Bradford's. Robbery. The only things missing were were the muskets and the horses.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My wife paid for this, I was with her but not paying too much attention. Just under 4 metres of very dirty (for my purposes that didn't matter) planed 4" x 2" . £41.89. I have bought from them and their local predecessors for five decades, I will never, ever buy anything from them again.

I hope they bought you dinner first!
A 2x4x16' untreated SPF (Spruce/Pine/Fir) is $14.44Cad over the counter for those of us without a business account.

Pete

My wife paid for this, I was with her but not paying too much attention. Just under 4 metres of very dirty (for my purposes that didn't matter) planed 4" x 2" . £41.89. I have bought from them and their local predecessors for five decades, I will never, ever buy anything from them again.
Let me know what you want and i'll bring it down in Nov!

I'd pay about £4/m

Paid £2.07/l diesel on M1!🤣🤣🤣

Been in a similar situation myself far too often of late but am left with no recourse as swmbo quite rightly points out, if I had stepped up and gotten involved/carried out the transaction, we wouldn’t be left with our butts in the breeze because “we’d” relied on someone (her) having expert knowledge of something out of her field of expertise.
As for never darkening their doorstep again, the old adage of taking poison and hoping that it affects one’s antagonisers springs to mind. Hurts but there it is.

I expect Bradfords may say “A lady and her husband came in today to buy some wood. We sold it to them at our published price. They were free to take or leave it or indeed to ask for a discount if they didn’t like the price. We didn’t coerce them to buy or apply any high pressure sales tactics. The lady accepted the price, paid and they left with the wood without expressing any concerns. What did we do wrong?”

As okeydokey said, give them a ring and ask if a mistake was made.

I recently clawed back almost a grand by querying two invoices.

Buying softwoods is a cinch - it's all graded and you get what you pay for.
I guess it can't be the same for hardwoods as there are too many varieties and varied sources. You are going to have to go and have a look, and probably make a few mistakes.

They may have under charged you.:(

Just went on Bradfords website and they are charging £10.74/m for

Planed Timber PSE - Vths Redwood 50 x 100mm (Fin Size 44x94mm)​

https://www.bradfords.co.uk/planed-square-edge-timber-44mm-par042

I expect Bradfords may say “A lady and her husband came in today to buy some wood. We sold it to them at our published price. They were free to take or leave it or indeed to ask for a discount if they didn’t like the price. We didn’t coerce them to buy or apply any high pressure sales tactics. The lady accepted the price, paid and they left with the wood without expressing any concerns. What did we do wrong?”
In several decades I have never paid the list price for anything I ever bought there.

we have two large wood stockist here.....we went to buy just 28m2 of soft wood decking.....
that was 2 years ago, just under €800.....at each store....
the qual in one store was basically fire wood....it was so bent and split, impossible even to make pallets....

Phil, spread the word.....here everything is on a recomend basis for ex pats....

In several decades I have never paid the list price for anything I ever bought there.
I don’t see what that has to do with it Phil.

You and Mrs Pascoe walked out with the goods having accepted the price they were prepared to sell it to you today. Unless they have a sign that says we give customers who have shopped here before a discount they did nothing wrong. As you have said you weren‘t paying attention - perhaps if you had been and had asked for a discount they’d have given you one.

It may have been a nice touch on their part if they recognised you as a loyal customer to do something on the price without prompting but I personally think it’s unrealistic to expect it.

They did nothing wrong, but why would I assume they'd charge the list price when they never have before? (Besides which the chap in the yard would normally have seen the piece of wood was sub standard and marked it down accordingly but didn't.) One mistake was letting my wife pay for it - they see a woman and the price goes up. I've seen it there before. I didn't realise what they charged until we were home.

Always found shopping at bradfords a pain in the bum, I just want to walk in, see a price, pay that price, or go somewhere else. the unwritten understanding that prices are fluid is just an annoyance

If this was a list price, which you knowingly accepted - perhaps in the excitement of the moment - then return it and explain this. Most accept a “cooling off” period.

If you did not pay attention to the price, or it was incorrect, then explain this. No one wants an unhappy customer. All want you back.

Nothing ventured …

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back