Bosch Router Woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Established Member
Reaction score
In the shop today making some raised panel doors for a cupboard that's nearing completion. Routing the stiles and rails. All going well, suddenly the router just stops, I had just finished a piece so it wasn't even under load.

After lots of tinkering found the fuse had gone, replaced it but no good. Suspecting my stash of fuses may be dodgy I confirmed one was good and fitted it, blew as soon as I tried to apply power, no spin up or noise or anything, just an instant blown fuse.

The router is a Bosch GOF1300ACE. I have had it 10+ years so it has done well but it is a great machine and a new one would be expensive.

I tried cleaning it out etc, didn't think that would make a difference and it didn't!

Anyone have any advice or know where I could possibly get it repaired?

Check the brushes,see if they're on thier last legs? if they can be taken out externally without dismantling the router? take em out apply power again and see if the fuse blows again? if it does suspect armature winding?

Tried the bushes, they are fine and the fuse still blows with them out. That was a link to the POF mines the GOF, but I found the GOF on there so many thanks for that George.

Do you know if I can confirm it is the winding before buying a new one?

MikeH":125m5qph said:
Do you know if I can confirm it is the winding before buying a new one?

Fraid not,but you could try and find an service depot and ask for a free? quote fix and decide fom there ie they might state a price and tell you what it is? or you could refuse the fix and ask what the fault is and replace the faulty item if they let you know what it is?.

It could also be the commutator? anyway since its the Blue range of the Bosch routers its worth getting fixed,the blue range is the better and proffesional range of Bosch tools.

Strip it down look for carbon deposits on the outer surface of the armature windings,smell it.

Sounds like you could have a short somewhere its possibly in the cable, try fitting a new flex before you do anything else.
If you have a multimeter you could disconnect the flex an test for a short.

Simon

Oryxdesign":3m1u69ju said:
Sounds like you could have a short somewhere its possibly in the cable, try fitting a new flex before you do anything else.
If you have a multimeter you could disconnect the flex an test for a short.

Simon

Good idea but breakdown of the armatures insulation can cause a short fault,but I'd lay a pound to a penny it is the aramature because those raised panel doors bits really do take the router to its limits and the router needs a break to cool down in between a few cuts.

Looking at the parts list, there are two things you could check before spending loads-a-money: (apart from a mains-lead short etc etc)

1. there appears to be a suppressor capacitor direct across the mains, right after the mains switch. This can be removed pro-tem to see if it's the culprit.

2. the schematic shows some kind of thyristor control: is this router variable-speed?

Thee are ways of checking the armature is you suspect that it has in fact suffered a failure, but often there's a funny smell and the commutator sometimes has an uneven appearance if the armature died over some period of time.

John

Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions folks. I had thought of the mains cable but tested that by plugging the unit in and switching it on at the mains but NOT powering it up. The fuse didn't blow which told me the fault was after the switch on the unit.

John, it is variable speed. I am not that confident in taking it all apart and disconnecting bits though. Anyway, found a local repair shop that does a diagnosis and lets you know the fault and fix cost. Will see what they come up with.

Thanks again all.

All fixed. Local outfit diagnosed it as the suppressor so you were right there John. All sorted for £25 so I am a happy bunny.

On with my raised panel doors now!

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with suggestions.

This is a very old thread but I came across it whilst searching for a solution when my 1998 Bosch GOF 1300 router, after may years of reliability, started blowing mains fuses whenever I turned it on.
After reading the comments here I removed the suppressor which stopped the problem, meaning that for £7.80 I'll be able to continue using my trusty old tool and not consign it to the scrap heap.

Back