Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that it Noel, bit thin on the ground compared to the normal 3000 word essay. doesn't really help explain the situation from your prospective.
Are you excusing the EU (a mess), but still having a dig at others (Arlene on R4 blah, blah .......)
Must be painful.......

Little point, you've no interest in NI/Ireland or the island's welfare.
BTW, your post about A122 seem to reflect, almost word for word the misinformation spouted by the DT/Express and the likes of Bridgen, O'Neill etc.

In the meantime can I recommend:

b9x9Jaw.jpg

Little point, you've no interest in NI/Ireland or the island's welfare.

Very well argued Noel, although you come accross as a tad bitter, and your arguement never stopped you in the past. Sounds like you've taken your football home as well, come on dont be a ......

FhDMBW1oGBvQK02tqyk2oK4e5JAT4z49km0IGGP_NVyDqgAJRaHyUiVjI7LsnsuE31cLrSEGryR6pezFZZQ7xny-1CdVP91uOtOoBnJJB8IpxOACBZpIF3q9fMxfpoHcxg35N6U4

Last time a thread went like this, you lot got miffed, and the thread was closed down. :ROFLMAO:

Come on Noel, stop pouting.

Last edited:
BTW, your post about A122 seem to reflect, almost word for word the misinformation spouted by the DT/Express and the likes of Bridgen, O'Neill etc.

or any daily paper, radio station, TV, internet forum, twitter, mate it's all over the news, just watch TV.

Noel, hats off mate, at least you did a half hearted reply.
The rest of the Tuffty gang has gone into hiding ......................

Anyway just for old times sake this will make you chuckle, seeing as how UVdL is headlining the gig at present

May put up a Diane Abbott video for Jacob, too early at the moment.

Last edited:
or any daily paper, radio station, TV, internet forum, twitter, mate it's all over the news, just watch TV.
I'm sure it is, and I'll bet the Mail/Express/Der Stürmer are having an absolute field day.

I wonder how vocal they were when the UK government was threatening to break international law?

Whataboutery, sure, but it is rather amusing how big a deal this (temporary, poor PR) EU screw up is, vs the continual deception of Boris and co, the lining of their mates' pockets with PPE contracts, and the small fact that the root issue of an NI/ROI trade border has been created by Boris et al in the first place. But they're rather quiet about that.

I'm sure it is, and I'll bet the Mail/Express/Der Stürmer are having an absolute field day.

I wonder how vocal they were when the UK government was threatening to break international law?

Whataboutery, sure, but it is rather amusing how big a deal this (temporary, poor PR) EU screw up is, vs the continual deception of Boris and co, the lining of their mates' pockets with PPE contracts, and the small fact that the root issue of an NI/ROI trade border has been created by Boris et al in the first place. But they're rather quiet about that.

Classic whataboutary. Been dismissed plenty of times by Robin (one of the Tuffty club members) as a shiite arguement.
BBC, ITV, Sky news, the lot mate, not just the 3 papers you list. I believe they were extremely vocal aboiut it, Gena Millar was in the headlines all the time. I suppose it's every dog has it's day. Anyway, Gena's keeping very quiet.
Funny old world.

The best read was from WHO, who basically said it was sad to see EU fighting for cake when the rest of the world dodesn't have crumbs.
May be shut down soon as someones got the hump or the editing will start to happen, like last time :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Classic whataboutary. Been dismissed plenty of times by Robin as a shiite arguement.
BBC, ITV, Sky news, the lot mate, not just the 3 papers you list.
Come on Bob; the Mail et al loosing their minds over a (very real, and serious, albeit temporary) screw up by the EU is like Peter Sutcliffe expressing disgust about that time Buzz Aldrin punched a bloke.

Has the irony not been lost on you that the whole issue only exists in the first place due to England and Wales voting to leave?

The daft thing is that the Brexiteer glee seems to centred around the notion that some people think the EU is perfect (and thus the illusion is shattered). That's never been the case at any point in this long and tedious argument; it's always been about a pro/con balance. I'll take a poor PR screw up and U turn over our litany of visits from the foobar fairy any day of the week.

On a lighter note, don't go into the shed today: Tragedy as Daily Mail readers wank themselves to death after EU finally makes mistake

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the south even want the place?
So, that one's complex. I mean, for a start, the name isn't "the south" or "Southern Ireland", it's "Ireland" because at the time, nobody felt that the country was being split, so much as there was a temporary territorial incongruity that would later be resolved. "At the time" here refers to a period about a century ago, but at that point it would have been akin to referring to China as "Northern China" when talking about China and Taiwan (I don't recommend that by the way, if you ever find some enemy has given you the opportunity to do so).

But as to reunification, every person who remembers a single united Ireland is now dead from old age. Nobody paying taxes today knows it as anything but a proposal, or some dry text in a history book, and that state of affairs primarily came about because the Good Friday Agreement took all the things like border posts and army bases which were acting like petrol in a house fire and removed them, and over time, things calmed down a notch. Not "calm", by normal measures - NI in the good times was still a place where you could put a foot wrong and not get it back - but businesses could business, and families could family and it was a place to live, not a place to flee from. And the border counties in Ireland felt a large benefit from that too; you don't have to actually stand in the volcano to get burned after all.

