Bowl Savers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Tom

If I had the money I would go for the kelton rather than the woodcut.

It is more versatile as you say and is easy to use once you get over the initial nerves.

I have used one a couple of times and it is very good.

Before using it on the blokes wood get some you arent bothered about and have a play, I would recomend this with any system.

john

The standard set of blades can core blanks to about 14 inches max. The large set can core 18 inches max. Before trying the large set, learn to use the standard set. Some what like stepping up from a 12 inch lathe to a VB 36. There is a learning curve with it, kind of like a bowl turner learning to use a skew. If you get it and have problems, send me an e-mail.
robo hippy

Thanks guys. Still not completely decided, but it appears the Kelton is a bit cheaper, so that'll probably win.

Wizer,

I recently got a Kelton corer, and I think that it is fair to say that some practice is going to be required before I'm really any good with it. I managed to get a core out on my second attempt though (first attempt failed due to a lack of grip in the chuck, solved by using a faceplate). I got it so that I could make some sets of bowls, although it will be a while before I expect to have any really good ones. If you have plenty of wood to practice on, and time to practice, then I'm sure that it's just a matter of learning to use the tool.

Cheers,

Dod

Yes, it really isn't a tool that you can just pick up and use. It really helps to have some one show you what to do, or get one of the DVDs. One of those things you could figure out on your own after a while, but some instruction can save you a lot of wood and time.
robo hippy

Latest posts

Back