Bobbin Sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hpl":3fqxp2u5 said:
The reason I mention the floor standing one is that the timber I am sanding is up to 50mm thick, the 19mm bobbin doesn't extend that high when it is in the lowest part of the stroke, making it a bit awkward to use. I would then have to find floor space for it though!

Johnny, you won't have that trouble with the benchtop Jet model - that's one of the reasons why Ray has made his sub-table, so the top of the bobbin actually does some work! :wink:

If you can't get your money back then Charnwood should be able to 'fix' any issues you have with your machine. It should be covered by a two-year warranty. You should at least be able to get it in to a condition where it's fit enough to be sold on. :)

Hi Olly,

With the Charnwood the bottom probably 10mm plus of the bobbin doesn't actually get to do any work, sounds like the Jet is set to use the lower edge of the bobbin. With mine, as the 19mm bobbin is shorter, the top of the bobbin is only about 40-45mm above the top of the table when it is at the lowest point of it's oscillation. When working with 50mm thick timber this gives a problem. To use the whole of the sanding drum I turn my sanding drums over to work the other half.

I'm sure Charnwood will fix my machine. It's just that last time they had the thing for over a month to fix it and I'm sure to need it again in that time, so will probably have to get another, sounds like it will be the Jet.

otherwise I'll have to sell it to some unsuspecting customer
It didn't read quite how I meant it, I wouldn't sell it if its was actually broken. I was meaning selling a machine that I was not happy with.

Johnny B

hpl":147fd9v2 said:
...sounds like the Jet is set to use the lower edge of the bobbin. W

I don't think that's quite true, as there is some portion of the bobbin below the table which doesn't get used. I think it's simply a case of the Jet bobbins being taller/longer than the others. Maybe the vertical stroke is also different?

I do wonder if you could buy the longer Jet bobbins and fit them to your machine?

Ray, what I meant was whether the table was secure will flat as the Charnwood has movement even while flat, the adjusters are rather flimsy and so the table moves if much pressure is put on it. I can live with it but if I need something else then I will get the Jet I now think. Should have bought that first time round it seems.

Olly, I just looked again at the Jet on the Axminster website and see that the bobbins are indeed longer on the Jet. It looks like the smaller ones are 150 high and the larger ones are 140. That makes me wonder if they are using the standard bobbins that all the others that I have seen seem to use, but having longer ones made where they need to??

Thanks again for your replys

Johnny B

hpl":3hbxv454 said:
Ray, what I meant was whether the table was secure will flat as the Charnwood has movement even while flat, the adjusters are rather flimsy and so the table moves if much pressure is put on it.
The table sits at 90 degrees and stays there.

Ray

I note that Record have just released an oscillating spindle sander for £200. Maybe worth considering, as it comes with their 5 year guarantee.

Cheers

Karl

I noticed that as well, Karl. But, while the five-year warranty should give you peace of mind, at that price, it has the specs. and look of the Charnwood/SIP/Draper/Clarke bobbin sanders. Not the Jet. :?

At work we've got the CLARKE model, just over £100 i think. It gets osccasionaluse, but nothing more. I don't like using it at all, not because of the machine, just that I find it hard to use. I would rather use the corner of the belt sander, or sand it up by hand.

There's definitely a knack to using these machines. Unlike disc sanders, they're not as simple as they look, at first. Use the widest bobbin that'll fit and try to keep the timber moving - leave it in one place for too long and it will 'dig in'. It can also be tricky to see precisely where the bobbin is actually 'cutting' - if you've done any shaped work on a spindle moulder with ring fence then you'll know what I mean. :)

I had the Charnwood - it was bobbins! (Manchester slang for 'rubbish')

The slightest bit of dust falling down inside it brought it to a stop. And it wobbled.

I managed to sell it to a dealer with a load of other gear when I moved workshops last year and haven't repalced it. As Simon suggested, I use the roller on the end of my belt sander/linisher instead.

I would never buy anything Charnwood again. It makes Draper and Clarke look like Festool!

Cheers
Dan

I know someone with a Clarke, I borrowed it when we realised that we had loads of ply in the Charnwood, but it had a slight 'kick' when it got to the top of the oscillation so we went back to the charnwood. He has also had to send his Clarke back for repair as the worm drive became very stiff after very little use.

That's odd. Tho i'm not impressed with my Charnwood, it does not wobble and it's never clogged up or stalled.

Say fella's for occasional use I use my drill press with some carroll drum sanders to create a bobbin type sander. It is very effective, and I can make use of the whole drum as well.

This is a cheap option if you can't run to a dedicated machine or are stuck for room.

Cheers, Tony.

Back