British Woodworking magazine offer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacob, you ask for a free copy and offer an unbiased review. Wow. That seems almost too good to miss. But you know, this time I think I'll pass. The unbiased review I'm most interested in is whether or not you buy a second issue, or perhaps even take out a subscription.

I had hoped the incentive was convenience, and knocked off 10p as a gesture. I think you might be surprised how much it costs to launch a magazine oneself, and every penny counts. I thought that people might buy it out of curiousity and with open minds.

Fortunately it sounds as if that's Mike C's approach (and plenty of others), and I thank them for that, as you need every bit of support you can find in this industry.

If, Jacob, you and most other woodworkers are entirely satisfied with the British woodworking magazines, then I'll shut up shop and do something less stressful. But it's my belief that things can be made better, and with sufficient passion and hard work it's worth doing; and surely it's worth giving people a chance to have a go without knocking them before they even start.

I hope you buy a copy of British Woodworking, and enjoy it. You'll be paying a tiny amount more for it (plus petrol etc...) and I'll receive a small amount less, and the winners are the distributors and Smiths, and in a minute way you'll have less money to spend on wood and I'll have less money to spend on better content, which you might have perhaps enjoyed more! So your little jibe seems to be backfiring from where I'm sitting.

Thanks.

Nick

PS Oh, and we mention gadgets on the cover, because for many people that's what rocks their boat.

What would rock my boat is a 'basics' feature - a how-to-do for us complete newby klutzes. Not just the sharpening planes stuff, that is everywhere, but how to get work accurate, how to choose timber and so on.

I don't know if that would put off part of the potential readership, but it would certainly attract me.

Nick Gibbs":i81zp11u said:
Jacob, you ask for a free copy and offer an unbiased review. Wow. That seems almost too good to miss. But you know, this time I think I'll pass. The unbiased review I'm most interested in is whether or not you buy a second issue, or perhaps even take out a subscription.

I had hoped the incentive was convenience, and knocked off 10p as a gesture. I think you might be surprised how much it costs to launch a magazine oneself, and every penny counts. I thought that people might buy it out of curiousity and with open minds.

Fortunately it sounds as if that's Mike C's approach (and plenty of others), and I thank them for that, as you need every bit of support you can find in this industry.

If, Jacob, you and most other woodworkers are entirely satisfied with the British woodworking magazines, then I'll shut up shop and do something less stressful. But it's my belief that things can be made better, and with sufficient passion and hard work it's worth doing; and surely it's worth giving people a chance to have a go without knocking them before they even start.

I hope you buy a copy of British Woodworking, and enjoy it. You'll be paying a tiny amount more for it (plus petrol etc...) and I'll receive a small amount less, and the winners are the distributors and Smiths, and in a minute way you'll have less money to spend on wood and I'll have less money to spend on better content, which you might have perhaps enjoyed more! So your little jibe seems to be backfiring from where I'm sitting.

Thanks.

Nick

PS Oh, and we mention gadgets on the cover, because for many people that's what rocks their boat.
Yebbut what's it for this magazine? What will it do which the others don't?
There is nothing much on the website, no list of contents, no indication of any policy or particular approach etc. etc.
Why are you launching another woodwork magazine?
Why should we buy it?
All seem perfectly reasonable questions to me.

cheers
Jacob

Jacob, if you don't want to buy it, then don't buy it. Give Nick a break.

I have ordered a copy as I am intregued, and my subscription for GWW has recently expired. I do think that some magazines can be improved upon, and there is only one way to find out if British Woodworking is any better... try it.

Slimjim81":39vmnkgf said:
Jacob, if you don't want to buy it, then don't buy it. Give Nick a break.

I have ordered a copy as I am intregued, and my subscription for GWW has recently expired. I do think that some magazines can be improved upon, and there is only one way to find out if British Woodworking is any better... try it.

Here, here.

My copy is ordered too.

