Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chinese government subsidises, or pays entirely, for shipping costs of stuff we buy from Banggood, AliExpress et al. Unless we wake up and start to support local manufacturing they will have no competition eventually. Then look out.
Interesting. If it is true then what's the motive? To establish dominance of Chinese companies?

@Awac That is exactly what my avatar is. It is from an 18thC woodcut of a Wanderjahrmann. I had one teach me my woodworking on courses while serving in Germany and the picture came from him.

I wonder if something has changed in the last year or so though. I used to buy a fair bit of stuff through Aliexpress but in the last 12-14 months (a bit of guess on the timeline there) the prices have really gone up, especially shipping costs. I now buy through eBay again because the prices are nearly the same and you get better (well easier I should say, AE were always helpful, just slow) buyer protection.

@Awac That is exactly what my avatar is. It is from an 18thC woodcut of a Wanderjahrmann. I had one teach me my woodworking on courses while serving in Germany and the picture came from him.
Hi Droogs
I remember the first time I drove into a service station in Germany and seen one dressed in the travelling gear looking for a lift....no one had told me about this! We had an interesting chat over the next couple of hours.

What a great idea I thought. The knowledge you could pick up in a short span of time, and all the practices shared all over the country by them...those Germans, so efficient!🌭 (couldn't find a Bockwurst, so make do with a hot dog!).

Once there was one nation toryism. Then the 2 main parties more or less agreed on the goal, but differed in how best to attain it. It faded away after the 1970's. Legislation that helped make the country a kinder palce to live has always been unpopular with the right wing - remember Maastricht? - John Major had to be seen to "cut the treaty down to size" which still did not appease his "bxstxrds" as he called them. No prizes for seeing the future direction of deregulation - anything that lowers costs. In my working life (now retired) I recall having to deal with a problem caused by a too cold workplace; the guvnor confided "Well, they don't feel the cold like we do, do they?". I'm afraid that the great and good?? have no experience of normal life, and generally act as if they have little interest in it unless they are vote catching. In the absence of official explantion, I suspect the broad sunlit uplands will be stalked by those benefitting from the deregulation (unspecified) which they are so keen to see. The word "mirage" comes to mind.

No.1 son, a brickie who worked for one of the larger building firms, sold the terrace house he renovated in his spare time, and bought a 2Ha plot in Portugal for around £2000. He moved there with his wife and 2 children, lived in a bothy and built a villa with a pool, on the proceeds of the sale. You don't have to be rich, just posess the motivation. He now makes a living locally with his digger.

I spent a lot of time in Germany in the late 1950's, youth hostelling. Other youg people were asking me - when will you (UK) join the Union. It seems strange to me that those with whom I have kept contact over the years, seem to have done so much better than their UK counterparts. Perhaps the press (with it's own agenda) felt it had to rubbish the EU with fake news to hide this intersting fact.

The Euro hasn't crashed yet. Moreover, most annoyingly, we get fewer and fewer for our £. Goodies from the USA are no longer cheap. I was lucky enough to get mine at $2.40 to the £. In my fathers day, there were $4 to the £, so 5 bob (25p) was called a dollar, and that was just after the war when the country was almost brioke. Some £, eh?

The fishermen were not happy before we joined. there was then a govt. marine research station at Lowestoft (I think) who were predicting a crash in cod stocks in the 1950's from over fishing, and there were perpetual arguments over net mesh size regulations. In EU times many sold up their quota, so a large % of fishing rights are no longer ours to control what ever happens. If we had left deal-less, inport duties would be payable on entry of fish and shellfish into the EU making such trade unviable. UK punters eat manly imported fish, as the cost is more reasonable than home grown. It's all emotion, anyway, as fisheries are worth just 0,01% of GDP.

Apologies for the column inches, but this oldie is definitely sad at the outcome. If I'm wrong and we all bask in UK glory one day, I doubt that I will see it. I have much in common with those ladies of a certain age whose pension was deferred for a few years just as their retirement was supposed to be coming over the horizon.

Time to suppress gloom with some more woodwork.

