British Woodworking magazine offer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
senior":2der2wk3 said:
Mr_Grimsdale":2der2wk3 said:
OK sounds interesting. Not quite a USP in sight, a bit samo, but I promise to sneak a look when I see it on a shelf.

cheers
Jacob

uh, whats that mean then, :?
USP = Unique Selling Point i.e. particular special quality which'd make us want to buy this mag rather than another. I picked it up from Mrs G who is into PR a bit. :roll:
samo = same old rubbish. My kids use it a lot, they're always moaning about something!

cheers
Jacob

Dave S":34kmdtwq said:
senior":34kmdtwq said:
You know I once offered the use of my speed sander for a token price on this forum, the post was deleted because it was considered I was selling a service.
One rule for one,.. etc, or was it all down to the fact that I stuck up for my northern mate or had an avatar of a fat bloke, who knows (someone does)
Hmmm - I was having similar thoughts :?

Dave

Me too, just read the rules for this forum which which state:-

5.) Advertising:-
Advertising in threads is strictly prohibited. If you wish to advertise on UKW we offer banner space for companies to advertise their products and services. Please email charley ukworkshop.co.uk for more information.

:? :? :?

I think you will find Nick said in an earlier post that he had asked Charleys permission before posting the message...
In my opinion a magazine is something that can benefit everyone on the forum, as I'm sure everyone here is looking to improve on their own knowledge of working with wood.
I am looking forward to recieving my copy

MooreToolsPlease":27v9pzwa said:
I think you will find Nick said in an earlier post that he had asked Charleys permission before posting the message...
In my opinion a magazine is something that can benefit everyone on the forum, as I'm sure everyone here is looking to improve on their own knowledge of working with wood.

But surely then its a case of why have rules if they can be bent or broken, i'm sure theres a lot of people on the forum which would have liked the opportunity to use my speed sander (by the way, the offer is off the table now), I have lost count of the number of posts i have had removed because they were too funny, too witty, too mod unfriendly, too childish, too whatever but I suppose i'm not advertising the UK workshop forum in my magazine...

MooreToolsPlease":16zs1n3b said:

I did read that and I am not getting at Nick or Charley but I wondered why an exception had been made to the no advertising rule.
I agree that a magazine can improve someones knowledge, but so can a book, an instruction video or a training course but you don't see those advertised, so I am still :? :? :?

Good luck with the launch Nick...

I'll take a look at it in WHSmiffs if they have it... as with all the mags these days, if it has something of interest, I'll buy it... if not, it stays on the shelf :wink:

senior":1cbgtod7 said:
I have lost count of the number of posts i have had removed because they were too funny, too witty, too mod unfriendly, too childish, too whatever but I suppose i'm not advertising the UK workshop forum in my magazine...
Or perhaps it's because you are a regular contributor :?

Thanks, Dom. Sorry Charley if I've compromised you in any way, and thank you to everyone who has offered support.

Nick

I think what was surprising about this thread is firstly; that (if you look at Nick's first post) he seems to assume that he needs only to tell us that he is doing a new magazine and where to send the money, and that we will all troop along and buy it, grateful for the magnificent 10p off.
Secondly he seemed to be irritated that we presume to ask what this mag might contain! We had to drag it out of him!
The idea that an editor might ask us what we would like to see in a mag gets completely disregarded.
There are other contributors who also promote their services; David C and his courses, videos, books and LN tools being the most obvious, but at least he enters into the discussions.
Then there are many other professionals who chip in out of interest, with self promotion obviously not their first objective, even if they do benefit indirectly.
But then if there are enough people prepared to be a bit independantly minded and critical, perhaps it doesn't matter at all - as long as the mods allow it!

cheers
Jacob

Nick

Good luck with the launch. I think F&C needs a challenger so hopefully you will be able to provide it.

Just out of curiosity, how does the 'The Uk's No.1 Woodworking Magazine' substantiate that claim?

Cheers

Tim

I think its only "apprentices" which buy these mags anyway, I haven't bought a wood mag for 15 + years. Not because I'm above them, but usually I am knowledgable on 95% of their content and therefore £3.30 seems expensive for maybe a tool reveiw.

That's great for you (and I know you weren't one of the people rubbishing the whole idea so this isn't aimed at you), but some of us need to read and ask questions in order to make a little progress.

There is a feeling going on here that if something (for example a magazine or book) doesn't appeal to an individual then it has to be described as a waste of time and space. In fact, there is room for all tastes without slagging off anyone who has differing ones, and a need for magazines that cover a range of topics. The market will, in both cases, be the final arbiter anyway.

Nick

The links on the right of the magazine webpage don't work

I'm not one for mags either , i prefer the dvd's :wink: BUT if Mr G had offered to review something for me i don't think i would have passed up the offer . There are so many questions on here about how do i make a window , how do i make a door etc wouldn't taking a bit of advice from someone that does it for a living be smart ? Or maybe you just want to sell mags and don't give two hoots what people want ?
In the good old days the mags told people how to make and repair things , does yours do that ? If not why not ? Do you really think people are not interested in how they can repair their own homes or make them better ?
Good luck with the mag , i for one wont be buying it as i think you are up your own bottom !

Good luck with the magazine, Nick. I'd take no notice of the grumpy elements :wink:

Scrit

Do you think Charley could set up a new rank for certain members. Like Alf has 'Hand Tool Goddess' they could have something like 'Grumpy Old Git' :roll:

I can see where you are coming from so will try and clear things up. Yes you are right, the rules should apply to everyone but occasionally in the past I have over-ruled some posts and allowed them to be posted.

In this instance Nick emailed me for permission. When a member emails me, there can be a bit of leeway to the rules (depending on the situation) if I feel it will benefit the members - but if you just post without permission the moderators have to react according to the rules.

UKW is to be mentioned in the first issue of Nick's magazine so I wanted to return the favour for something which will hopefully be good advertising for UKW and the forums and bring us new members. I think it's good when woodworking resources can work together and help each other out as it benefits us - the woodworkers.

I'm sorry if my decision to allow Nick's post has upset anyone. I certainly don't want people to think that it's one rule for them and another for someone else as this is something we work hard to try and avoid.

senior":3dkcjg59 said:
MooreToolsPlease":3dkcjg59 said:

But surely then its a case of why have rules if they can be bent or broken, i'm sure theres a lot of people on the forum which would have liked the opportunity to use my speed sander (by the way, the offer is off the table now), I have lost count of the number of posts i have had removed because they were too funny, too witty, too mod unfriendly, too childish, too whatever but I suppose i'm not advertising the UK workshop forum in my magazine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back