Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You were still a member of the EU technically, do you really think the EU was operating with the UK the same way it would have without imminent exit in the near future? That's naive.

And still is a member.
DW I’ve a feeling Brexit is a bit like the game of cricket for you.
: )

You haven't read all my posts have you :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: trawl back you'll find lower.
I've never been so offended

Z0oDbak.jpg

The great thing is John, I can laugh at myself, I know what I am. I don't take myself too seriously and you won't offend or upset me, or stop me. To be honest posts like yours rather tickle me.
Thanks. I try to inject a bit of self deprecatory humour into my posts, so I'm not surprised they tickle you. Apart from when you have to ask if I was joking, when I believe D_W, who is American, and as such is supposed to be immune to irony, didn't need to ask.

Thanks. I try to inject a bit of self deprecatory humour into my posts, so I'm not surprised they tickle you. Apart from when you have to ask if I was joking, when I believe D_W, who is American, and as such is supposed to be immune to irony, didn't need to ask.

Keep trying John, water off a ducks back.
Heres a picture just for you...........
wm74sYz2lxCrIfFkM0sV7yHxTK3zrMYJgIAOvLRLza2FHYxDsI54uSxqrqEBToGwSbExhZ6vKrR0o4v0655XEFsTA9Jnn5-sjwJBs49HZ1_ak_AyVxYbzG8eDfXmrtIKlSdtMxee

Have you trawled back, there's some really low posts to look for.

The model 3 is an honest viable car.
Only if you discount maintenance. The average repair times for all the teslas including the 3 are diabolical compared to every other manufacturer. The truth is, they were very good at making a new design, but all the expertise the other manufacturers had developed over decades in the areas of manufacturing processes and building for maintenance (by mechanics, not by punters) were thrown out with the bathwater because Disruption! Innovation! Newness! Shiny!

I think, if you love the new stuff they have and want it, the best thing to do is wait a few years and buy a car from someone else that incorporates the features that turned out to work. Tesla is like Citroen on crack cocaine in terms of making new things that don't really last that well.

You were still a member of the EU technically, do you really think the EU was operating with the UK the same way it would have without imminent exit in the near future? That's naive.
I'm in Ireland, we're still a member of the EU and it has consistently polled above 80% approval in Ireland for decades.
As to "would they have done it this way for everyone else" they did. The UK was operating under EU rules, not EU-rules-for-the-UK. Everyone else, us included, worked under the same rules.
It wasn't until this past few weeks that the UK has operated under UK rules rather than EU rules.

They failed to promote EU from the start, even though the benefits were obvious to every import/exporter, every user of imported goods (nearly all of us), every employer/employee looking for work/workers further afield, every foreign holiday maker, every retiree abroad, nearly every Irish person north or south, every exchange student, every organisation joint effort over research, crime, whatever....and so on, and on!

I do wonder - and I'm not alone - about that promotion. The referendum campaign would have been far too late for it.
Over here, well, these are everywhere, just part of the landscape:
NDP-01.jpg

eu-treaty-poster-ireland-B17HT8.jpg

NDP-Sign.jpg

When you know what paid for what because it's right up there on the sign, well, all politics is local really and "they fixed the road" is a punchline to a lot of jokes over here because every politician in the country will claim to have fixed some bit of local infrastructure. When the EU actually pays for major roads you use every day and we know that because it's on the signs.... well, like I said, 80%+ approval ratings for decades, even as we voted against two treaties and had them reworked.

But could you have gotten that effect when instead of listing who paid for what, certain newspapers were inventing fake stories to use up excess ink about "EU standard bananas" and the like, for decades? I think this argument got lost gradually over the last 20 years rather than on one day in 2016.

..... I think this argument got lost gradually over the last 20 years rather than on one day in 2016.
Yes. The referendum was a massive catch-up learning process for most of us, pro or anti. It came too late, after the event.
EU sponsored signs are up in the UK too but not that obvious. Completely ignored in some deprived areas where EU spending was making a difference but didn't stop them voting against it.
PS my wife tells me we have one in the village - a local business got some sort of boost from the EU. I'll find out about it.

Yes, because it's done on the rule of law.

Now, I've no doubt many were pretty tired of our (the UK's) BS. I mean, we kept sending them morons such as David Davis; that would be enough to make anyone hate your guts. But - it would be a dangerous game to ignore or break international law just because you're unhappy with the other side.

BTW I mention the thought of breaking international law because one side did threaten it; and it wasn't the EU.

