Bots.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you got Alexa or anything like that ?.

Apparently they listen in on every snippet of information and send it back to the company.
It's a telescreen, and you are not permitted to turn it off you know else Thinkpol will pay you a visit!

I've got adverts for private schools, GP vacancy in Breamar!!! Better than funeral plans I guess!

I'm pretty certain that Alexa doesn't. I can't talk for Siri or Google, though.
The current generation of home devices send data to the cloud to be interpreted. This is only after the trigger word has been said. On Alexa you can configure it to process locally but that’s not the default setting. It also degrades the performance of the recognition. Siri is cloud only in current generations but they have announced they are introducing on device option. Google is the prime offender in un authorised data slurping. If you have a Google app, pretty much any of them, running then it is sending everything. They even manage to generate enough cross references from social media interactions to be able to target friends and family as well. I avoided anything from Google and don’t grant permissions for access to microphone or camera. If they then say they can’t work they go in the trash.

Great example from our house. My daughter was staying and opened the fridge and said “what are nematodes” because my wife had some stored there. My daughter immediately started receiving adverts for pest control, nematodes and gardening. All from a single question when she had her phone in her pocket.

The current generation of home devices send data to the cloud to be interpreted. This is only after the trigger word has been said. On Alexa you can configure it to process locally but that’s not the default setting. It also degrades the performance of the recognition. Siri is cloud only in current generations but they have announced they are introducing on device option. Google is the prime offender in un authorised data slurping. If you have a Google app, pretty much any of them, running then it is sending everything. They even manage to generate enough cross references from social media interactions to be able to target friends and family as well. I avoided anything from Google and don’t grant permissions for access to microphone or camera. If they then say they can’t work they go in the trash.

Great example from our house. My daughter was staying and opened the fridge and said “what are nematodes” because my wife had some stored there. My daughter immediately started receiving adverts for pest control, nematodes and gardening. All from a single question when she had her phone in her pocket.
I say tomato, you say nematodes.
Just turn the whole fridge off.

Back