Unwanted emails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart little

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to stop unwanted emails that won't take 'NO' for an answer?
Since buying from AliExpress, I get daily message offers. I cannot find an 'unsubscribe', so send them to spam. This stopped them for a while, but now I'm receiving them again, despite sending them, each time to 'Spam, spam, spam, spam!!!!!!!!!

I've just looked again & found 'unsubscribe', now keeping my phalanx crossed!

Last edited:
I've unsubscribed from a few senders but they persisted. Then I found the BLOCK function.

This works well except for some persistent sites who send the same excrement from different email addresses.

I'm wondering is there any way to block content rather than address

Sometimes it's better to block the domain rather than a specific address (the bit after "@"). I had a company bothering me from several different addresses and it was solved immediately.

I use a program called MailWasher Pro, have done for years and highly recommend it. Set up to pre-check/review mail before downloading. Any known Spam it marks for deletion. Any you don't want you either set as Spam and delete or just delete.

*The very best part of it is that you can set to BOUNCE the Spam and unwanted mail back to the sender*. Link to details of it:

MailWasher Pro | Firetrust

Last edited:
I use a program called MailWasher Pro, have done for years and highly recommend it. Set up to pre-check/review mail before downloading. Any known Spam it marks for deletion. Any you don't want you either set as Spam and delete or just delete.

*The very best part of it is that you can set to BOUNCE the Spam and unwanted mail back to the sender*. Link to details of it:

MailWasher Pro | Firetrust
Better yet -- install & use [PEGASUS MAIL] - the best e-mail client there is. It has all the features you cite in MailWasher already built in and handles POP3 or IMAP and doesn't have any dependency upon Windows infrastructure (ie. it doesn't use the 'Registry') so can be moved from one PC to another without hassle.

Better yet -- install & use [PEGASUS MAIL] - the best e-mail client there is. It has all the features you cite in MailWasher already built in and handles POP3 or IMAP and doesn't have any dependency upon Windows infrastructure (ie. it doesn't use the 'Registry') so can be moved from one PC to another without hassle.
Good to see a recommendation for another capable email client that does as you state... As does and can MailWasher Pro. Also on multiple computers along with a mobile version - which ive yet to give a try.
I'd guess there are also others that do likewise these days - they all pretty much follow each other in the capability. It's just a case of whatever you happen upon at the time that fits your needs and works. Having purchased the Life Time License version *many years ago* (like 2000~2005? Maybe before? ), getting all updates, I don't have to pay for further licensing after 1/2/5 or whatever time periods they have.

I'd guess there are also others that do likewise these days -
I doubt it - - - developement of e-mail clients was totally stifled when Micro$oft created that abomination 'Outlook' and included it in the O/S.

I can only think of Thunderbird and Pegasus as the remaining 3rd party clients. At one time I had some 300+ customers and the majority of them (along with other 'friends') were using Pegasus. My current oldest customer is 95 and still using Pegasus which I installed for her in about 1992. I've moved her data from one PC to another on about 4 occasions without a hitch, once by remote control from my office!

Last November another elderly (late 70's but 'elderly'!) had an issue with what appeared to be a blockage in downloading e-mail which turned out to be a message with a HUGE attachement (something like 15Gb if I recall); I cleared this using the 'selective' download option - easy.

I doubt it - - - developement of e-mail clients was totally stifled when Micro$oft created that abomination 'Outlook' and included it in the O/S.

I can only think of Thunderbird and Pegasus as the remaining 3rd party clients. At one time I had some 300+ customers and the majority of them (along with other 'friends') were using Pegasus.
...<snip>...

@J-G

Not sure if we've a slight misunderstanding... MailWasher Pro let's you preview the emails *before* download. So you can see which are already known to be Spam as well as the legitimate emails. You can also see/select those yet to be defined as Spam or any unwanted emails, select to delete (Wash) and bounce back to the senders. After the "Wash" you then get your email client program - in my case Thunderbird - to download the emails. If you already know this then I apologise for the misunderstanding. I expect you do with being involved in computing.

