Bradford's. Robbery. The only things missing were were the muskets and the horses.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trade; I've found that Bradfords is always the most expensive when I get a quote from them even with my discount applied. There is another local timber merchant near me (Totem) who's retail prices are normally about 60% cheaper before their trade duscount applied

Always found shopping at bradfords a pain in the bum, I just want to walk in, see a price, pay that price, or go somewhere else. the unwritten understanding that prices are fluid is just an annoyance
It's the same at Jewsons, Travis Perkins, MKM etc. The price they charge is based on who you are, male/female and whether you are trade/DIY.

We're in the middle of a farmhouse restoration and barn conversion so I routinely ring all three merchants to get their best price, then I whinge a bit more to get some discount. I used to drive in, load up with what I need before being spanked at the counter. NEVER take a yard ticket to the counter, get the best price before loading up. (y)

Been in a similar situation myself far too often of late but am left with no recourse as swmbo quite rightly points out, if I had stepped up and gotten involved/carried out the transaction, we wouldn’t be left with our butts in the breeze because “we’d” relied on someone (her) having expert knowledge of something out of her field of expertise.
As for never darkening their doorstep again, the old adage of taking poison and hoping that it affects one’s antagonisers springs to mind. Hurts but there it is.

If I feel like I've been screwed by a supplier I go back multiple times, but I'll be vocal about it when they present the bill "are you sure that's the right price because last time you charged me X" Preferably loud enough the whole shop can hear it. Has happened a few of times, sometimes they try to fix it, sometimes they just shrug and I'll leave with a "I suggest you go elsewhere mate they will rip you off" to another customer.

The "in person" version of an bad review.

But I'm bolshey like that.

Even managed to get B&Q to back down one time when I had to buy smaller MDF precut sheets because thier saw was broken instead of buying a cheaper larger one and get it cut - cost me almost twice as much to buy smaller cut sections- they sent me a credit for the difference.

Back in the days when a sheet of 18mm mdf was about £14 plus vat, I was stuck for a sheet and phoned the local Travis to ask for a price. £24 plus vat, said the chap at the other end. I paused. "Is that your best price?" "Yes." "Thanks, bye." No sale! I never understand that attitude.

I don’t see what that has to do with it Phil.

You and Mrs Pascoe walked out with the goods having accepted the price they were prepared to sell it to you today. Unless they have a sign that says we give customers who have shopped here before a discount they did nothing wrong. As you have said you weren‘t paying attention - perhaps if you had been and had asked for a discount they’d have given you one.

It may have been a nice touch on their part if they recognised you as a loyal customer to do something on the price without prompting but I personally think it’s unrealistic to expect it.
NOO wrong wrong wrong.

I used to manage a building and constuction retail outlet, an independant for 9 years, before the 2008/9 crash (though kept it alive and it's still in business now, so I KNOW of what I speak) - if you don't recognise a regular, even if they are only "regulars" after a fashion, say only a few times a year, you're doing something wrong.

Maybe I'm one of the few, but I knew ALL my "regulars" - aka repeat customers, by face, often by name and the majority by thier account references.

When I moved to a different company in the same industry a few years later in 2012, 10 miles away from my previous position, for almost a year I would still see them and most notably they recognised and knew me, often asking why I was there now "hows things" etc, to the point my new manager once asked "are you some kind of rock star?" I just said "no I used to manage a shop like this and was very good at my job."

A few years ago a person bought and renovated the house opposite me, it was one of my "occasional a few times a year, regulars", I saw him not long after he moved in and as I was walking over to say "hi" he said "heyy what are you doing here?" I pointed and said "I live opposite you" - he hadn't seen me for almost 10 years.

THAT is how you want your staff to be - that CUSTOMERS REMEMBER THEM AND THEIR SERVICE, EVEN YEARS LATER.

This is the absolute truth, even the traveller gyppo types that used to come in for the summers year after year, treated me with respect and didn't screw me about trying to "giff us a deal eh? cash".

You clearly didn't get that Phil feels "stung" and is now looking at other suppliers - one mistake and Bradfords have lost his business, while they did nothing legally wrong, they have FFed up anyway, lost HIS business plus anyone else who decide to AVOID Bradfords based on his word of mouth experience.

You giving the "ok" for staff to do this has lost you a lot more money than you gained from that one transaction.

Either you are personally in retail and defending Bradfords "legally correct" actions because you do the same, or you've never been in customer facing retail in this industry and have no clue what you're talking about.

Last edited:
NOO wrong wrong wrong.

I used to manage a building and constuction retail outlet, an independant for 9 years, before the 2008/9 crash (though kept it alive and it's still in business now, so I KNOW of what I speak) - if you don't recognise a regular, even if they are only "regulars" after a fashion, say only a few times a year, you're doing something wrong.

Maybe I'm one of the few, but I knew ALL my "regulars" - aka repeat customers, by face, often by name and the majority by thier account references.

When I moved to a different company in the same industry a few years later in 2012, 10 miles away from my previous position, for almost a year I would still see them and most notably they recognised and knew me, often asking why I was there now "hows things" etc, to the point my new manager once asked "are you some kind of rock star?" I just said "no I used to manage a shop like this and was very good at my job."