So over the last decade or so, anytime someone surveyed people in Ireland on the question of reunification, one of two things happened - either you didn't specify what the economic cost would be and they said yes, or you did and they said no. I think the majority of people here feel that it's a nice academic idea, but nobody wants to take the economic hit that West Germany took from reunification. Now you add in the DUP to the equation and frankly, we've had enough experience with being a religious theocracy (we're right now just absorbing the latest in about six reports on the works of the religious orders in Ireland and this one accounts for several thousand dead children, the bodies of almost eight hundred of which were found in a mass grave in an abandoned Victorian sewer under the institution in question in Tuam) that the idea of allowing the DUP into government in Ireland when they insist on creationism as public policy in Northern Ireland (there is literally a part in the visitors centre by the Giant's Causeway that says it's a basalt formation formed in volcanic activity 60 million years ago or God Made It Like It Says In The Bible because of the DUP). The way that the DUP maintains links with terrorist groups who did not agree to disarm as part of the Good Friday Agreement is also something that nobody here wants any part of. But it wouldn't be possible to just take NI without the DUP so, honestly, between the pricetag and the T&Cs, I think you'd have a hard uphill slog to argue for reunification here. In NI, not so much, there's been recent tipping over towards the idea because of the DUP's handling of Brexit, of Covid, and of some financial scandals that preceded both and which collapsed the NI government for months right when it was needed to deal with Brexit and Covid. But both sides of the border have to agree before reunification, so the nightmare scenario is now on the table that NI could leave the UK, but Ireland wouldn't vote to reunify. And that's a nightmare because NI isn't a self-sustaining entity.

I also agree that I think Brexit made a split of the UK more likely (though I think it was fairly likely before that). Personally I don't hold any strong unionist feelings. If the Scots want to go it alone, I wish them the best. I think however it would be a terribly bad idea unless their first act is to vote out the SNP who are wholly incompetent to run a country.
What does confuse me though is the wish to become an independent country, and then join the EU (if allowed, which is unlikely) who would offer a terrible deal and they would be swapping Westminster overlord for Brussels overlords with Scotland having much less power. Very strange, but not my choice.
From out here it seems that not a lot of people "on the ground" agree with your assessment of the SNP, and to be honest looking at Westminster's reaction to Covid19 and Holyrood's, it's hard to see the grounds for your assessment.
That aside, the reasoning behind leaving the UK and joining the EU seems fairly straightforward. The EU has more money, offers more trade, and has in the past proven at cost to itself that smaller member states are treated as first class citizens. Whereas the UK economy is projected to not be recovering in the near term and has unanswered questions hanging over it in the medium to long term, and 43% of their trade was already with the EU before Brexit (and the Single Market accounted for the majority of their trade). And Westminister has a rather bad reputation when it comes to anything "north or west of Watford".
I mean, there are a whole bunch of personal reasons but I'm too far away to see those; but everyone can see the trade figures and historical record.

You might want to think about asking for the nukes back if they do split off btw!

So, that one's complex. I mean, for a start, the name isn't "the south" or "Southern Ireland", it's "Ireland" because at the time, nobody felt that the country was being split, so much as there was a temporary territorial incongruity that would later be resolved. "At the time" here refers to a period about a century ago, but at that point it would have been akin to referring to China as "Northern China" when talking about China and Taiwan (I don't recommend that by the way, if you ever find some enemy has given you the opportunity to do so).

I was speaking in a colloquial sense Mark, so it's indeed the South, although "down below" is a common term as well. Next time you're in the North, call in.
I have a customer in Ballysadare, Sligo who always refers to "down North"

Last edited:
I was speaking in a colloquial sense Mark, so it's indeed the South, although "down below" is a common term as well. Next time you're in the North, call in.
I have a customer in Ballysadare, Sligo who always refers to "down North"

I saw this description of the place on SM the other day from a gentleman in England:

South & North of Eire

But as to reunification, every person who remembers a single united Ireland is now dead from old age. Nobody paying taxes today knows it as anything but a proposal, or some dry text in a history book, and that state of affairs primarily came about because the Good Friday Agreement took all the things like border posts and army bases which were acting like petrol in a house fire and removed them, and over time, things calmed down a notch. Not "calm", by normal measures - NI in the good times was still a place where you could put a foot wrong and not get it back - but businesses could business, and families could family and it was a place to live, not a place to flee from. And the border counties in Ireland felt a large benefit from that too; you don't have to actually stand in the volcano to get burned after all.

So over the last decade or so, anytime someone surveyed people in Ireland on the question of reunification, one of two things happened - either you didn't specify what the economic cost would be and they said yes, or you did and they said no. I think the majority of people here feel that it's a nice academic idea, but nobody wants to take the economic hit that West Germany took from reunification. Now you add in the DUP to the equation and frankly, we've had enough experience with being a religious theocracy (we're right now just absorbing the latest in about six reports on the works of the religious orders in Ireland and this one accounts for several thousand dead children, the bodies of almost eight hundred of which were found in a mass grave in an abandoned Victorian sewer under the institution in question in Tuam) that the idea of allowing the DUP into government in Ireland when they insist on creationism as public policy in Northern Ireland (there is literally a part in the visitors centre by the Giant's Causeway that says it's a basalt formation formed in volcanic activity 60 million years ago or God Made It Like It Says In The Bible because of the DUP). The way that the DUP maintains links with terrorist groups who did not agree to disarm as part of the Good Friday Agreement is also something that nobody here wants any part of. But it wouldn't be possible to just take NI without the DUP so, honestly, between the pricetag and the T&Cs, I think you'd have a hard uphill slog to argue for reunification here. In NI, not so much, there's been recent tipping over towards the idea because of the DUP's handling of Brexit, of Covid, and of some financial scandals that preceded both and which collapsed the NI government for months right when it was needed to deal with Brexit and Covid. But both sides of the border have to agree before reunification, so the nightmare scenario is now on the table that NI could leave the UK, but Ireland wouldn't vote to reunify. And that's a nightmare because NI isn't a self-sustaining entity.

Pretty much accurate Mark.
Speaking of the Causeway visitor centre, there's no truth in a holiday mad DUP MP getting tangled up in a backhander situation with the developer.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back