I do wonder - and I'm not alone - about that promotion. The referendum campaign would have been far too late for it.
NDP-01.jpg

NDP-Sign.jpg

When you know what paid for what because it's right up there on the sign, well, all politics is local really and "they fixed the road" is a punchline to a lot of jokes over here because every politician in the country will claim to have fixed some bit of local infrastructure. When the EU actually pays for major roads you use every day and we know that because it's on the signs.... well, like I said, 80%+ approval ratings for decades, even as we voted against two treaties and had them reworked.

But could you have gotten that effect when instead of listing who paid for what, certain newspapers were inventing fake stories to use up excess ink about "EU standard bananas" and the like, for decades? I think this argument got lost gradually over the last 20 years rather than on one day in 2016.

I hear Amazon are going to open a fulfilment facility somewhere, did you hear where Mark? Amazon.ie ?

NDP-01.jpg

NDP-Sign.jpg

The EU didn't pay for it, they took your money and then gave it back to you and except you to be grateful.

There is a really interesting article here.

Hiroo Onoda - Wikipedia

It sort of mirrors the story of remainers.
A guy who was unaware of the world around him, and had a viewpoint that was decades out of date. Hmmm... that would be a better fit for a different group, no?

But for what it's worth; us whinging remainers are well aware that we've lost. The problem is that the vast majority of leave voters also lost; they just haven't realised it (I'd like to add "yet", but I'm not that optimistic). The spoils of victory do also appear to be a bit thin on the ground.

The EU didn't pay for it, they took your money and then gave it back to you and except you to be grateful.

I think you get that point partially wrong. Indeed, UK was a net contributor to the EU budget, so in a way they paid for what was advertised as "paid by EU".

However, one thing many brexiteer forgot to tell is that EU is financing many large projects across EU. When handling these big projects without EU funding, part of the financing is coming from banks. As these projects are very big, you have usually many banks financing the infrastructure project via loan syndication (to spread the risk). Which is costly in term of interests.

Having the EU funding those infrastructure projects, you remove part of the banks costs, which can add up to a nice sum on a 5 to 10 years projects.

Except that you didn't need to defend any exceptions and hesitate to step forward with approving the vaccine early and distributing it far faster than the EU, and since you're in it, you haven't had to field any of those obnoxious snooty comments about hoarding it and keeping it away from other member states.

It's only life or death in some cases here, so no big deal, right?
From what I understand the former president didn't need to hesitate with covid planning either.....;)

The EU didn't pay for it, they took your money and then gave it back to you .......
That remark could apply to every single thing done by every government everywhere.
and expect you to be grateful.
Nonsense. The expectation is that people recognise the power of our governments/organisations to organise and mobilise on our behalf. This is what we want them to do.
With the referendum and so many vacuous comments like this, you get the impression that people have absolutely no idea at all about how things work in the real world and have never given it a thought.

Last edited:
That remark could apply to every single thing done by every government everywhere. Nonsense. The expectation is that people recognise the power of our governments/organisations to organise and mobilise on our behalf.
With the referendum and so many vacuous comments like this, you get the impression that people have absolutely no idea at all about how things work in the real world, and have never thought about it for a second

Last time I checked the UK government doesn't stick signs on roads saying they paid for them. I know my government pays for stuff, that's where my taxes go.

From what I understand the former president didn't need to hesitate with covid planning either.....;)

What's to hesitate on when you don't have a plan? (though it was interesting that the vaccines were being developed and not a peep from anyone about them until right after the election. That was intentionally timed, but given his railing against prescription drug prices and companies no surprise that the drug companies waited until someone else was in office to provide updates).

He didn't even have a plan when he got covid - he looked at one of his advisors and said "so, is this how I'm going out?"

I sure don't want to see biden get it, as his VP is scary.

We're not in the EU and have done our own thing and are ahead of the EU.

The EU are now complaining that they getting their delivery from Astra Zeneca after the UK.

My point is that arguably it's one instance of us having "regained our sovereignty" being better for us. Admittedly it's the only one I can see.
The advance orders, approvals and start of vaccination all occurred whilst we were in the transition period and following the eu rules so nothing to do with “regaining our sovereignty” which occurred on 1 Jan 2021.

How so? (genuine question; I don't know much about her... though... define "scary" on the "Trump/Pence index")
She's against assault rifles!
She's got a brilliant CV. A very experienced and progressive politician. Makes Trump family and entourage look like retarded teenagers with personality problems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back