British Woodworking magazine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yetloh":1mu8r5so said:
BW has more than its share minor editorial cock-ups as it is.

Jim
it's share of - easily done isn't it :p

I agree with much of your post, where I differ is that I find F&C lazy; I find that much of their content is recycled press releases and advertorials. As for the design aspects, for me, they seem to favour the contrived Fugly over the fine; and if I see one more article on building furniture to store tools I swear I'll throw a major wobbly - talk about self-licking lollipops!
But that's the beauty of the free press - I'm free to choose.
K.

Benchwayze":d6zsekjv said:
KevM":d6zsekjv said:
Steve, I think you summed it up very nicely - I look forward to some good articles, edited or otherwise!
Kev

You should see Steve's woodworking! :wink:

I have seen some of Steve's work (at least in print and online) - that's why I'm thrilled he's a contributor to BW :D

yetloh":1sh3xyjc said:
Going back to the beginning, I too worry about BW going monthly. It isn't just the problem of keeping up the standard which is difficult enough in itself, but the inevitabbility of repetition overt time. Jim

So do I!!! It terrifies me, but perhaps I ought to explain the thinking of going monthly. I know that there will be folk who use the change as a pretext (rightly or otherwise, constructively or otherwise) to comment about standards and repetition, and their comments may well turn out to be fair, but I decided that it is worth the risk, because:

1. British Woodworking has established itself sufficiently to be taken more seriously. Some readers and advertisers don't consider bi-monthly magazines as 'proper'.

2. Arguably, the opposition isn't very strong at the moment.

3. We have some fantastic authors at the moment, and most are very helpful in proofing their articles, so the risk of cock-ups is reduced. That said, I'm not afraid of cock-ups generally (though embarrassed by some specific ones), because it shows you are trying. One reader recently commented that projects may vary in standard, but are usually thought-provoking and challenge the ways things are done.

4. Going monthly forces you to be better organised. As when I launched Good Woodworking, I am already commissioning projects to be made specially for the magazine by local woodworkers so that we can experiment with design and techniques and the tools used.

5. I had thought that during a downturn readers would opt for a bi-monthly to save the pennies, but that for some readers the monthly 'woodworking hit' is more critical than the quality, and hence the monthly mag is kept but the bi-monthly is dropped. I don't have much evidence of this: it's a hunch.

6. Early indications are that we will get a bit more advertising as a result, and will be able to make the magazine larger. As some readers may notice, we pack the advertising into the front third of the magazine, and still have some pages where we can do this, so that the bulk of the mag is ad-free.

I know that the mix of very simple and more complex projects may frustrate some readers, especially those who see a magazine as an emblem of their abilities and aspirations, but having spent all my years in woodworking (in my Dad's furniture business, on site, in my own workshop, on magazines, etc...), it's my belief that ideas matter, even if they are very basic. In the latest issue there is a card-throwing device, which some readers may think downgrades the mag. I'd never seen it before, and thought it a fun idea some woodworkers might make as a Christmas present or to sell at a craft fair.

Thanks to Steve and others for their support, and to everyone for their comments. My aim has always been to make BW a magazine for woodworkers, by woodworkers, with as little puff as possible. We will need every bit of help to do this monthly, but on balance I think the opportunity is worth the risk.

Nick

I went into the loft a few days ago, and came across my magazine collection. From the days of magazine binders. I have a long run of 'Good Woodworking', piles of 'The Woodworker,' right back to the 1960s! 'Practical Woodworking', 'F&C', Traditional Woodworking' and Router' magazine. It made me realise I have to de-clutter. It's getting so bad, my daughter has threatened to put me forward as a 'contender' on the Hoarders program on TV!

The fact remains that most magazines are written to educate, and they have to regurgitate subjects, to accommodate the new 'entrants' into the scene. This Forum does the same thing. Subjects are covered over and over as the same questions are asked by new members who seek information. It's easy to refer them to older posts, but it does no harm to answer their query right then and there.

