125mm pad on a 150mm sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinpeer

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at getting the Metabo 450XS RO sander as it’s much recommended on here. I was wondering if it’s possible to fit a 125mm pad such as this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Your-Mind-Replacement-Accessories/dp/B0CDFR6LQB to it as I have a few packets of 125mm Norton sanding disks left over from a sander that does a while back and for £15 it seemed like a good option to use the, all up.

You would probably damage the hook backing pad where it wasnt covered by the smaller disc…is it worth it compared to the cost of your spare discs

You would probably damage the hook backing pad where it wasnt covered by the smaller disc…is it worth it compared to the cost of your spare discs
You misunderstand. The OP wants to replace the pad consisting of threaded backer, foam/rubber pad and the velcro with a 125mm one. The original pad would be returned to the sander to use 150mm papers.

Pete

I don't see why not.
It's common to swap between 5 and 6" backing pads on sanders.
Your Metabo is a 6" so going to 5" won't cause it any stress.

Metabo themselves don't list a 125mm pad for the 450. That could be because they want you to buy 2 different sanders / they have no adjustable balance weights so if you change the pad to anything other than their own 150mm one, the vibration may increase / the diameter of the pad might affect dust extraction a little or braking of the pad when you switch off.

Your sander may not meet it's specs with a different pad but I doubt it will come to any harm.

Don't have an answer to your question, @justinpeer, but as an owner of the SXE 450, I am also curious to know if a 125mm pad works on this machine.

My only reservation would relate to the SXE 450's weight - it may be too heavy for a 125mm pad and potentially unstable.

Either way, if you decide to give it a go and purchase the 125mm pad, please post here the outcome of your test.

I find this sander to be good all round, I use a combination of grit and pressure, so for initial removal of material I just use a P40 or P60 and often for a painted finish a P180 or P240. I also think it has good dust extraction just using the canister, but for larger jobs obviously use a hose and extraction system.

I had a=the Metabo 250, but found it had too much vibration for my hands - carpal tunnel - so I sold it & bought a Makita (I already had the 125) & found that was very comfortable to use after the Metabo.

Back