I seem to recall trying Pegasus mail a number of years ago - wanting to get away from Outlook as it was/is, as you call it, an abomination - along with a few other things MS related... newest example being changes to the calendar app being incorporated into the new Outlook this month.

I couldn't get on with Pegasus so tried and stayed with - and endure - Thunderbird...sometimes the updates make unwanted changes. I'm still of the opinion that it depends what a user gets used to... MailWasher does work well for me. The only issue I'm having is setting it up with my Gmail account - but that's down to Google and Chrome.

I have an old talktalk account that I have not used for about 12 months and it gets spam. I set up a g-mail account about this time last year and I don't think I even get one spam a month. I must be lucky.

Colin

I have an old talktalk account that I have not used for about 12 months and it gets spam. I set up a g-mail account about this time last year and I don't think I even get one spam a month. I must be lucky.

Colin
I've had a Gmail account for some time and don't recall ever getting any spam to it. I don't use it that often but still no spam.

Not sure if we've a slight misunderstanding...
I don't think so. Essentially you have confirmed my understanding of MailWasher, and I am simply saying that Pegasus has similar facilities built in called 'SpamHalter' but additionally it has the ability to download just the headers which you can view to determine which messages could be considered 'Spam' though they are not marked as such. SpamHalter would determine that during the actual download. One big advantage is that you can 'train' SpamHalter to recognise not just genuine spam but any address that you wish to block.

It so happens that my ISP also has a spam filter which kicks in before even Pegasus can see the headers so I have a double filter - both can naturally be over-ridden so that 'false positives' can be eliminated - it just needs a little 'management'.

I have one customer who is using Thunderbird (he also uses MailWasher) and as you say it is just a matter of personal preference about screen layout etc.

I cheat by having an e-mail client that handles any and all spam. Posteo.de is the service and they charge 1 euro per month for their services. No spam whatsoever since joining them several months ago. Posteo can be found by following the hyperlink and they seem really reasonable in every particular. I have no complaints thus far and it is a real pleasure not to be bombarded by unsolicited e-mail from everyone and their brother.

Anyone know how to stop unwanted emails that won't take 'NO' for an answer?
Since buying from AliExpress, I get daily message offers. I cannot find an 'unsubscribe', so send them to spam. This stopped them for a while, but now I'm receiving them again, despite sending them, each time to 'Spam, spam, spam, spam!!!!!!!!!

I've just looked again & found 'unsubscribe', now keeping my phalanx crossed!
Hi Stuart,
Over the last 12 months I have had the same issue with emails from a Pro cooking retailer.
Daily emails mounted to 6, 7, even 8, which despite Unsubscribing individually to each, did not subside. I called the company and their customer services blamed me for having ticked ✅ a marketing request box when making a purchase; more like, I didn’t until a secreted marketing box!! However, I was advised that they would remove me (my email) from their marketing lists, which could take up to 3 months to work through the system. Indeed it did!
Lo and behold, the emails started again last month, out of the blue. Without hesitation I left feedback on trustpilot outlining the above and indicating my polite farewells to Pro-Cook. Within 24 hours of the review being posted, Pro-Cook acknowledged the feedback and referred it to their marketing department.
All credit due here to Pro-Cook; the emails ceased immediately!
Good lock. Andy.

I am getting a lot of gambling requests from @Jean-patrique.co.uk these come through with different first line designations, Jean Patrique are a legitimate company without the hyphen, but where not interested when I contacted them.

I am getting a lot of gambling requests from @Jean-patrique.co.uk these come through with different first line designations, Jean Patrique are a legitimate company without the hyphen, but where not interested when I contacted them.
Why would they need to be? They have zero control over these emails as they don't come from them!

I would have thought that it was obvious that whoever is sending you those emails is simply doctoring the senders address and piggy-backing on Jean Patrique's name.

They should be concerned as someone is using their name to send spam mail, whether they have control or not, strange view point from you and them, and why don't you state the obvious. 😳

Back