bowl....wax or other....PLS?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi David, as the bowl is not very large in diameter then it is unlikely to lend itself to holding wet salads (with dressings).

But if it was for that use then a food safe oil should be used.

There are many varied opinions about which oil is best, Olive, Walnut, Sunflower and such and their respective tendency to go rancid, discoloration etc. etc.

The most inert oils are just Liquid paraffin,(NOT Fuel OIL) Chestnuts "Food safe oil" is a lighter version than that obtainable from you local chemist and will penetrate the wood better and dry off quicker. On a wood like you 'pine' 3-4 coats may be needed over a period of a few days due to the porosity of the wood.

If it is envisioned that only things like Nuts, Raisins, Crisps, skinned fruit is to be contained then a sanding sealer followed by a soft wax should be fine, after a lot of handling then a reapplication of wax may be needed to freshen the gloss up.

Edit: B*** Graham a fellow can't even nip to the loo mid typing now. :lol:

Thanks very much for that, Chas.

A comprehensive note.

AS you say its probably too small for salads...fair observation. Nuts raisons, it is!

Maybe purely decorative, but Mum likes stuff to have a purpose normally, so I feel quite sure it'll be press ganged for something....

(BTW, I thought the wood to be oak......?)

tvm

David

I am quite willing to be correctedon the wood BTW.

I was trieing to identify it from the bark......+am really new to this!!

I would be interested if it is definately NOT oak though??

CHJ":2gbh4kja said:
Edit: B*** Graham a fellow can't even nip to the loo mid typing now. :lol:

Pampers or bike clips work for me :lol: :lol:

David

If it's going to get light usage then a coat of Chestnut product's 'Melamine laquer should be OK ... you have the url for their site..

Def not oak... Oak isn't a good choice for salad/food bowls, too reactive to acids etc

oldsoke":2vsphb69 said:
David

If it's going to get light usage then a coat of Chestnut product's 'Melamine laquer should be OK ... you have the url for their site..

Def not oak... Oak isn't a good choice for salad/food bowls, too reactive to acids etc

thanks ....... :D

thanks also for ident....won't us it for cones then... 8)

good job i DID get it wrong (for the bowl)by the sounds....

BTW, just ytawling through Woolies earlier....found....guess what? A nice bowl.......approx 6" wide/4" or so deep..........how much? £2.

Sigh.

I was in town for dental appoinment...pulled out a filling (with soem floss)a couple of days ago.

That little stunt has cost me £50 ANAD. (thats NHS.... not private!)

Not good.

TVM,

David

Hiya David, well done on your first bowl .. wonder how many of our Mam's have our first bowl? :lol:
As for woolies £2 bowl .. PAH! mass produced machined bowl ain't the same as hand made!! Your Mam's bowl will be unique and made with her in mind .. Woolies eat your heart out!! :)

mrs. sliver":1h9k3653 said:
Hiya David, well done on your first bowl .. wonder how many of our Mam's have our first bowl? :lol:
As for woolies £2 bowl .. PAH! mass produced machined bowl ain't the same as hand made!! Your Mam's bowl will be unique and made with her in mind .. Woolies eat your heart out!! :)

indeed so... 8)

Also, the woolies item WAS plastic... :shock:

No, it'll no doubt be .........rustic..... but she'll like it more for that.

Alie Barnes":tnlmzuiz said:
how have you attached the bowl to the faceplate?

I made up a template of mdf, screwed that to the faceplat....then glued that to the log (which it was.....took it off my wood pile :) )

I did (chain)saw a few bits off it BTW, to get ti to a reasonable size.

[
Picture2003copy-4.jpg

Picture2002copy-3.jpg

Picture2001copy-1.jpg

Thought you might like to see the finished pruduct, gentlemen.

I ahve no doubt you guys would do it twice as well, in half the time.....but for a first attempt I dont think its too bad.

Thanks very much for the input.

Got the oil fine BTW Terry!

(Completed just in time for my Mums B'day next week ...16th when ever that is.)

(apolgies for the crude address cloning out!)

Any thoughts, BTW?

One thing I did have a little touble with was getting a clean finish on the INSIDE of the bowl...esp as I'm tooled up for turning between centres.

There must be something you can attach to an electric drill to sand the inside....and espescially the BOTTOM to a nice finish.,

So far, so good David ... what will the next one look like?

Take a look at Chas' gallery for inspiration, note how shapes have developed over time.

Edit
Our posts must have crossed David... try and get a Tim Skilton abrasive pas attachment for your drill... heavy sanding with coarse grit will always work but there's more satisfaction in getting a clean cut with a gouge!!

Maybe it's time to take a session with a tutor... check out the reg of prof turners site for one near you...

Good start David :D
As for a sanding solution i believe that the GRIP A DISC,is a good one to use.Haven't got one meself yet,something else that's on the wanted list :roll:
Keep it up.
Paul.J.

"but there's more satisfaction in getting a clean cut with a gouge!! "...

Yes that did seem hard work.

I'll have to look into that...Keiths book!

I guess I wasn't doing some thing quite right!

"Maybe it's time to take a session with a tutor... check out the reg of prof turners site for one near you..."

most certainly in an ideal world....

Going to have to be teach your (my) - self though.

cheers....

Davidf":2qeeovae said:
Going to have to be teach your (my) - self though.

cheers....

Good luck :lol:

(remember, it's easier to learn than unlearn :wink: )

Back