I have cut magazines altogether for the time being, as I get on with the clear-up in my 'house of horrors'! 8) :mrgreen:

Hi All,

I love reading the magazine and really enjoy the mix of projects. We are all so lucky to be interested in woodworking that has such a vast and ever evolving knowledge base. Its great to see it documented now on a monthly basis!

Keep up the good work Nick.

Cheers

Will

Benchwayze":29o7f62n said:
The fact remains that most magazines are written to educate, and they have to regurgitate subjects, to accommodate the new 'entrants' into the scene. This Forum does the same thing. Subjects are covered over and over as the same questions are asked by new members who seek information. It's easy to refer them to older posts, but it does no harm to answer their query right then and there.

Actually, I'd have to say that we quite rarely regurgitate. Though I've never been able to chronicle the content of BW as well as I'd have liked, nor put as much basic information on the website (except the Glossary produced by Fred Page), we do have an index, and back issues are available digitally. In theory, we can direct people to previous articles and basic techniques (if not quite in reality), and as a result we try to make the content more project and test and news based than familiar articles on how to cut a mortise etc... We do use book extracts, which I'm sure some readers don't like, but it gives us content with a different slant and the opportunity for readers to check out a book they might buy.

Hi Nick,

Perhaps regurgitate was the wrong choice of word. :oops:

My intention was to point out that if a magazine seeks to inform and educate newcomers to the world of woodworking, editors have to be aware that these newcomers are arriving all the time. (We hope, at least!) Thus it is necessary on occasion, to publish articles on subjects that have been covered before.

I didn't intend to imply that articles are dug out of past issues and published in their original form, just as 'fillers'.

:)

I didn't think you did, so don't worry. But with so much technical information available on the Net etc... it strikes me that we should be providing more articles that are thought-provoking, good to read, entertaining and inspirational, rather than once again providing tips on cutting a tenon. Finding a balance between the dry and technical, and the anecdotal and interesting is difficult, as has been discussed here before, but is what I try to do.

I guess I try to see the magazine as a perpetual journey, celebrating woodwork as an activity and hopefully inspiring woodworkers of all abilities to try something new or to get more out of what they do already, or just have a good read and a break for a few hours. I hope it complements the role of Forums.

I agree with the comment on F&C about the use of unedited press release puffery to fill space, it is irritating.

Coming back to BW, I hope my comments are not taken as implying that I think the inclusion of simpler stuff downgrades the magazine, something I was trying to avoid. Well written content is always entirely valid no matter what level it is pitched at, but a braod range will reduce the interest level for some readers. That includes me but as things have merged to date, there is still enough content that really interests me to keep me buying. That's not an easy trick to pull off and I hope nick can continue to do it.

Jim

hi all i must admit i used to buy woodturning every month but lately have missed the odd one here and there bought this months bit shocked the price was £3-95 this month £4-75 no wonder they are giving a free book with it maybe hoping you don't notice the price ,not sure i will bother in future :roll:
pip

I've had a subscription to BWW bought for me. and overall it's quite good. (I've read my share of magazines - I've just moved house and given away about 400 of them). I know everyone starts somewhere, but I thought stretching "Making a bench hook" to three pages was unneccessary. It took longer to read than to do.

phil.p":14e8pur1 said:
I thought stretching "Making a bench hook" to three pages was unneccessary. It took longer to read than to do.

Fair comment. But at least Robin Gates's articles are generally good to read.

phil.p":210y9ait said:
It took longer to read than to do.

Oh... I dunno about that so much Phil!

I have a bench hook someone made for me. He took a lot of trouble over it and it certainly wasn't made in a couple of hours. 8)

Although Robin Gates's bench hook wasn't particularly special, I've always thought it is a device that deserves more thought and development, especially if it is to be used as a mitre-cutting guide, and potentially has an integral measure and stops so that it might become the hand version of a chopsaw. I made a hook the length of a bench once, with the cutting slot at the centre, so the waste didn't fall on the ground. It was fine, but difficult to store!!

Back