British Woodworking magazine offer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchwayze wrote:
Ingham is good, but more practical for me was dear old Jim Kingshott
RI's work in my view is staggeringly technical and very highly engineered (at the opposite end of the spectrum to Krenov). I have a deep regard for the other JK (used to live in the same village as him when he was alive) but I feel of a different standard to RI. That said, I have a deep regard for Kingshott (I've got most of his books) and think he was an excellent craftsman of the 'old school' - Rob

Tony":2meyb97l said:
If this thread returns on topic with constructive discussion of the new magazine, it won't be locked.
That wasn't my understanding of the topic at all. :-k But to be on topic (as I see it), can I ask why long-time contributor Steve Maskery has apparently spent his savings on a banner ad for his DVD (good luck, Steve) and yet Nick Gibbs, who in a previous editorial incarnation has as good as threatened this forum that unless we say positive things about his magazine this forum wouldn't get a mention in said magazine, gets advertising for free?

Cheers, Alf

OK, so here's an opinion in another direction: print magazines are dead. Yes, there's a market for beautiful, expensively produced and edited work, but not using dead trees. Instead, charge for online content. Fine Woodworking does a perfect job, IMO, but is too American. Do the same for Europe and you'll have a winner. Personally, I don't visit a newsagents for months at a time, so I'm not going to pick up a copy on a whim, and I stopped subscribing to any delivered magazines years ago.

NO!

Please let's not go down this route, there has been quite enough fire in posts in this topic and others this last few days, without it turning into an argument about the relative merits of the business models of people who are just trying to survive by their modest skills in this god-forsaken world.

How about we all just wish Nick and me the best of luck, as we surely both need it, in our respective ventures to share our knowledge with the rest of the woodworking community whilst being able to buy our own food at the same time instead of having to rely on someone else's economic worth to do it for us, eh?

Thanks very much, Alf, for the good wishes, very much appreciated, but please let's not descend into a debate about Nick's post and my banner. Absolutely no good can come out of it.

Steve

IN REPLY TO WOODBLOKE (Rob)

Maybe this requires a thread of its own Rob.

I also have high regard for Krenov. (I was lucky enough to be able to buy his books when they first appeared over here.) Like you and me, he rarely uses sandpaper on his pieces.

Robert Ingham's designs are staggering, but there are times when I question the functionality of his work (Not often) .

I could question the functionality of Krenov's work too I suppose, because some of his pieces were much smaller in the 'flesh' than the photographs in his books suggest. Certainly at times, smaller than they should be to fulfil their role. (That's my opinion you understand.)

In the end, I like the relaxed, reflective approach of Krenov and the downright, honest to goodness everyday craftsmanship of Jim Kingshott. Not only a fine cabinet maker, who helped make Mosquito aircraft during the war, but a precise metalworker too, who made some fine bench-planes for himself.

In short Rob, I miss being able to pick up the phone to call him whenever things weren't going too well in the shop. He always had time for me, and I am sure for anyone else with a problem. I suppose I just miss the man and I doubt I am alone in that.

To return to the new magazine, knowing Nick Gibbs's journalistic talents, I am sure his magazine will be the best he can make it. So I am going to read it.

Someone said that American magazines are better than ours. There is certainly some fine photography, and the paper they use, generally is the best. They also have some talented artists who can convey a sense of atmosphere with their 'rough and ready' sketches, that really aren't rough and ready at all. But they do have more advertisements than our magazines. Also, they are not quite so receptive to 'unknown' woodworkers who submit projects to them, with a view to publication. I know that from experience.

So after this lengthy post, I am going back to my workshop, because I forgot to turn off the light in there!

Take care Rob
John :)

How can you charge for online content when you can come to this site and get all the answers you need ?
P.S Nick , i'm sorry if you where offended by my backside comment , it was an off the cuff remark from a hairy bummed chippy :D

Hmmmm! I agree Steve.

So I don't think I will write that book about the Leigh jig after all! I've seen less flak in a four-inch gun turret!

John

:lol:

Firstly I hope Woodbloke does not mean that James Krenov has died - although I gather from his website he has stopped making cabinets.

Re the mag I doubt if there is a space for another publication as

a> I see no "USB" as previously noted
b> It is difficult to avoid descending into endless gear tests (even F&C is guilty of this although this is balanced by the overall content remaining good)
c>the number of potential purchasers seriously interested in fine woodwork is limited and they are already quite well catered for.
d>I don't need to know how to make a cart out of matchsticks as I once saw in the Woodworker
e>What's the point of the British bit? Much of the interesting work is inevitably from elsewhere. Tools also viz LN and LV

All the best with the magazine. Perhaps you could post a message at some point in the future when overseas rates are determined.

