British Woodworking magazine offer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Senior wrote:
but usually I am knowledgable on 95% of their content
Stuff by Robert Ingham as published in F&C might stretch you a bit :D I've had to sit and read some of his stuff at least half a dozen times to work out what he's done :oops: .....how he makes what he makes is beyond me. My old boss Dick Taylor was a student of RI and he was universally just called 'God', with no disrespect intended. Although as you say, you may think you know 95% of the content, it's that last 5% that's going to give you a bite in the rear end. Having collected all copies over the last 10 years or so, they now form a very useful technical library that I can dip into, trouble is I have to try and remember where stuff is in them :( - Rob

Hey Nick,

Good luck with the new mag. If you put as much effort in as you did when I worked with you at Good Woodworking, it'll be worth every penny!

All the best mate,
Andy

JFC":15ab6wye said:
I'm not one for mags either , i prefer the dvd's :wink: BUT if Mr G had offered to review something for me i don't think i would have passed up the offer . There are so many questions on here about how do i make a window , how do i make a door etc wouldn't taking a bit of advice from someone that does it for a living be smart ? Or maybe you just want to sell mags and don't give two hoots what people want ?
In the good old days the mags told people how to make and repair things , does yours do that ? If not why not ? Do you really think people are not interested in how they can repair their own homes or make them better ?
Good luck with the mag , i for one wont be buying it as i think you are up your own bottom !

Steady on JFC, you'll be getting pm's soon telling you to stop it....... 5,4,3,2,1, phoooooof as if by magic.

Nick

I've looked at all the posts and at your website and with the exception of your introductory price don't see anything on subscription prices, domestic and foreign. Would you tell me/us what those rates will be and how often it will be published (monthly, bimonthly, or quarterly)? The introductory offer is out for me as I don't have PayPal and would have to wait for at least 2 or 3 months before it will show up on a magazine rack here, assuming your going to offer it outside Brittan.

Best of luck with your venture.

Well I'm very glad Nick has some support here. Nick is passionate about WW mags and I know that quality is his topmost priority. He's done more for ww journalism i the UK than anyone else on this forum and arguably in the country, certainly in modern times. He's not in it just to make a quick quid (there are much, much easier ways of doing that). At least if you can't support him, there is no need to knock what he's doing even before it has appeared!

Very best of luck, Nick, with your new venture, I hope it succeeds. If anyone can do it, you can. More power to your elbow.

Cheers
Steve

motownmartin":2uar710i said:
It's all tongue in cheek Nick, well, most of it :roll:

Martin

I never quite understood this saying.
After all with tongue in cheek the best most of us can manage is a mumble!

So now I'll keep my tongue behind my cleched teeth and say 'Gottle of Geer.' 8) :eek:ccasion5:
John

senior":2p0ht6zv said:
JFC":2p0ht6zv said:
I'm not one for mags either , i prefer the dvd's :wink: BUT if Mr G had offered to review something for me i don't think i would have passed up the offer . There are so many questions on here about how do i make a window , how do i make a door etc wouldn't taking a bit of advice from someone that does it for a living be smart ? Or maybe you just want to sell mags and don't give two hoots what people want ?
In the good old days the mags told people how to make and repair things , does yours do that ? If not why not ? Do you really think people are not interested in how they can repair their own homes or make them better ?
Good luck with the mag , i for one wont be buying it as i think you are up your own bottom !

Steady on JFC, you'll be getting pm's soon telling you to stop it....... 5,4,3,2,1, phoooooof as if by magic.

I agree. Steady on.
Leave the criticism until you know whether or not the problems you appear to have are addressed in the magazine. As for DVD's and videos, I've seen some of those that make me shudder at the incompetence of the people who are supposed to be experts! And you have no chance to criticise, because there's no one to write to, and the people who sold you the thing might or might not give you your money back, depending on their view of 'fitness for purpose.' ... Then where are you? Hopefully still counting to ten on all your digits!

So leave the criticism until you have at least seen a copy, eh?

John :)

Benchwayze":27g6nf7s said:
motownmartin":27g6nf7s said:

Martin

So now I'll keep my tongue behind my cleched teeth and say 'Gottle of Geer.' 8) :eek:ccasion5:
John
I'm not surprised if you're from the west midlands, skip :lol:

Martin

Inspector":w4u3589y said:
Would you tell me/us what those rates will be and how often it will be published (monthly, bimonthly, or quarterly)? The introductory offer is out for me as I don't have PayPal and would have to wait for at least 2 or 3 months before it will show up on a magazine rack here, assuming your going to offer it outside Brittan.

Really sorry about this, Inspector. The magazine is bi-monthly. If I can cover my costs and if advertisers receive enough response from woodworkers (please respond to adverts!), there is a chance of survival and of going monthly at some stage.

