Fruit bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I needed some largish but shallow fruit bowls so spent the last couple of day trying to make three of them, well one of them ended up in the bin as it was just too punky which is a shame as it would have been nice to save(I tried all the usual trick but with no joy).
At least I got two bowl one of Oak and the other is Beech

The Oak one is 10 1/2" X 2 1/2" finished with melamine lacquer and the Beech one is 10" X 2 1/2" and finished again with Melamine lacquer

Oakbowl2_zpsb210407c.jpg

Oakbowl3_zps902d037e.jpg

Beechbowl1_zpsf3173338.jpg

beechbowl5_zps2adc3448.jpg

Smoothly done, melamine not the easiest finish to apply to large curved areas.

What's the central insert in the beech Derek? I like the look of that bowl a lot. Oak one is nice, but the Beech is striking.

KimG":ncucvuqf said:
What's the central insert in the beech Derek? I like the look of that bowl a lot. Oak one is nice, but the Beech is striking.

The insert is copper heated and softened then beaten with a ball pain hammer. flattened out and checked for round, finally a light polish so as to catch only the high spots before inserting into the bowl. Care has to be taken when applying any finish otherwise a dark stain can get onto the wood even though the bowl had sander sealer applied before cutting the recess.

KimG":1rqkbi4w said:
It's very effective!

I just wish that I could take the credit for the idea but alas I saw it on u-tube they used it to cover up a missed judgement and put a hole in the bottom, but I was not going to put a hole in it just to try the insert :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back