British hardwoods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Open day this Saturday, 10-4. Worth a look, I hope to pop along.

Well, I popped along. Mixed opinions. There were various lots of boards which seemed good value, but nothing that I really wanted amongst them. It was very much bits and pieces .

There was probably 3/4 pack of brown oak, which was what I wanted to get, but it was all 175mm to 200mm wide, struggling to get the 1200mm in length without splits, dead knots etc. Cheap at £10 a board, but looked like the dregs. I couldn't find a single board that was what I wanted, let alone 2 sets of 2 to edge joint. I hope that they have some more available at some point because I do like the merchant and brown oak.

My daughter and I had a good look around the timber available and after a design change we chose a nice 400mm wide, 2400mm long piece of elm, plus another smaller piece that would make up the frame of the piece. For the large board, there was a choice of 4, so we spent quite a few mins choosing. We struggled a bit finding enough to make up the frame without having to buy another large board, but we did. It wasn't cheap, but I was happy to pay for nice boards. Stock of any timber wider than 350 was limited, but I like elm so am happy with the ride out.

I thought it was a good event. Several "stalls" and some cheap decent bits of wood (for small projects)

I would certainly go again. I had a glance around the stalls, but I was there mainly for the wood.

Back