Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave others earlier on in the thread. The heads exploding thing was a joke, people with a sense of humour would have caught that.
Rorschach, I went back to the beginning of the thread. You said some stuff about how some low cost items might end up being cheaper. Talked about fishing quotas four or five years hence. After I read your post where you stated that nothing had made any real difference to you, I stopped reading.
No doubt that post was a joke as well.

Bob thinks Pacific Rim trading is a potential benefit.
But we already trade with the Pacific Rim. And it's a long way from Dover (not many people know that, they'll be in for a shock - "are we nearly there yet?" etc)

Rorschach, I went back to the beginning of the thread. You said some stuff about how some low cost items might end up being cheaper. Talked about fishing quotas four or five years hence. After I read your post where you stated that nothing had made any real difference to you, I stopped reading.
No doubt that post was a joke as well.

I also said about ending free movement but apparently that makes me a xenophobe even though that also makes Australians, NZders, Americans xenophobes as well but hey ho.

I also said about ending free movement but apparently that makes me a xenophobe even though that also makes Australians, NZders, Americans xenophobes as well but hey ho.
Was that before or after the post where you said it hadn't affected you one way or the other?
And how has the ending of free movement benefitted you?

Was that before or after the post where you said it hadn't affected you one way or the other?
And how has the ending of free movement benefitted you?

It hasn't affected me yet, we have only been out for 5 weeks! Give it chance man.
Ending of free movement will allow us to control which kinds of professions are allowed to migrate here protecting jobs in industries which are already well staffed. That in turn will help (not solve, it needs more than just that) the housing crisis that is preventing me and my friends and family from being able to afford to buy a house.

I am very pro immigration, as long as it is controlled and we get the right kinds of people come here, just like those xenophobic Australians do. (That xenophobic bit was a joke for humourless)

Yes xenophobe. A result of carefully cultivated dislike/distrust of foreigners.
Free movement in fact possibly the single most progressive and democratic thing about the EU - and the most alarming to those opposed to the social chapter and better conditions for workers.
It's an old trick. It used to be the French, Spanish, catholics, most promoted as enemies. Then the black population - marginalised to prolong slavery. Then the Germans - used to promote the utterly unnecessary but deadly WW1.
And so it goes, a continual propaganda war, to sow division.
United we stand.......

Yes xenophobe. A result of carefully cultivated dislike/distrust of foreigners.
In fact possibly the single most progressive and democratic thing about the EU - and the most alarming to those opposed to the social chapter and better conditions for workers.
It's an old trick. It used to be the French, Spanish, catholics, most promoted as enemies. Then the black population - marginalised to prolong slavery. Then the Germans - used to promote the utterly unnecessary but deadly WW1.
And so it goes, a continual propaganda war, to sow division.
United we stand.......

Nothing to do with distrust or disliking them at all. I have many foreign friends around the world and in Europe, I love them, but it doesn't mean I want them to have freedom to come live and work here.

I’m happy to accept you have misunderstood rather than just being a ......
So Bob, to get back to my original point. This thread started because some people were/are experiencing difficulties post Brexit. If it hasn't affected you (or Rorschach) one way or the other, why do you feel the need to engage? My theory was jeering and gloating, but you actively deny that. When I asked, in the interest of balance, if you could point to one tangible benefit, you couldn't. So you resorted to asking me if I was stamping or banging my first, presumably to give yourself more time to come up with...well, nothing.
I shall flounce off in a huff now, maybe dish out a few brownie points to my gang first.

Ok cool, see ya. Funny how you don’t want different views, and consider “nothing’s changed” as gloating and jeering. And yet I get mullered for saying “your pessimistic “. Funny old world

Last edited:
That in turn will help (not solve, it needs more than just that) the housing crisis that is preventing me and my friends and family from being able to afford to buy a house.
It is highly unlikely that the end of free movement will lead to any meaningful change in the housing situation. If anything in the event there was a drop in the housing market caused by a sudden rush of departures then it's likely the government would move to shore up those prices via other mechanisms.

Housing in the UK has become expensive because it's been made artificially scarce by a variety of government policies since the 50's.

A policy which reversed that artificial scarcity, and drove prices down would be politically very uncomfortable for any government, who would alienate a lot of people, and potentially create a negative equity crisis.

So until the majority of UK voters don't own their own home, and a party identifes that as a strategy which will allow them to win, it's most likely that we will continue to see successive governments come out with grand sounding but ultimately quite small and ineffective plans on housing.

So odds on, you will just have to wait it out until the political calculus changes.

The reason for asking if you were stamping your feet was the fact you asked me the same thing 3 times in 2 minutes. Whilst I was having my tea. I found it rather needy, and pictured you having steam coming out your ears bit like Ian paisley thumping the table

.....have many foreign friends around the world and in Europe, I love them, but it doesn't mean I want them to have freedom to come live and work here.
1 Why not?
2 What if they want to come and live and work here?
3 What if you want to go and live and work there?
4 How specific should freedom of movement be and why? What about between the UK Nations? What about all those Yorkshire people moving into Derbyshire? What about those funny ferkers in several villages around me!
What about the 3 other of the "Four Freedoms"
• Free movement of goods.
• Free movement of capital.
• Freedom to establish and provide services.
Why should these be free to move but not Free movement of persons.
Is there some sort of logic behind this?
What about banning free movement of capital as well? If not, why not?

Last edited:
So you think just because you were lucky enough to be born on a particular lump of mud, you get the right to deny everyone else from living on whatever lump of mud they would like to? Let us hope your lump of mud doesn't turn into a lump of something else and you feel like moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back