thought maybe glossy red tiles but everything seems to be beige, time to try a real tile shop I guess.

Back