I'm afraid that the great and good?? have no experience of normal life, and generally act as if they have little interest in it unless they are vote catching.

As I was just going to bed last night I caught Ian Duncan-Smith saying that leaving the EU is a good thing for young people as they can now go out into the world and fulfil their destiny, and "dominate" the world.

They really do live in a different world.

Perhaps India has just realised "Hey, you know that Raj thing really had something going for it" or maybe Joe Biden is thinking to himself "Gee, I feel bad about the whole independence thing" or Xi Jinping "Wow, you guys! You make things so much better than us, we will never be able to make anything without copying you". The Uk dominated 20% of the globe once, when it went and took things. I don't think they will allow that again...this is not a re-run, it's a new era.

It was all a dream, no sea border thank goodness:

QC7Ig37.jpg

As I was just going to bed last night I caught Ian Duncan-Smith saying that leaving the EU is a good thing for young people as they can now go out into the world and fulfil their destiny, and "dominate" the world.

They really do live in a different world.

Perhaps India has just realised "Hey, you know that Raj thing really had something going for it" or maybe Joe Biden is thinking to himself "Gee, I feel bad about the whole independence thing" or Xi Jinping "Wow, you guys! You make things so much better than us, we will never be able to make anything without copying you". The Uk dominated 20% of the globe once, when it went and took things. I don't think they will allow that again...this is not a re-run, it's a new era.

Saw that ref IDS. Thought this was a good summary:

John Cotter

@John_Cotter

This is what happens when people are educated to believe that empire traded rather than exploited. IDS seems to think British 21 year olds can get rich by walking around in a pith helmet, carrying a copy of Bradshaw’s railway journeys under their arms, and pointing at stuff.

John Cotter
@John_Cotter

This is what happens when people are educated to believe that empire traded rather than exploited. IDS seems to think British 21 year olds can get rich by walking around in a pith helmet, carrying a copy of Bradshaw’s railway journeys under their arms, and pointing at stuff.

I thought IDS (Irritable Diplomat Syndrome?) was truly shocking, and what kind of message is that sending out to the world? John Cotter has it bang on, I hadn't seen that, thanks for bringing that up.

John Cotter

@John_Cotter

That's doubly amusing considering (as I understand) IDS is wealthy because he married money. I.e. his isn't rich as a result of his own efforts.

EU agricultural dumping: Stop the Dumping! How EU agricultural subsidies are damaging livelihoods in the developing world - Oxfam Policy & Practice

Mind you, Oxfam is more of an MI6 policy implementation system than charity, so it's probably just politics rather than serious objection to EU practices. If you are lucky the EU will dump lots of cheap excess production into the UK, and you will get lower prices in Tescos. It won't help UK farmers, but there aren't enough of them to be a voting block, so who cares? Eat the rich!

That's doubly amusing considering (as I understand) IDS is wealthy because he married money. I.e. his isn't rich as a result of his own efforts.

It always strikes me as ironic that the people who promote "the standing on one's own two feet" are generally those who have benefitted hugely from family wealth.

The Chinese government subsidises, or pays entirely, for shipping costs of stuff we buy from Banggood, AliExpress et al. Unless we wake up and start to support local manufacturing they will have no competition eventually. Then look out.
Actually the Royal Mail does. China is deemed a developing nation and thus allowed cheap rates as part of the Universal Postal Union. It passes next to nothing on to Royal Mail who still have all the costs of sorting, transporting and delivering the items.

I think the one think to come out of brexit is that these days, argueing for 4 years on an internet forum brings out the worst in people (me included) achieves nothing, no one changed their mind, and the debate is never ending, it's never over whilst people want one upmanship. On a forum people don't want to give up, be proved wrong, listen to other views, read diverse arguements written by unlike minds.
Yet on more rational topics most are quite open.
I have read and follwed this thread with interest, as I do on a bigger forum where the influence is more pro brexit. It follows exactly the same path but reverse as more posts are pro, where as here most are against.
It's just a numbers game as to who dominates the forum, it therefore encourages more posts as the winning feeling is there ....................... Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back