Good luck Nick

Martin

Mike, no need to deconstruct my post, i'm simply asking the question what makes the magazine 'british' if the first thing mentioned on the website is gadgets from the US and Canada - why not gadgets from the UK?

Also, I have to stick up for Mr G a bit here, there is currently quite a lot of woodworking magazines in the UK market, all he is asking, and me too in a fashion is; what will the magazine do better than the others? What makes it unique other than it's editor? Why should we buy it in preference to the other offerings?

If Nick wants to advertise and give us an incentive to buy his mag - and that i'm genuinly grateful for (as i'll be buying the first edition) then it's only right that we get to ask him questions about the magazine, it's direction, it's content etc.. as the website currently offers nothing in the way of content for us to find about the mag.

If others are quite happy to blindly buy anything anyone asks you to without finding out more about the product then thats your lookout, but don't take the thread down to a personal level yet again.

Let me re-iterate, I have nothing against Nick, and I wish him well with his magazine, and I hope it turns out well, because other than F&C IMO I think the others are a waste of time. I would just like more info about the mags direction and content.

ByronBlack":1fcisfqn said:
snip
If others are quite happy to blindly buy anything anyone asks you to without finding out more about the product
snip
The "Big Issue" school of salesmanship :lol:
Actually Smudger made an interesting suggestion:
What would rock my boat is a 'basics' feature - a how-to-do for us complete newby klutzes. Not just the sharpening planes stuff, that is everywhere, but how to get work accurate, how to choose timber and so on.
and I suggested no more guff about gadgets and jigs.
What about a thread asking for more suggestions about desirable content. Postpone your launch Nick it's too soon - do a bit of serious market research first instead of assuming that you already know what rocks our boats!

cheers
Jacob
PS These are "comments" not "jibes"

Ok, here's what's in the first issue, and a little bit of rationale. I'm not trying to justify British Woodworking, but to explain what we're trying to do.

1. The magazine opens with a section of letters, tips and web recommendations, and newsy bits.
2. There's a section of tools on test. Many won't be for you. Some might be, but we hope the writing will provoke some thoughts. And what we test will evolve.
3. There's a blanket box project by a home woodworker, aimed to identify with the process of making something with limited time and resources. Plus there's a look at blanket boxes by professionals as inspiration. We want to promote the finest British craftsmanship (see the cover, which isn't the one of the website yet).
4. A feature about forums, looking at UKWorkshop, and discussing the good and bad points of a forum. We challenge various forums to answer a question we posed them, to see if there is consistency in the answer. We also asked professionals the same question to see how the answers matched. We are very keen to promote information on the internet (and information of any sort), but also to test its provision.
5. Tobias Kaye talks about turning cedar of Lebanon with houndstooth figuring, as part of our commitment to native timber (part of the British theme to the mag).
6. There's an article about making a ladderback chair, with comments from Mike Abbott, John Brown, Peter Hindle and others on the use of rounders.
7. David Savage writes about the use of a small block plane (we are keen to promote the use of handtools) to finish the surface of an English oak table (British craftsmanship and native timber again).
8. Rob Leach, a young antique restorer, talks about the use of pumice powder for filling grain, instead of using a rubber and polish to build up the surface. This is a technique he was taught by someone who was trained in France. But we want to promote traditional techniques, especially if they have an interesting angle.
9. We ask whether Screwfix's test of screws in their latest catalogue (No.87) stands up to our own testing. We interview some of the people in the test, and conduct our own objective testing. This is further evidence of our desire to test information, as well as do objective testing of consumables.
10. We feature the world's largest bowl, and the process of making it. In Austria! There's our world view.
11. Bill Newton explains how to sharpen and reset planer knives. This is probably good for the beginner.
12. There's a piece about routing a solitaire board, using various jigs, and then a discussion about selling your work at a craft fair. We want to explore the motivation behind the making of pieces.
13. And there's more, here and there. There are things missing that I will be making sure we get in in future issues.

This isn't meant to be defensive, but when you read the label on a pre-cooked meal (about the same price) you do usually get to see the contents.

