bowl....wax or other....PLS?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi David,

It is good advice to get a lesson or two, but if the budget doesn't allow it, try to find a local club to join (ignore me if you have already). The average club has a wide range of members from other beginners like yourself to people with a great deal of skill and expertise. Its a great way to learn in an easygoing atmosphere.

Bob

The bowl was suitably well received yesterday....

My Dad paid me a off the cuff compliment on it today, from memory this is the 2nd (perhpts 3rd) time he has done so in my 43 years

;-)

By the look of it the wood is some kind of pine which is a pig to get smooth. One trick I learnt on here is sand it as smooth as possible then give it a coat of sealer and go over it again. This hardens the end grain and allows you to get a better finish. In an ideal world we should all be getting a good finish with the gouge but I doubt if there is anyone on here that does.

The gripadisc is good. I got one after reccomendations and find it really useful

Well done (he said sounding condescending but not meaning to :lol: )

Pete

The sanding afer the first coat idea sounds an intersting one. Next time...

It was indeed a pig to get smooth.

I wasn't SO worried...I didn't want it to look too perfect; the rustic look is just fine with me.

I'll have a look at the gripadiisc...... :idea:

I did try a kind of rasp/ sandpaper-drill attachment (wlikinsins) which did the sides a bit better but not esp the bottom.

Cheers, Pete,your praise was not in the least condescending. (You want to try my Dad for that.......(!))

:)

2x packs of parkside (or similar), 150mil (6 inch in real money) sanding discs.

They have VELCRO, not sticky backing so why I bought them , gentlemen, I don't know.

Free to the first taker.....just £2 post if thats ok

:)

Latest posts

Back