Bradford's. Robbery. The only things missing were were the muskets and the horses.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H
NOO wrong wrong wrong.

I used to manage a building and constuction retail outlet, an independant for 9 years, before the 2008/9 crash (though kept it alive and it's still in business now, so I KNOW of what I speak) - if you don't recognise a regular, even if they are only "regulars" after a fashion, say only a few times a year, you're doing something wrong.

Maybe I'm one of the few, but I knew ALL my "regulars" - aka repeat customers, by face, often by name and the majority by thier account references.

When I moved to a different company in the same industry a few years later in 2012, 10 miles away from my previous position, for almost a year I would still see them and most notably they recognised and knew me, often asking why I was there now "hows things" etc, to the point my new manager once asked "are you some kind of rock star?" I just said "no I used to manage a shop like this and was very good at my job."

A few years ago a person bought and renovated the house opposite me, it was one of my "occasional a few times a year, regulars", I saw him not long after he moved in and as I was walking over to say "hi" he said "heyy what are you doing here?" I pointed and said "I live opposite you" - he hadn't seen me for almost 10 years.

THAT is how you want your staff to be - that CUSTOMERS REMEMBER THEM AND THEIR SERVICE, EVEN YEARS LATER.

This is the absolute truth, even the traveller gyppo types that used to come in for the summers year after year, treated me with respect and didn't screw me about trying to "giff us a deal eh? cash".

You clearly didn't get that Phil feels "stung" and is now looking at other suppliers - one mistake and Bradfords have lost his business, while they did nothing legally wrong, they have FFed up anyway, lost HIS business plus anyone else who decide to AVOID Bradfords based on his word of mouth experience.

You giving the "ok" for staff to do this has lost you a lot more money than you gained from that one transaction.

Either you are personally in retail and defending Bradfords "legally correct" actions because you do the same, or you've never been in customer facing retail in this industry and have no clue what you're talking about.
Agree entirely. I have been going to the same merchant for over 30 years and on first name terms with most of the staff. Always get a decent discount, and really good delivery times. Only time I've had to ask was a while ago when there was a new guy on the till. I queried the amount he was charging me for what was on the yard ticket. When the owner came over he immediately knocked it down. It's called looking after your customers, sadly seems to be a bit of an old fashioned idea in many places now. As for proper haggling, I leave that to the wife. She loves it, and always makes a bee line for the local markets wherever we go on holiday. She is utterly merciless, to the point where I feel quite sorry for any market trader she deals with 😂

Back