Bootfair this weekend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All....

The bootfair today was packed....and I had to watch the stall quite a bit of the time but still found time to nip out on sorties to gather the gems...and today there were a few gems for my £25 budget.

I don't normally buy furniture...can't be bothered with it but this was something I could not turn down:

DSC_0651.JPG

I simply love Art Deco and this has absolutely everything...it virtually screamed POIROT!!!!

I also like burr walnut so I really had to indulge!

DSC_0652.JPG

There is quite a bit of damage...the whole top needs re-veneering which is no problem...I am used to veneers from my guitar making and have quite a collection of fine bookmatched sheets...but the handles might tax my brain a bit...

DSC_0655.JPG

Two have lost their bottom edges...but nil desperandum...I have some ivorine which I can whittle down to match and brew a strong cup of tea to get the colour right....but look at that burr...

DSC_0653.JPG

It needs French Polishing but then...so will the top...when I replace the veneer...so no problems there...

Should make a nice place to store my planes! :mrgreen: ...and for a tenner...well.... :wink:

I was about to troll Fleabay for some nice larger files but I don't have to now....

DSC_0662.JPG

A bunch of brand NOS Nicholsons no less...and for a quid each...hands were snapped off!

....and 50p each for the 10 packs of cobalt 24T hacksaw blades...well...you can never have enough hacksaw blades! And lastly in this picture...they really must have stuck a lot of pigs in Kent...that's all I can say...20p!

Right....now...a day isn't complete without another batch of chisels...

DSC_0661.JPG

...all with boxwood handles...although the large WARD is in need of honing a tad.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The whole bundle was £2 so I don't mind grinding the afternoon away one little bit. The Ward also has some beautiful graffiti on the handle which I need to clean around and will show you all later...they look like carving sketches....beautifully done....

And I need to take a big deep breath for the last item....

DSC_0657.JPG

I swore I wouldn't buy another No.4 again...honestly...promised myself faithfully but...

DSC_0656.JPG

....how could anyone resist this little gem?

DSC_0658.JPG

Yup...it's a "C"!

DSC_0659.JPG

...and just gorgeous all over....

DSC_0660.JPG

So...now the only question is...what the hell should I do with it...even I don't want to touch it really....straight to FleaBay maybe?

I just wish I had had more time to wander today... 8)

Oh...the Bailey No.4C was um...err....£2

Anyone else get out in the sun today?

Jim

jimi43":13l5hsyk said:
I swore I wouldn't buy another No.4 again...honestly...promised myself faithfully but...

Yup...it's a "C"!

DSC_0659.JPG

...and just gorgeous all over....

DSC_0660.JPG

So...now the only question is...what the hell should I do with it...even I don't want to touch it really....straight to FleaBay maybe?

I just wish I had had more time to wander today... 8)

Oh...the Bailey No.4C was um...err....£2
Anyone else get out in the sun today?

Jim

Wanna double yer munny son? :D

AAAAAGGGGHHHHH! I knew I shouldn't look at this thread.
Top man Jimi.
Another fine haul to make me green with envy.
If you weren't such a top bloke I could learn to dislike you :wink: :wink: :wink:

Refurb the plane. You know it makes sense.

Adam.

Lovely old Stanley Jim, Type 6 1888-1892 you think? It's not an infill though, so go and sit in the naughty corner and think about what you've done; I'll confiscate the plane for you if you like, for your own safety, of course! :mrgreen:

The car boot up here was packed with sellers, but not that busy with buyers after being cancelled for a week or two. Getting there early seems to be the key.

I too found an old Stanley, a number three with the V logo. Sadly it was missing it's plane...

025.jpg

Old metal box

022-2.jpg

Calipers and a scribe

026-1.jpg

Old seized Carborundum hand grinder and Parkinson no42 clamp-on vice, couldn't resist taking it apart prior to electrolysis

002-10.jpg

I love old books

031.jpg

Old Mitutoyo digital caliper, don't yet know if it works, but worth a punt.

027.jpg

And today's weird object for me, an early six piece hex-drive socket set in a metal box by New Britain. It has a strange open ratchet drive which is reversed by taking the head out and putting it in the other side.

029.jpg

22 quid spent and NO EGG BEATER DRILL! I still think Jimi had a better morning though, quality beats quantity every time!

Um....in a word Tom...nah! :mrgreen: :wink:

Sorry Adam...you really need to get up earlier! :mrgreen:

Nice haul there Scouse! None to shabby at all...quality and quantity...that digital caliper is one of the modern tools I would give shelf room for!

Look next week...you may find the No.3!!!

I think my No.4C is a Type 9...it has the Y frog mount...all things point to that type but I may be wrong :oops:

Jim

jimi43":3hisogxa said:
Um....in a word Tom...nah! :mrgreen: :wink:
Jim
Shame it would have looked cute next to my 7C (I paid far to much for it on the bay) but seven 4's
is heading toward being a collector/hoarder I guess :lol:

Latest posts

Back