I am launching this magazine from my own savings, so there's little time/resources to organise some things, and overseas subscriptions is one of those bits that has been overlooked. I will try to sort this as soon as possible. It has not happened through lack of interest in woodworkers elsewhere. I hope British Woodworking will want to communicate with woodworkers worldwide (but then I might be up my own bottom if JFC is right!!!).

On a separate point, anyone who thinks I don't listen to what woodworkers want must be barking. The only problem is that everyone wants something slightly different!!!

Nick

Mr_Grimsdale":p20fjouy said:
Seriously though - if someone produced a magazine which entirely avoided gadgets, jigs and few other things I could suggest, they might be on to something interesting.

cheers
Jacob

Someone did, a few years ago now. It was aimed primarily at experienced workers who wanted to get together, share projects and design. I think it was called simply 'Furnituremaking'.

The projects were mostly advanced, and it was a damn good read. Sadly it folded after about five issues. Presumably there were not enough woodworkers in the UK who wanted to read about their hobby, or their daily work, in such depth. I am sure some of them used gadgets and jigs though. I believe David Charlesworth uses honing guides. Good enough for him, good enough for me. Also, I imagine a luthier would use templates on a regular basis, as well as various pre-marked scales for locating fret positions. Probably also a bendy, metal clamp for laminating guitar bouts?

I've been working with wood since I was eleven years old and I still learn things from magazines. (and forums) So without folk like Nick Gibbs I would be stuck with yellowing copies of magazines I have kept over the years. I for one will give his new magazine a try.

John :)

woodbloke":2chdfcqm said:
Senior wrote:
but usually I am knowledgable on 95% of their content
Stuff by Robert Ingham as published in F&C might stretch you a bit :D I've had to sit and read some of his stuff at least half a dozen times to work out what he's done :oops: .....how he makes what he makes is beyond me. My old boss Dick Taylor was a student of RI and he was universally just called 'God', with no disrespect intended. Although as you say, you may think you know 95% of the content, it's that last 5% that's going to give you a bite in the rear end. Having collected all copies over the last 10 years or so, they now form a very useful technical library that I can dip into, trouble is I have to try and remember where stuff is in them :( - Rob

ROTFLMBO! :lol:

Regarding the 5%.... Well said Rob..... As for finding what you want in old mags, there is a PC program available, to help you index such collections... Any help?
John

(Ingham is good, but more practical for me was dear old Jim Kingshott. )

John

motownmartin":2pera4l6 said:
Benchwayze":2pera4l6 said:
motownmartin":2pera4l6 said:

Martin

John
I'm not surprised if you're from the west midlands, skip :lol:

Martin

:D Oh Martin that was norty... and coming from someone who would likely pronounce Hinkley, as 'Enkleh!!! I had some Leicester lads in one of my classes... Oh boy! Lol! :lol:

Not all West Midlanders talk like Jasper Carrot. (Or like he used to before he lived in Solihull. Then again not all of us are half as witty.)

And how did you know I used to be a Skipper?

Cheers... All in fun

John

Personally I think knowledge is negligable anyway, I think it all comes down to natural abilities. You've either got it or you haven't. Theres plenty of people who are knowledgable and can talk about it, but not many who can really do it. Most pieces of hand made furniture I see close up are amateurish with poor craftsmanship and lack design insight.
I'll live with my missing 5%, and sleep like a baby knowing I have a successful cabinet making business working for top clients and a full order book.

senior":3qwar9um said:
I'll live with my missing 5%, and sleep like a baby knowing I have a successful cabinet making business working for top clients and a full order book.
So come on then. Why are you so grumpy?? :lol:
Philly :D

Nick,

Hope this is constructive:

Post on your website the "why you are gonna be different" explanation you finally put on this thread. If you are as good as your word, you could be onto a winner here.

Like many others, I have no Paypay & can't be bothered with hassle, I'll buy the first issue of the mag if I happen to see it in the newsagents.

Your website has too many none running elements (as pointed out by Tony) at least place a "sorry under development" note on them.

If I subscribe I will want to do it on line using my credit card, if this feature doesn't exist you might loose me as a potential customer. Be aware of USA competition, with Dollar rate their subs are very good value and Mags are better than UK ones

Good luck with the mag, we need something better than the current UK ones.

senior":37exkb89 said:
Personally I think knowledge is negligable anyway, I think it all comes down to natural abilities. You've either got it or you haven't.
Codswallop! Your natural ability is probably there because you went to college and were taught the basics, the theory of doing your job, just like the rest of us. Since starting work you have likely been the recipient of much acquired knowledge from more experienced people as well as learning from your mistakes. So your ability is built on the knowledge of others. Your talent is all your own, but no doubt even that was nurtured by others. And being talented is still no excuse for arrogance or rudeness

Ted

MOD NOTE

OK, stop the insults, name calling and bickering.

If this thread returns on topic with constructive discussion of the new magazine, it won't be locked.

Good Luck with the new venture Nick.

Cheers Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back