Brass fittings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anima

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Starting to make myself a couple of marking gauges and was wondering if anyone had a good supplier of brass thumb screws?

I know its a long shot but is there anywhere I can buy the moving pin mechanism for a miter gauge (brass)? I don't have a soldiering iron and I'm reluctant to buy one just to rip it apart for the guts.

Cheers

brass thumb screws are a biut of an issue. i did some research into getting a couple and they are not cheaply available off the shelf, if at all. I forget whether I could actually even get any. It seemed to be a common complaint on a number of threads online.

This is quite interesting...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... kyard.html

Hi, Anima

You don't need screws if you make a wedged one

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

My old ones used star knobs,
DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

Which I later replaced with some studing and hex brass bar like on these Paduk ones

DSCF0012.jpg

Pete

Anima":17hptxq6 said:
Hi,

Starting to make myself a couple of marking gauges and was wondering if anyone had a good supplier of brass thumb screws?

I know its a long shot but is there anywhere I can buy the moving pin mechanism for a miter gauge (brass)? I don't have a soldiering iron and I'm reluctant to buy one just to rip it apart for the guts.

Cheers

For thumb screws I think you will need to make your own. The approach depends on whether you want a cylindrical head (as just shown Derek Cohen's site) or the flat shape as used on marking gauges. If it's the latter I would think a nice little bit of hard wood (box or holly) would be ideal. An alternative approach could be to buy a brass machine screw, and solder on some tabs.

When you say "miter gauge" do you mean "mortice gauge"? If so, I think you will either have to get keen on metalwork or look out for a worn out one on eBay or a boot fair - marking gauges in general don't sell very well so you may find a bargain.

[quote/] When you say "miter gauge" do you mean "mortice gauge"? If so, I think you will either have to get keen on metalwork or look out for a worn out one on eBay or a boot fair - marking gauges in general don't sell very well so you may find a bargain.[/quote]

Sorry, brain fart. Yep that's what I meant. It just seems to feel a bit wrong ripping stuff to bits only to make another one.

I like the leg ideal and normally would jump on it only this particular project needs to look bling.
The Philly stuff looks promising. My missus reckons £5 for a knob is cheap....make of that what you will!

One other thought on mortice gauges then - the commercial ones are all adjustable, but in reality you probably only have two or three different sizes of mortice chisel. So if you are making some more gauges, you could make a fixed-size one to suit each of your chisels. There's not really any need to make the pin spacing moveable.

(The cheapskate approach is to nail an extra pin onto a common marking gauge, but that's not bling at all!)

I make mine generally out of 20mm brass rod and some 6mm steel bolts or steel rod.
Cut the brass to size with a hacksaw, drill and tap a hole. Form grooves with a file or use a knurling tool. Cut the bolt to length and screw into the head.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349970637.272133.jpg

Rod

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349970637.272133.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349970637.272133.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 50
AndyT":12eb3c22 said:
One other thought on mortice gauges then - the commercial ones are all adjustable, but in reality you probably only have two or three different sizes of mortice chisel. So if you are making some more gauges, you could make a fixed-size one to suit each of your chisels. There's not really any need to make the pin spacing moveable.

(The cheapskate approach is to nail an extra pin onto a common marking gauge, but that's not bling at all!)

That's ferking genius! Was fiddling with mine for ages (morticing gauge, I mean...)

Latest posts

Back