Steve

RustHunter":1xu87eb4 said:
senior":1xu87eb4 said:
Personally I think knowledge is negligable anyway, I think it all comes down to natural abilities. You've either got it or you haven't.
Codswallop! Your natural ability is probably there because you went to college and were taught the basics, the theory of doing your job, just like the rest of us. Since starting work you have likely been the recipient of much acquired knowledge from more experienced people as well as learning from your mistakes. So your ability is built on the knowledge of others. Your talent is all your own, but no doubt even that was nurtured by others. And being talented is still no excuse for arrogance or rudeness

Ted
Thats uncanny, 4 posts and you have my character spot on. Yes I did go to college, for an HND in agriculture :D after 4 years I ended up with a distinction in alcohol consumption, and could tell the difference between a potato and a carrot.

Modernist":2wjob9p7 said:
Firstly I hope Woodbloke does not mean that James Krenov has died - although I gather from his website he has stopped making cabinets.
No it's okay Mod. Krenov was still with us yesterday, or so I read on his site. Also still making cabinets, but that could be wrong of course.

John :)

Steve, it's not about business models, it's about unprincipled use and abuse of this forum and its membership. It's about threatening us one moment and then taking advantage of our hospitality the next. It sticks in my throat when someone does it for their own twisted amusement, but for financial gain...? But as I seem to be the only one who actually gives a damn I s'pose I'll just have to go and find some wilderness to be a lone voice in.

Cheers, Alf

senior":18zrw6jv said:
snip
Thats uncanny, 4 posts and you have my character spot on. Yes I did go to college, for an HND in agriculture :D after 4 years I ended up with a distinction in alcohol consumption, and could tell the difference between a potato and a carrot.
Garn then wossa difrunce :lol:
Take no notice of them senior we're on your side - and don't storm off again in a huff we need you here.

cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":1vhhw76r said:
senior":1vhhw76r said:
snip
Garn then wossa difrunce :lol:
Take no notice of them senior we're on your side - and don't storm off again in a huff we need you here.

cheers
Jacob

Thanks Grim, a potato is brown a carrot isn't. :lol: Toys bolted down in my pram

Alf":36ga04qf said:
Steve, it's not about business models, it's about unprincipled use and abuse of this forum and its membership. It's about threatening us one moment and then taking advantage of our hospitality the next. It sticks in my throat when someone does it for their own twisted amusement, but for financial gain...? But as I seem to be the only one who actually gives a damn I s'pose I'll just have to go and find some wilderness to be a lone voice in.

Cheers, Alf

FWIW, I agree entirely.

Dave

I also agree Alf but it seems my bottom comment caused some upset and that was never my intention .

Nick Gibbs":2f8psnj5 said:
Jacob, you ask for a free copy and offer an unbiased review. Wow. That seems almost too good to miss. But you know, this time I think I'll pass. The unbiased review I'm most interested in is whether or not you buy a second issue, or perhaps even take out a subscription.

I had hoped the incentive was convenience, and knocked off 10p as a gesture. I think you might be surprised how much it costs to launch a magazine oneself, and every penny counts. I thought that people might buy it out of curiousity and with open minds.

Fortunately it sounds as if that's Mike C's approach (and plenty of others), and I thank them for that, as you need every bit of support you can find in this industry.

If, Jacob, you and most other woodworkers are entirely satisfied with the British woodworking magazines, then I'll shut up shop and do something less stressful. But it's my belief that things can be made better, and with sufficient passion and hard work it's worth doing; and surely it's worth giving people a chance to have a go without knocking them before they even start.

I hope you buy a copy of British Woodworking, and enjoy it. You'll be paying a tiny amount more for it (plus petrol etc...) and I'll receive a small amount less, and the winners are the distributors and Smiths, and in a minute way you'll have less money to spend on wood and I'll have less money to spend on better content, which you might have perhaps enjoyed more! So your little jibe seems to be backfiring from where I'm sitting.

Thanks.

Nick

PS Oh, and we mention gadgets on the cover, because for many people that's what rocks their boat.

Nick - First a million thanks for trying, I wish you every success. Just as a matter of interest, when I'm in Uk I usually fork out for a few woody mags at the WH Smith type shops. I just did so on Friday and I have to say I was not really satisfied. I have found myself having to edit the photo captions, correct the grammer, and spend more time than I want re-reading things which were not written clearly and concisdely. I was sorry to see you leave your post at GWW and I do hope you can get this new publication off the ground.

I've highlighted the part of your post that's important but decided to leave the other parts as well 'cos I can't see how anyone can argue with what you say.

Again - Please keep on-topic. I've already posted why I allowed Nick' post and Tony's request has been ignored...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back