A few years ago a person bought and renovated the house opposite me, it was one of my "occasional a few times a year, regulars", I saw him not long after he moved in and as I was walking over to say "hi" he said "heyy what are you doing here?" I pointed and said "I live opposite you" - he hadn't seen me for almost 10 years.

THAT is how you want your staff to be - that CUSTOMERS REMEMBER THEM AND THEIR SERVICE, EVEN YEARS LATER.

This is the absolute truth, even the traveller gyppo types that used to come in for the summers year after year, treated me with respect and didn't screw me about trying to "giff us a deal eh? cash".

You clearly didn't get that Phil feels "stung" and is now looking at other suppliers - one mistake and Bradfords have lost his business, while they did nothing legally wrong, they have FFed up anyway, lost HIS business plus anyone else who decide to AVOID Bradfords based on his word of mouth experience.

You giving the "ok" for staff to do this has lost you a lot more money than you gained from that one transaction.

Either you are personally in retail and defending Bradfords "legally correct" actions because you do the same, or you've never been in customer facing retail in this industry and have no clue what you're talking about.
Thanks - I fully get it now. The best business strategy is to memorise the face of every customer and always give a discount.

As per your final comment I clearly don’t have a clue.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

I don't have the time or patience for the whole price haggling thing.

I went into a branch of Howdens last week that I have never used before, just needed a few bits and pieces. I thought the total sounded a lot so went through it with the assistant. There were two tower end panels which he was charging me about £120 each for, I questioned it and he immediately knocked them down to about £50 each, made it out like he was doing me a big favour, it makes my blood boil 🤬

I don't have the time or patience for the whole price haggling thing.

I went into a branch of Howdens last week that I have never used before, just needed a few bits and pieces. I thought the total sounded a lot so went through it with the assistant. There were two tower end panels which he was charging me about £120 each for, I questioned it and he immediately knocked them down to about £50 each, made it out like he was doing me a big favour, it makes my blood boil 🤬
So you benefitted by £100 just for asking a question, but you don't have time for it.

As I explained to my wife many years ago when she chided me for negotiating a fiver off a childs toy.

Could you get me a job where I can make a fiver clear, in 5 seconds.

So you benefitted by £100 just for asking a question, but you don't have time for it.

As I explained to my wife many years ago when she chided me for negotiating a fiver off a childs toy.

Could you get me a job where I can make a fiver clear, in 5 seconds.

I just want people to give me a price and that be the price, I don't do the phoning round suppliers playing them off against each other. A few weeks ago I was given a price for something and told " If you get a better price elsewhere come back to us and I will see what we can do." as if there was any chance I would use them after that statement.

If I give someone a price for a job and they say "Yeah but what's your best price mate?" or "How much for cash mate?" I avoid the job, that customer is not for me.

Howdens is a bit of an anomaly because sometimes I have to use them and go through the whole haggling thing 🙄

While I'm moaning about Howdens the story continued after I had "negotiated" for the end panels that I mentioned in my earlier post.

When I tried to pay for the goods my card was declined, I tried another card which was also declined, I found this worrying so I put them on my account (I like to pay for stuff as I go along as it reduces paperwork) and headed 15 miles home to phone my bank. I spent an hour on the phone to the bank to be told they couldn't see a problem with my cards, I then went to the local shop and tried both cards and they worked fine. Before driving 15 miles back to the job I called the branch of Howdens to tell them there might be a problem with their card machine only to be told "Yeah it does play up sometimes, we just turn it off and back on again and it's normally fine." 😖 I had wasted 2hrs of my day and 30miles worth of diesel because of their dodgy card machine.

Sorry about that, rant about Howdens over for now, no doubt there will be another, probably next time I use them 🤣

If you have an account at a merchants the system automatically carries a discount specific to yourself, different accounts carrying different discounts is a tragic norm these days, phill should if he has an account have been given a discount at the point the timber went through his account.
In this particular instance phil I know for a fact most branches of Bradfords in our area have just lost a lot of staff to the new branch on MKM that have opened pool. You may have fallen victim to some cock up due to this, but at this point theres not much of an argument to have.

In this particular instance phil I know for a fact most branches of Bradfords in our area have just lost a lot of staff to the new branch on MKM that have opened pool. You may have fallen victim to some cock up due to this, but at this point theres not much of an argument to have.
I suspect this is cause of all this. It's Pool that I use(d).

As they say "It pays to shop around". I am a woodworker I buy my timber from timber suppliers that only sell timber! You get a much better price and the quality you order.

Timber prices have gone up hugely across the board post-lockdown. Even with a trade account, I'm paying north of £120 per sheet for 18mm/3/4 inch grade BB birch ply, which was £87 just 18 months ago. My last order set me back close on £1000. A few weeks ago, I had to source some 4"x2" PLR AW Oak for a job for a client. 3m stave with delivery came to £60!!! I'm looking for another supplier but it seems to have gone up just about everywhere

Back