Bog oak coffee table (Finished.....photo heavy).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":3pyu041d said:
Anyone think welding a shaft to a piece of 1/4" steel ground to shape, then mounting that in a pillar drill before plunging it confidently into a piece of priceless timber could be good for a giggle? The faint-hearted might consider clamping the workpiece down rather than holding it by hand....

Mike, you sound crazy enough to stand out in the hot sun while someone hurls missiles at you, armed only with a little stick to defend yourself...if you do dare what you say, at least set a video camera running first! :D =D>

sploo":2dkt6r83 said:
....... with a very low rpm and taking a shallow cut it might work - basically scraping the material out.

I imagine roughing most of the waste away with a gouge first, and using this just to clean the hole up. I probably haven't got time to do the experiment.

MikeG.":2cy4pp66 said:
Anyone think welding a shaft to a piece of 1/4" steel ground to shape, then mounting that in a pillar drill before plunging it confidently into a piece of priceless timber could be good for a giggle? The faint-hearted might consider clamping the workpiece down rather than holding it by hand....
Like a rosette cutter?

I'd probably go for a raised panel bit in a drill press. Remove the bearing and drill a suitable hole to let the bearing mounting spindle plunge into the drawfront.

Obviously I don't have a clue what I'm doing. So.....
I'd put a forstner bit in. Then I'd have a bit of mdf etc cut to the OD of the bit. I'd hot glue some sandpaper etc stuck to that and a small bolt to hold it in the drill to clean up the hole base. You'd still have the pilot hole though right..?
So I'd drill another hole straight through avoiding breakout etc but of small size, whatever is in scale to the handle. I'd get some epoxy and some right size copper bar and after tickling the ends to shiny use that to accentuate without overbearing the backs of the handles I'd tap it home.
Job done.

Of course. If you'd have listened to me at the start you could have applied copper leaf to all your internal cracks, applied a clear resin and now this copper handle idea would probably be winning you awards with the integrated spirit of form and design.
Just saying.

Feckin' Windows Cleaners.

Bm101":8b16d3sr said:
........ If you'd have listened to me at the start you could have applied copper leaf to all your internal cracks, applied a clear resin and now this copper handle idea would probably be winning you awards with the integrated spirit of form and design........

You may end being the winner, because the chances are it will be a brass epoxy fill, and a bought brass drawer handle.

Steer the design team toward copper. Otherwise a general option toward industrial action may be voted upon comrades! Stand firm at the back Andy T .

Something went wrong when I tried brass powder and epoxy. It ended up a looking patchy and uneven
36063e583afeee841a1bedc3b041ef29.jpg

I've been too scared to try it again lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thinking about it I would have used ordinary west system epoxy, not a clear casting type resin. You'll be alright Mike

I would have overbuilt it. From memory I think the advice was to mix it really thick so you could hardly stir it. I'd have probably filed off most and belt sanded it flush, followed by orbital, hoover and airline to blow out the pores. I reckon the darker bits could be where the powder wasnt packed in tight enough and are tiny resin pockets, possibly, maybe....

I dont think so, although cant be 100% sure. I think it probably needed to be even dryer and mixed more then more again.

Trainee neophyte":3vghizvn said:
Assuming you don't have anything else to do, a shiny router jig would make you some smooth holes: https://player.vimeo.com/video/52774678
Ah - yeah; that's exactly what I was meaning with my earlier comment about a "swing" type jig for a router. The difference being mine was in my head, and that one is real :wink:

MikeG.":3vghizvn said:
The design team have considered the options, and brass is being looked at, despite reservations from the construction team.
The design team does tend to win I find, in my house at least.

Latest posts

Back