Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todays news seems to be problems for the Steel Industry as the free trade agreement has limitations and the effective quota will run out in a few months but on the upside we are applying to join a trading club of Pacific Rim nations ... 🤨

They could still employ British people, just like firms here can still employ Europeans, the difference is there is no automatic right to be able to work/settle. You know this of course, but it isn't on your record.
You are getting there!
No automatic right to be able to work/settle is the main deterrent, on top of the big mess of new red tape, insurances, vehicle licences, processes about access to public services and so on.
It's already worked brilliantly in Britain with a shortage of foreign farm workers last season and a big fall in NHS recruitment, helped by a deliberately policy of hostility to foreigners.
It's all going to plan, stopping freedom of movement and xenophobia were top of the brexit agenda from day one.

....................... upside we are applying to join a trading club of Pacific Rim nations ... 🤨

That's not a bad thing and yes I see you have said "upside" but then a frowny face, so curious as to what you feel about it.

:ROFLMAO:
Remind me, where is "the Pacific Rim" in relation to Dover?

if you think it's just geographical position that's important then I can't change your mind.

Not that I could, as that's not how it works on an internet forum. It is just binary.
Trade only with next door, never further afield.
I'd be looking more at the 900million customers, the ÂŁ9 trillion market.
How's the calculus going?

Last edited:
if you think it's just geographical position that's important then I can't change your mind.
Geographical position is important due to distance and journey times. This is why you get your kitchen jobs mainly within 100 miles or so (I guess) and hardly ever in, say, Taiwan. It's simper than you think.
Raab was even confused about where Europe was in relation to Dover, so its no wonder that other people are confused and simple logic is out of the window
Trade only with next door, never further afield.
Go for it! What is holding you back? The world is your oyster!
Remember the advice of your great leader IBS:
“I just wish I was 21 again, frankly,.....Because my goodness what prospects lie ahead of us for young people now. To be out there buccaneering, trading, dominating the world again...”
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/p...buccaneer-trade-and-dominate-the-world/01/01/And don't forget - Anne Widdecombe is watching you and has high expectations!

Last edited:
Geographical position is important due to distance and journey times. This is why you get your kitchen jobs mainly within 100 miles or so (I guess) and hardly ever in, say, Taiwan. It's simper than you think.
Raab was even confused about where Europe was in relation to Dover, so its no wonder that other people are confused and simple logic is out of the windowGo for it! What is holding you back? The world is your oyster!
Remember the advice of your great leader IBS:
“I just wish I was 21 again, frankly," IDS - an arch-Brexiteer - said. "Because my goodness what prospects lie ahead of us for young people now. To be out there buccaneering, trading, dominating the world again...”
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/p...buccaneer-trade-and-dominate-the-world/01/01/

I understand. (see non binary)
why is a bad thing, joining the Pacific rim group.

I see all that but why is a bad thing though, joining the Pacific rim group.
We already trade with the Pacific rim. It's not a bad thing at all. But it isn't a simple alternative to trading with the EU, now that that has become so problematic.

If it were a serious virus then yes the 60% would be a problem...
As I've noted before; I'll pass your thoughts onto my (exhausted doctor) wife. I'm sure she'll be relieved to hear that their terrified, gasping, and dying patients are faking it, and the protocols they have in place in the hospital with "covid hot" wards are all completely unnecessary.

Yes true, same point holds though. Breaking commitments in a prior contract cannot be within the scope of that.

I don't agree... Breaking commitments is arguably within the scope of "Best Efforts" - it means doing the very best you can to do something. The addition of the word reasonable and then the comparison to other similar companies implies it is not. Either way, the EU isn't going to litigate over this because that would take years. AZ still has the easiest vaccine to transport and will be the winner until the single dose vaccines come in.

I understand. (see non binary)
why is a bad thing, joining the Pacific rim group.
I believe we already have trade agreements with a number of the members of that block; though there are rumours the US might join now that Biden is in charge (Trump was against it). That could provide a useful benefit.

Analogy alert: The problem of course is that it's like celebrating getting a wooden leg after deliberately cutting your real one off; it's a positive, sure, but tiny in comparison to what you've lost.

I think that is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have seen on this thread.
How about this then?

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 10.27.52.png

I believe we already have trade agreements with a number of the members of that block; though there are rumours the US might join now that Biden is in charge (Trump was against it). That could provide a useful benefit.

Analogy alert: The problem of course is that it's like celebrating getting a wooden leg after deliberately cutting your real one off; it's a positive, sure, but tiny in comparison to what you've lost.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They could still employ British people, just like firms here can still employ Europeans, the difference is there is no automatic right to be able to work/settle. You know this of course, but it isn't on your record.
So you really think they would move their company to EU and offer (expensive) expat contracts to British people for the sake of it, instead of hiring cheaper local workforce ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back