Our key themes are: British craftsmanship; Innovation and resourcefulness in tools and making (British and otherwise); Classic & Contemporary Design; Traditional techniques; British timber (plus a few nice exotics!); Interesting woodworkers; Great workshops; Information provision/testing.

I have a pretty clear idea of the type of woodworkers who will enjoy the magazine. If it's you, great. If it's not, no worries. Let's hope there are more of the former than the latter!!!!! And if you like what you find, and feel you understand the philosophy, then please offer to contribute. We need as many interesting approaches to woodwork as we can find.

Have a good weekend.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I'm glad you havn't taken mine and Mr G's comments personal. From the content's list and the information you have provided, it sounds like a magazine that would interest me, mainly because of 'Traditional Techniques' and 'Hand Tools' - I think that is a good route to go down as most mags don't seem to cover that to well, instead focusing on what jig or powertool is the best option.

Also, articles on british timber, where to buy, what to use etc.. sounds good to me as that is the basic requirment we all have as woodworkers.. the material! It's surprising on how many mags bypass this altogether and fill their mags with spice racks and tablesaw jigs.

Good luck with the magazine, Nick :wink: I'll be interested in the article on pumice powder. I read an article about it in a magazine many years ago and was so impressed I bought a small jar of the stuff. Never got round to using it and I still have it on a shelf somewhere - maybe your article will inspire me to use it this time :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

ByronBlack,

Mike, no need to deconstruct my post,

I am not deconstructing anyones post. I am doing what everyone else does and quoting you.

ByronBlack,

If others are quite happy to blindly buy anything anyone asks you to without finding out more about the product then thats your lookout

Oh come on Byron, if you see a magazine that you fancy on a newsagents shelf I am sure you do not go home and phone the company before you buy it. We are talking about £3 for a magazine and not £300 for a tool.

You are entitled to say what you want, but before you set eyes on the very first issue, I think instead of criticism you should be supporting a fellow member in his new venture. After being the Editor of a number of magazines, Nick has taken the plunge and launched his own, so come on give lets him a break. I am sure if you were in the same boat you would want all the support you could get.
On the other hand when you have read the first issue I am sure that he will want to hear what you have to say whether it is good or bad.

Cheers

Mike

Mike - If I go into a shop, I look at the magazine, read whats in it, and have a look at the contents page, or even flick through if possible before buying it. I don't just go and buy a mag because someone has asked to - I need to know a little more about it first, which Nick was most kind in providing.

Also, there was no critisicm - I was asking questions, why is that such a bad thing? How can you learn about a product or the direction of a product if you don't ask questions?

I will most certainly give my views to Nick upon reading his mag in a fair and reasonable manner like I try to with anything I comment on.

You know I once offered the use of my speed sander for a token price on this forum, the post was deleted because it was considered I was selling a service.
One rule for one,.. etc, or was it all down to the fact that I stuck up for my northern mate or had an avatar of a fat bloke, who knows (someone does)

got to be the fat bloke avatar - nothing more offensive than a semi-naked fat man, I should know, I am one :)

senior":y9bcmibu said:
You know I once offered the use of my speed sander for a token price on this forum, the post was deleted because it was considered I was selling a service.
One rule for one,.. etc, or was it all down to the fact that I stuck up for my northern mate or had an avatar of a fat bloke, who knows (someone does)
Hmmm - I was having similar thoughts :?

Dave

Escaping from the fat naked men for a minute to get back to the mag:
OK sounds interesting. Not quite a USP in sight, a bit samo, but I promise to sneak a look when I see it on a shelf.
I don't buy many mags unless I happen to be hanging about near a newstand waiting for mrs G etc. I do buy books - much better value IMHO, you'd need many years of mag subs to cover, say, Joyce's contents, and they'd take up half your attic and be unreadable.

cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":nmpvj5vq said:
OK sounds interesting. Not quite a USP in sight, a bit samo, but I promise to sneak a look when I see it on a shelf.

cheers
Jacob

uh, whats that mean then, :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back